Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Drink or Drugs?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Over the last few months l have been listening to the sad story of a good friend of mine, who's son has decended into the murky world of hard drugs. He started apparantly when he was about 15 by experimenting with cannabis, and now, within a few short years, he is dependent on crystal meth, and crack. He refuses treatment for it, saying that he doesn 't believe that he has a problem. His father is frantic.It affects me too as he is my Godson.

It got me thinking that when l was that age, (I am in my sixties now), all that l was interested in doing was drinking alcohol. Drugs weren't even on the agenda. Nowadays when kids reach their mid teens it seems to be drugs that they turn to, not booze. What are your experiences?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
My experience is that sadly, certain people are more susceptible to dependency than others, be that drink or drugs (prescribed or not).

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I find that for the most part, those with unhappy lives get into trouble with either drink or drugs. Recreational use of either, for people who have something else in their lives that makes them happy, usually causes no major problem.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Have drunk beer, and smoked weed for most of my adult life. Never thought it would be a good idea to try hard drugs, and rarely do spirits. Never had a problem really. Think issues arise for some, some not. Its very individual.
Not everybody smokes weed, and moves on to hard drugs, the same as not everybody drinks, and become alcoholics.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Luckily my vices in life have rarely gone further than beer. A brief period of smoking weed in my teens, a few pills and some mushrooms here and there in my early twenties but never anything like crack or heroin. To be fair there have been a couple of times in my life when I know the booze has almost got a bit of a stronger grip than it perhaps should but that was more down to circumstance and when I changed circumstances the boozing tailed off too.
Sadly, drugs seem to be the frst port of call for kids these days. Especially in citie slike Brighton. Ketamine and cocain seem to be everywhere.
When I was in my teens and early twenties it was pubs and beers at home that kept us happy. Pub cukture among the young seems to be disappearing though.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Much easier to get drugs now with the power of the internet, former ‘legal highs’ / RCs etc. Biggest joke is the way our government views drugs and the archaic policies.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
People respond diffrently to different opportunities. Some people have a greater tendency towards dependence than others. The opportunity to access 'materials' is clearly greater now than when I was a teen (I'm 59). Getting a bit of dope (cannabis) required a great deal of effort back in th day, even when I was at uni. Ironically I could get my hands on some decent Columbian marching powder this afternoon if I wanted it. The thing is, I don't want it. It is extraordinarily more-ish, and for that reason, I'm out.

So, sadly, anyone who has a problem with drugs is the product of desire and opportunity. And I am not inclined to blame opportunity.

As for booze, it is so acceptable that it is far too easy to become an over user. That said, I noticed about 20 years ago a phenomnon that did not exist when I was a teenager - binge drinking. My network was into all sorts when I was late teens early 20s, but all of us would have been embarrassed to have slurred speach during a night out. But 20 years ago it became a thing to down half a litre or more of spirits before going out. I was genuinely shocked by that (despite knowing that one of my mates, who is now a professor in a big uni in north America, used to chase the dragon in his youth). Gtting out of control went from verboten to de rigeur. Also it became acceptable for young women to get legless, take a piss between parked cars, and that, in a way that I never saw 45 years ago. There again, I have always avoided chavs and their haunts (like the bus stops at Churchill Square on a Saturday night at elven thirty, in the late 1970s - once was enough), so maybe my experience of the past is through a rose tinted wine glass. The usual rule in life is that people never change - just their opportunities - so maybe I missed the worst excesses of the 1970s and 80s.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
People respond diffrently to different opportunities. Some people have a greater tendency towards dependence than others. The opportunity to access 'materials' is clearly greater now than when I was a teen (I'm 59). Getting a bit of dope (cannabis) required a great deal of effort back in th day, even when I was at uni. Ironically I could get my hands on some decent Columbian marching powder this afternoon if I wanted it. The thing is, I don't want it. It is extraordinarily more-ish, and for that reason, I'm out.

So, sadly, anyone who has a problem with drugs is the product of desire and opportunity. And I am not inclined to blame opportunity.

