Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dunk to Arsenal in January for £35-40m

Tory Boy

Jun 14, 2004
Brighton
No chance of him moving this January.

Might be different in the summer, but no amount of money will budge our Chairman until then.

TB

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
But whats that got to do with us, right now? We'd rather Dunk got a slightly improved chance at a world cup call up than Brighton stay in the premier league? Not for me mate.

But it's about the player not the club, do you not get it?

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
We would need a replacement ,of some magnitude already lined up before,TB sanctioned any such move,maybe other areas also strengthened to improve the whole squad overall.Sidwell to retire,Shalak loaned out,Murphy sold are the 3 players in the squad most at risk .Goldson perhaps would have to stay if Dunk was sold.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Back 3 at the moment. Which may be an issue, as it’s a system he hasn’t played in that often.

Would that give him a shot at one of two starting places (left AND centre) rather than one in a traditional back four (left centre)?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
He signed a five-year contract not very long ago. You really think Lewis Dunk will go on strike if we decide to sell him in July rather than in January?

Where have I mentioned that? If someone comes in with a 30 mill bid, a top six side, he will ask to move, quite simply. The club won't stand in his way. This is about England and getting in the summer squad. He will be 29 come the next WC, so this may be one of two opportunities in his career. As I said, the club would not stand in his way.

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
As others have said, I can't imagine the club will want to sell him in January, but it may be that they have little option.

What if we have at least 25 points come January? Potentially only another 10-15 points required to stay in the league, and will losing Dunk really prevent us from picking up these points? We could get a decent replacement in for a fraction of the cost and we already have two good back up options.

I think the key thing here is not the salary, but the World Cup. If the salary is the main reason for him wanting to leave, if his head is indeed turned by the speculation, then I'm sure he could wait until the summer and finish the season with us. If he feels that he'll increase his chances of making the world cup squad by moving to a top 6 team then that's a different story, and I would be very surprised if the club were to prevent him from doing so given the loyalty he has shown us over the years despite interest from other clubs.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Not good to lose a 'home grown' player from the 25 man squad as we are just 1 above the lower limit I think.

Krul !
Rosenior
Dunk
Duffy !
Goldson
Stephens
Sidwell
March
Baldock

( Murray doesn't qualify ! )

8 is the minimum needed.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
As others have said, I can't imagine the club will want to sell him in January, but it may be that they have little option.

What if we have at least 25 points come January? Potentially only another 10-15 points required to stay in the league, and will losing Dunk really prevent us from picking up these points? We could get a decent replacement in for a fraction of the cost and we already have two good back up options.

I think the key thing here is not the salary, but the World Cup. If the salary is the main reason for him wanting to leave, if his head is indeed turned by the speculation, then I'm sure he could wait until the summer and finish the season with us. If he feels that he'll increase his chances of making the world cup squad by moving to a top 6 team then that's a different story, and I would be very surprised if the club were to prevent him from doing so given the loyalty he has shown us over the years despite interest from other clubs.

There would be a trio of attractions, wouldn't there?

- Salary - a significant, and potentially life-changing, pay rise.
- Playing for one of the big boys in the world's most famous league.
- A chance of forcing his way into the World Cup squad. Realistically he has 2 chances of that now in his career.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
But it's about the player not the club, do you not get it?

Dunk just signed a long contract, so it is very much about what the club wish to do. After certain decisions on players that left in the early years of TB's tenure, we've seen an increasingly emboldened owner prepared to stand firm on contracts he believes will ultimately benefit the club.

If Hughton tells TB that Dunk is the difference between us staying up or not, then I don't think Dunk is going anywhere ahead of the summer. If on the other hand, Hughton says that the £40m could secure an adequate replacement, a striker plus maybe another player and this will give us our best chance, then he may well go. It will be the club first though, not sure if you get that or not?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
There would be a trio of attractions, wouldn't there?

- Salary - a significant, and potentially life-changing, pay rise.
- Playing for one of the big boys in the world's most famous league.
- A chance of forcing his way into the World Cup squad. Realistically he has 2 chances of that now in his career.

And all those reasons show ambition.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Dunk just signed a long contract, so it is very much about what the club wish to do. After certain decisions on players that left in the early years of TB's tenure, we've seen an increasingly emboldened owner prepared to stand firm on contracts he believes will ultimately benefit the club.

If Hughton tells TB that Dunk is the difference between us staying up or not, then I don't think Dunk is going anywhere ahead of the summer. If on the other hand, Hughton says that the £40m could secure an adequate replacement, a striker plus maybe another player and this will give us our best chance, then he may well go. It will be the club first though, not sure if you get that or not?

Clever ending to your synopsis however you are not taking Dunk into your consideration, it's just club, club, club. Contracts mean nothing, it just gives you better bargaining power when selling. If a player is unhappy and puts in a transfer request, there is very little you can do about it. I know we had similar with Stephens and remained steadfast, he got his wish, he's a Prem player. But this isn't about the Prem, it's about England and a WC in the summer. Dunky is so close he can smell it and if that means moving to a top six club he will do it and the club will let him go with their best wishes.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Where have I mentioned that? If someone comes in with a 30 mill bid, a top six side, he will ask to move, quite simply. The club won't stand in his way. This is about England and getting in the summer squad. He will be 29 come the next WC, so this may be one of two opportunities in his career. As I said, the club would not stand in his way.

Why won't we stand in his way? We did for Stephens last year. We did for Bridcutt four years ago. Heck we did for Zamora 14 years ago. We haven't sold anyone we didn't want to lose since Ulloa. Tony Bloom isn't some passive bloke that just rolls over to get his tummy tickled - or if he is, he'll really disappoint me.

But fair play if that's what you think we should do, I just hope that if Lewis Dunk does get to the World Cup with Arsenal whilst we get relegated, you'll be happy to come on here and say that the club made the right decision.

BTW, this idea that he'll just walk into the England squad for the WC, at the very best he will still be behind Stones, Jones, Cahill, Macguire, Smalling and Gomez.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
But fair play if that's what you think we should do, I just hope that if Lewis Dunk does get to the World Cup with Arsenal whilst we get relegated, you'll be happy to come on here and say that the club made the right decision.

Utter madness of a reply.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Makes sense for Arsenal. They need a better mix of foreign and English players and if Wenger is looking at rebuilding for the future then Dunk is a good place to start. I wouldn’t begrudge him going there for that sort of money and Wenger is a football purest.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here