Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] OT I thought I was a twin until last night

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Thanks TB have found the whole thing fascinating though due to 3 weeks it looks like a different menstrual cycle which is nigh on impossible

I find the genetics of black/white twins fascinating.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/real-life-stories/black-white-twins-meet-sisters-5256945

They can be almost identical but different skin colour due to black/white/mixed race parentage.
30FD876D00000578-3436966-image-m-39_1454928716098.jpg
black-and-white-twins-4.jpg

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Anyway I am 40 today and so is my bro minus three weeks depending on how you measure it. Its both our birthdays though. Gonna have a cider and a roast now

SuperFurrySeagull

Sep 25, 2003
Cardiff By The Sea
Anyway I am 40 today and so is my bro minus three weeks depending on how you measure it. Its both our birthdays though. Gonna have a cider and a roast now

I'm sure you still have the enhanced emotional bond of being a 'twin' & you get to enjoy being 1 (of 2) in a million! Anyway, happy birthday from one twin to another :)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
well I still class myself as a twin but from what I have read technically I am not.
Can you find some evidence to back that up?

Our situation is that as an anomaly we were both conceived in different menstrual cycles which should not normally be able to happen.
Yes I know, I read your earlier posts. But according to any definition I look at, being born together makes you twins. Can you find something (not just the Daily Mail equivalent of your post) that explains otherwise?

There are varying types of twins. One type is a single cell splitting which results in identical twins, or mirror twins. Then there are twins where there are a couple of eggs fertilised such as boy/girl twins, although a friend of mine has twin girls who aren't a bit alike, but were similar weights at birth.
I know.

You can also have a scenario like maffew's where the eggs are released at separate times, and there is a difference between the three weeks of gestation.
And is there a reason they're not called twins.

Anyway I am 40 today and so is my bro minus three weeks depending on how you measure it.
Our age is measured from birth, so you're both 40. Happy birthday.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I'm sure you still have the enhanced emotional bond of being a 'twin' & you get to enjoy being 1 (of 2) in a million! Anyway, happy birthday from one twin to another :)

Thanks mate. Its kinda weird but does explain sort of why we are so different. Nothing will ever change we are still twins in my book however just did own him on the phone wishing a happy birthday each way and we will go out and have a few this week:thumbsup:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Until someone produces evidence to the contrary:

twin
twɪn/
noun
noun: twin; plural noun: twins
one of two children or animals born at the same birth.

adjective
adjective: twin
forming, or being one of, a pair born at one birth.
"she gave birth to twin boys"

1. countable noun [oft NOUN noun]
If two people are twins, they have the same mother and were born on the same day.

1. noun
maffew

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

twin
twɪn/
noun

adjective

If two people are twins, they have the same mother and were born on the same day.

1. noun
maffew

Twins can also be born on different days in different years.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England

twin
twɪn/
noun

adjective

1. noun
maffew

http://www.medicaldaily.com/woman-gives-birth-rare-set-twins-conceived-10-days-apart-404575

Dunno if you would count this as evidence Trig but it is true 'story'

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003

twin
twɪn/
noun

adjective

1. noun
maffew

That is a simple definition that you may find in a standard dictionary meant for the lay population. I'm assuming that in most medical dictionaries, it will refer to twins as offspring produced in the same pregnancy or being part of the same pregnancy. Certainly, this is how I have come to view twins. As I already said, twins don't have to be born together, so this is a preferable definition. There are various other ways you can define twins or different types of twins but for simplicity, twins defined as being part of the same pregnancy is a good definition.

If we want to get all technical, it's better to look at how medicine and academics define words or terms, rather than dictionaries intended for the lay individual. Here's how the Collins Dictionary of Medicine defines twins:

twins Two offspring from a single pregnancy.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

Really?! Genuine question. My mum has always been convinced that my younger sister (born 15 months after me) is my twin. We've always laughed it off as her being daft as a brush but you're saying it is genetically possible?!

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Really?! Genuine question. My mum has always been convinced that my younger sister (born 15 months after me) is my twin. We've always laughed it off as her being daft as a brush but you're saying it is genetically possible?!

From an old Guinness Book of World Records, the longest duration between twin births was 84 odd days. Yes, DAYS. Mrs. Peggy Lynn gave birth to Hanna on November 11 1995 and twin Eric on Feb 2 1996, 84 days later, the longest interval

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
That is a simple definition that you may find in a standard dictionary meant for the lay population. I'm assuming that in most medical dictionaries, it will refer to twins as offspring produced in the same pregnancy or being part of the same pregnancy. Certainly, this is how I have come to view twins. As I already said, twins don't have to be born together, so this is a preferable definition. There are various other ways you can define twins or different types of twins but for simplicity, twins defined as being part of the same pregnancy is a good definition.

If we want to get all technical, it's better to look at how medicine and academics define words or terms, rather than dictionaries intended for the lay individual. Here's how the Collins Dictionary of Medicine defines twins:

Twin/Twins
Two individuals derived from two Fetuses that were fertilized at or about the same Time, developed in the Uterus simultaneously, and born to the same Mother. Twins are either monozygotic (Twins, Monozygotic) or dizygotic (Twins, Dizygotic).​

http://www.online-medical-dictionary.org/definitions-t/twin.html
http://www.online-medical-dictionary.org/definitions-t/twins.html

Probably won't clear it up, because in the context of say an 80 year life span, 3 weeks could be considered 'about the same time', it's also not clear if all parts of the definition need to be fulfilled.

23:59 December 31st 2017 and 00:02 January 1st 2018, for example.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Yes, although I was being a bit cheeky, twins have been known to be born just before midnight 31st December and after midnight 1st January.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No, that doesn't count. TB is being silly (not wrong), you could be born minutes apart but in different millennia.

http://www.medicaldaily.com/woman-gives-birth-rare-set-twins-conceived-10-days-apart-404575

Dunno if you would count this as evidence Trig but it is true 'story'
But they're calling them twins, right?

That is a simple definition that you may find in a standard dictionary meant for the lay population.
Accepted, and I'm willing to accept other definitions if anyone puts one forward (I'm just waiting for one, that's all). Although I would add that we're talking about the English language here, and what the lay population says is basically the law. The Oxford dictionary doesn't make the rules, it simply states the language the population use.

I'm assuming that in most medical dictionaries, it will refer to twins as offspring produced in the same pregnancy or being part of the same pregnancy.
Fair. But from what I can tell, maffew and his brother were part of the same pregnancy, as their mum was pregnant with them both at the same time.

If we want to get all technical, it's better to look at how medicine and academics define words or terms, rather than dictionaries intended for the lay individual.
Fair enough. What do they say about single pregnancies?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

I have a sister 11 months older than me and a sister 11 months younger - I take it we are triplets then

This was weirdly interesting thread and something I never dreamed could be possible in relation to the OP.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here