Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Crawley Town FC ............. Concerned?

Don't have any negative feelings towarsd Crawley as a place, but don't like the football team at all. I still harbour a grudge that we weren't allowed to ground share there. Considering they wanted to get in the league and what we would have paid them to play there, I always felt the refusal was based on the idea that we'd go out of business at Gillingham and they would then become the biggest club in Sussex. They can rot as far I'm concerned.
I think they wanted to share but council was against tbf.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Don't have any negative feelings towarsd Crawley as a place, but don't like the football team at all. I still harbour a grudge that we weren't allowed to ground share there. Considering they wanted to get in the league and what we would have paid them to play there, I always felt the refusal was based on the idea that we'd go out of business at Gillingham and they would then become the biggest club in Sussex. They can rot as far I'm concerned.

It wasn't the football club, but Crawley council, who refused us.

I think they wanted to share but council was against tbf.
Correct.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Their cheesy Man Utd badge rip off, the whole red devils thing...

I still harbour a grudge that we weren't allowed to ground share there. Considering they wanted to get in the league and what we would have paid them to play there, I always felt the refusal was based on the idea that we'd go out of business at Gillingham and they would then become the biggest club in Sussex. They can rot as far I'm concerned.

I find it amazing how much crap is spouted about the other team in Sussex.

Some serious history lessons required.

Both these incorrect facts are regularly posted on this board and also debunked every time. Why do people still think they’re correct? Do you also still believe that the Liverpool fans were to blame for Hillsborough, no matter how many times you’re told the truth?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Both these incorrect facts are regularly posted on this board and also debunked every time. Why do people still think they’re correct? Do you also still believe that the Liverpool fans were to blame for Hillsborough, no matter how many times you’re told the truth?

They definitely copied the badge, which they have since changed again.

I would say comparing a serious history lesson of Hillsborough with the nickname / badge of Crawley Town FC is pretty laughable mind.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The number of times we hear of people disliking Crawley FC because they supposedly refused a ground share is astounding.

Crawley Council certainly did well to spin that blame away and towards the football club [emoji38]ol:

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
I think the club (CTFC) were hoping we'd be allowed to go there as we'd have funded the ground improvements needed.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I would say comparing a serious history lesson of Hillsborough with the nickname / badge of Crawley Town FC is pretty laughable mind.

I was making the point that no matter how many times some people are told they’re wrong, they still believe and repeat the incorrect information. I wasn’t “comparing” the issues in the slightest.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I was making the point that no matter how many times some people are told they’re wrong, they still believe and repeat the incorrect information. I wasn’t “comparing” the issues in the slightest.

The badge was copied, hence they changed it again in the recent past. I don't really give a shit about who had the 'Red Devils' first, probably Salford Rugby club, but Crawley played massively on branding themselves like MU for quite a while.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014

Yeah I know it was the Council who made the decision. But that whole decision was shaky. They said that they were concerned about the increase in traffic, fans etc on match days, yet at the same time they still had allowances in their budget to increase Crawley's capacity when they got to conference/football league, so they couldn’t have been that concerned about the impact of the increased traffic/fans. It’s also not ridiculous to think the council would have enjoyed Crawley becoming the biggest club in Sussex, and the extra money and attention it would have brought the town. I am aware that my opinion is a "conspiracy theory" but I don't think it's really out there to think that given the big benefits it would have brought the club/town, that the real reason Brighton were refused the option to ground share with Crawley was because there was a strong possibility that Brighton would go out of business if we went to Gillingham and Crawley would have become the biggest team in Sussex.
I appreciate you Crawley fans don’t want to believe that, that’s fair enough. And you can stick to your story that it wasn’t the football club it was the council. But I’m sure if Crawley Town had wanted it, it wouldn’t have been hard to get the go ahead. I think the reasons given for turning it down were flimsy, and what they had to gain by turning us down is as clear a motivation as you can get.

And obviously I don't think Liverpool fans were to blame. I think that's a pathetic attempt by you there to bolster your position by using an emotive example, but is something that has absolutely no bearing on this post at all.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Yeah I know it was the Council who made the decision. But that whole decision was shaky. They said that they were concerned about the increase in traffic, fans etc on match days, yet at the same time they still had allowances in their budget to increase Crawley's capacity when they got to conference/football league, so they couldn’t have been that concerned about the impact of the increased traffic/fans. It’s also not ridiculous to think the council would have enjoyed Crawley becoming the biggest club in Sussex, and the extra money and attention it would have brought the town. I am aware that my opinion is a "conspiracy theory" but I don't think it's really out there to think that given the big benefits it would have brought the club/town, that the real reason Brighton were refused the option to ground share with Crawley was because there was a strong possibility that Brighton would go out of business if we went to Gillingham and Crawley would have become the biggest team in Sussex.
I appreciate you Crawley fans don’t want to believe that, that’s fair enough. And you can stick to your story that it wasn’t the football club it was the council. But I’m sure if Crawley Town had wanted it, it wouldn’t have been hard to get the go ahead. I think the reasons given for turning it down were flimsy, and what they had to gain by turning us down is as clear a motivation as you can get.

And obviously I don't think Liverpool fans were to blame. I think that's a pathetic attempt by you there to bolster your position by using an emotive example, but is something that has absolutely no bearing on this post at all.

1. I’m not a Crawley fan, though I did go to watch them for a few seasons and a cousin of mine is a “club legend” there. I’ve been 100% Albion for nearly 50 years!
2. It was the council. Get over it. The club were always supportive (though possibly not so much since the Majeed era - I’m a bit out of touch with them now).
3. I didn’t say YOU thought Liverpool fans were to blame. I asked the question because SOME still won’t believe the truth, despite the evidence. That was the comparison, which I didn’t realise was so difficult to see.

I’m obviously not going to change your mind, so this will be my last post on the matter.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Now winning 2-1 but no Cox in the squad is he injured or just not selected.

Not selected - allegedly fallen out with the management team

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From the Argus today; Harry Kewell said, when asked where Cox was:-

Good question – where is he? Ask all of my players, as long as you work hard, you will have an opportunity here. Some players have come and taken their chance. All my players have got to work hard in training.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here