Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dunk to Arsenal in January for £35-40m

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
In an ironic way Dunk will be able to show Southgate how good a player he is by staying with us. If he goes to one of the big clubs he will have better players around him than he will with us. Stay with us and he will have more attacks coming at him so that he can show how good he is at repelling them.

Good point. Southgate is not a moron and like everyone else, is impressed with Dunk. Moving to a top PL club would not factor highly in a decision for the WC squad IMHO when he is up against the best anyway and clearly stands out as a class act.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
In an ironic way Dunk will be able to show Southgate how good a player he is by staying with us. If he goes to one of the big clubs he will have better players around him than he will with us. Stay with us and he will have more attacks coming at him so that he can show how good he is at repelling them.

I honestly think it will be better for Dunk's career if he plays at least one full season with the Albion in the Prem.

As for England, I don't think he'll need to leave the Albion to get his call-up - even if you play for an unfashionable club if you're in the Prem and look the part you'll get a chance (see Maguire, Abraham, Cork, Heaton, Loftus-Cheek). Indeed, if Jamie Carragher / Gary Neville were picking the England WC squad I think he'd be in it now.

Will Dunk be willing to risk leaving his teammates halfway through the season, and could he live with himself if he left and we got relegated?

Surprised this took so long to be said.

Who is saying that he will have a better chance of the WC squad with Arsenal? Paul Merson?

I honestly think every top 6 club, other than perhaps Spurs will be looking at him. We can send him to auction in the summer if that's the move he wants.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Maybe if Dunk wants to go to the World up as long as Southgate is in charge, he should have played for England at U21, U20, U19 etc. level.

Just a thought.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I must admit that I would rather buy Dunk and Duffy as a pair. £100m would do.
We'd need to buy a 'home grown' player if that happened or only be allowed to name a 24 man squad.

( or replace Maenpaa with Walton in the squad ).

Last edited:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Arsenal don't win anything. He could do better than them.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
We'd need to buy a 'home grown' player if that happened or only be allowed to name a 24 man squad.

( or replace Maenpaa with Walton in the squad ).

Krul is also out of contract (sig)

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
There would be a trio of attractions, wouldn't there?

- Salary - a significant, and potentially life-changing, pay rise.
- Playing for one of the big boys in the world's most famous league.
- A chance of forcing his way into the World Cup squad. Realistically he has 2 chances of that now in his career.

All of those reasons are absolutely why Dunk may want to go, and perfectly understandable. But you could achieve a higher salary and a chance of playing for one of the big boys if he moved in the summer and saw out the remainder of the season with us. In my opinion, other than earning himself a few extra bob, the only meaningful reason for him to want to move in the January window specifically would be to try and give himself a better shot at making the world cup squad.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
- Salary - a significant, and potentially life-changing, pay rise.
He's rich already and will continue to get richer. His long term earnings shouldn't be affected by whether he moves in January or next summer. His life right now is training and holidays/cars when he wants, I can't see how it would be much different.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
We could re-sign Adam El Abd and strengthen the side with the proceeds of the sale of Dunk. We might even be able to afford Sir Liam Bridcutt.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
This brought back memories of a thread back in 2015 about a possible move for Dunk:

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?322491-Derby-and-Fulham-bid-for-Dunk-Newcastle-now-interested/page10

Albeit with the benefit of hindsight, there are still some memorable opinions on there:

BG: "Because of his age I think that we could possibly get a maximum £1m for him." (Post 55)

sdmartin1: "Where have you plucked this £1m figure from? I'm glad you're not part of our transfer negotiations." (Post 62)

BG: "That is the maximum figure we would get as Premier club scouts do not rate him, too slow too one footed lack of concentration, but having said that adequate for us." (Post 65)

Well worth a look through to see how much things have changed for the better for Dunk and the Albion.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Is this a common rumour doing the rounds? I'd say no, given that common usually means it comes from more than one person!

Sent from my SM-G9350 using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I thought it was all going too well :down:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
This brought back memories of a thread back in 2015 about a possible move for Dunk:

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?322491-Derby-and-Fulham-bid-for-Dunk-Newcastle-now-interested/page10

Albeit with the benefit of hindsight, there are still some memorable opinions on there:

BG: "Because of his age I think that we could possibly get a maximum £1m for him." (Post 55)

sdmartin1: "Where have you plucked this £1m figure from? I'm glad you're not part of our transfer negotiations." (Post 62)

BG: "That is the maximum figure we would get as Premier club scouts do not rate him, too slow too one footed lack of concentration, but having said that adequate for us." (Post 65)

Well worth a look through to see how much things have changed for the better for Dunk and the Albion.

I see where you're going regarding that thread, however there is a genuine chance Dunky will move on. I hope he stays, he's been a great servant and a great player, and he's one of our own, but I do feel there could be a good chance of him moving on in January (or the summer).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here