Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bring Home the Albion

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
20 yrs ago today the fans campaign to get the club back to Brighton and Hove was born. An idea was written up and shared with key fans groups on the way to and from (and during) the cambridge away game.

During that week a meeting was held at the Eclipse pub in hove and the message was able to go out to all the fans.

This was also the fore runner to Falmer for All

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Bring Home the Albion was one of the key pivotal campaigns (among many) over the past 20 years. Having been unceremoniously dumped in Gillingham for what we thought was going to be three years, it was essential for the future prosperity of the club (and we were really on our uppers then) that we get back to Brighton.

It was probably the first sit-down, organised campaign where we weren't looking inwards to fighting the club. We were fighting / campaigning outside agenices; the council, the FL, the FA, the residents, and more. One should never under-estimate the self-less, relentless work you, Adrian, and the rest of the team did - especially in the face of NIMBY-laden adversity and hostility from many quarters - to get the club back to the soon-to-be city. A belated thank you for all the amazing work you all undertook to get us 'home'. And let's face it - we had some fun times at Withdean, didn't we...?

Its ultimate success also set the blueprint for the Falmer For All campaign - a campaign where I still feel the main protagonists are criminally under-acknowledged.

With that in mind, a suggestion to whom it may concern - some kind of official recognition for the work carried out by the Bring Home the Albion / Falmer For All campaign teams is long overdue. Time to put that right, especially as we have already lost four leading lights from those campaigns.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Bring Home the Albion was one of the key pivotal campaigns (among many) over the past 20 years. Having been unceremoniously dumped in Gillingham for what we thought was going to be three years, it was essential for the future prosperity of the club (and we were really on our uppers then) that we get back to Brighton.

It was probably the first sit-down, organised campaign where we weren't looking inwards to fighting the club. We were fighting / campaigning outside agenices; the council, the FL, the FA, the residents, and more. One should never under-estimate the self-less, relentless work you, Adrian, and the rest of the team did - especially in the face of NIMBY-laden adversity and hostility from many quarters - to get the club back to the soon-to-be city. A belated thank you for all the amazing work you all undertook to get us 'home'. And let's face it - we had some fun times at Withdean, didn't we...?

Its ultimate success also set the blueprint for the Falmer For All campaign - a campaign where I still feel the main protagonists are criminally under-acknowledged.

With that in mind, a suggestion to whom it may concern - some kind of official recognition for the work carried out by the Bring Home the Albion / Falmer For All campaign teams is long overdue. Time to put that right, especially as we have already lost four leading lights from those campaigns.

I know someone has been trying to do just that. The ones involved are actually quite modest and don't want the acknowledgement. I agree with you.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

I was working abroad at the time and so could only participate at holiday time - recall printing out hundreds of my own "Archer out" leaflets and leaving them on trains and anywhere else in the city! I like to think that had I been in Sussex during those dark years, I would have really have put heart and soul into the protests and consequent actions, but these wonderful folk did and so yes, even though they may be modest, and eschew publicity, they deserve at the very least our grateful thanks. RIP those 4 -what a tragedy.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Cheers Al

Certainly interesting times and one that needed a xifferent perspective. The withdean residents thought they were dealing with thugs. That was easily dispelled. Football clubs are the broadest of broad churches with supporters ranging from builder to bond dealers, clergy to cleaners and mechanics to mature students

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
I've still got my Bring Home the Albion ribbon.

image.jpeg

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control

I reckon a statue of those who spent four hours stuffing letters to every constituent in the portacabin at Withdean

What happened to the banner that was over the motorway? I remember when we got clocked doing it, it was like a really good X-Files episode

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here