As for booze, it is so acceptable that it is far too easy to become an over user. That said, I noticed about 20 years ago a phenomnon that did not exist when I was a teenager - binge drinking. My network was into all sorts when I was late teens early 20s, but all of us would have been embarrassed to have slurred speach during a night out. But 20 years ago it became a thing to down half a litre or more of spirits before going out. I was genuinely shocked by that (despite knowing that one of my mates, who is now a professor in a big uni in north America, used to chase the dragon in his youth). Gtting out of control went from verboten to de rigeur. Also it became acceptable for young women to get legless, take a piss between parked cars, and that, in a way that I never saw 45 years ago. There again, I have always avoided chavs and their haunts (like the bus stops at Churchill Square on a Saturday night at elven thirty, in the late 1970s - once was enough), so maybe my experience of the past is through a rose tinted wine glass. The usual rule in life is that people never change - just their opportunities - so maybe I missed the worst excesses of the 1970s and 80s.

Exactly. When I started drinking it was embarrassing to get "pissed", shameful even. Drunk yes, but it was seen as a good thing to be able to handle your drink. Now it seems the name of the game is to get utterly wankered and do stupid stuff, while being filmed. Not my idea of a good night. But the again, we drank in grown up pubs, not chain places like Yates or Walkabouts so perhaps we just didn't encounter it. Even underage we used to be respectful to the bar staff and the other drinkers, get our pints and enjoy ourselves without making a load of trouble.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Exactly. When I started drinking it was embarrassing to get "pissed", shameful even. Drunk yes, but it was seen as a good thing to be able to handle your drink. Now it seems the name of the game is to get utterly wankered and do stupid stuff, while being filmed. Not my idea of a good night. But the again, we drank in grown up pubs, not chain places like Yates or Walkabouts so perhaps we just didn't encounter it. Even underage we used to be respectful to the bar staff and the other drinkers, get our pints and enjoy ourselves without making a load of trouble.

Also, when anyone did go a bit too far back then, they were told so in no uncertain terms and made to feel a bit of a prat about it.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Luckily my vices in life have rarely gone further than beer. A brief period of smoking weed in my teens, a few pills and some mushrooms here and there in my early twenties but never anything like crack or heroin. To be fair there have been a couple of times in my life when I know the booze has almost got a bit of a stronger grip than it perhaps should but that was more down to circumstance and when I changed circumstances the boozing tailed off too.
Sadly, drugs seem to be the frst port of call for kids these days. Especially in citie slike Brighton. Ketamine and cocain seem to be everywhere.
When I was in my teens and early twenties it was pubs and beers at home that kept us happy. Pub cukture among the young seems to be disappearing though.
Pretty much the exact same story for me, never was that impressed with weed so never a regular user, tried mushroom tea once abd it didn't do anything so never tried again. Was always wary of pills and powders as it could be anything you are taking so it's risky.
Never tried Coke as if I like it I would have to keep taking it ! Best I never try it. Have probably drink too much over the years but mostly always beer and occasional wine... Rarely touch spirits.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Over the last few months l have been listening to the sad story of a good friend of mine, who's son has decended into the murky world of hard drugs. He started apparantly when he was about 15 by experimenting with cannabis, and now, within a few short years, he is dependent on crystal meth, and crack. He refuses treatment for it, saying that he doesn 't believe that he has a problem. His father is frantic.It affects me too as he is my Godson.

It got me thinking that when l was that age, (I am in my sixties now), all that l was interested in doing was drinking alcohol. Drugs weren't even on the agenda. Nowadays when kids reach their mid teens it seems to be drugs that they turn to, not booze. What are your experiences?

Kid living near me, respectable family pulled their hair out / tried everything to put him right, siblings perfectly normal, respectful etc...but this one always been in trouble school then police and then Mr Big put a stop to as he got involved in drug trade and made mistake of trying to rip him off. Family now under protection/worried sick because kid, now 17, got taken out by Mr Big. Ran over, beaten with hammers, bats etc and spent 3weeks in hospital and is lucky to be alive. Drugs are just dangerous, both taking them and mixing with those that trade in them. He won’t walk again for rest of his life.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Kid living near me, respectable family pulled their hair out / tried everything to put him right, siblings perfectly normal, respectful etc...but this one always been in trouble school then police and then Mr Big put a stop to as he got involved in drug trade and made mistake of trying to rip him off. Family now under protection/worried sick because kid, now 17, got taken out by Mr Big. Ran over, beaten with hammers, bats etc and spent 3weeks in hospital and is lucky to be alive. Drugs are just dangerous, both taking them and mixing with those that trade in them. He won’t walk again for rest of his life.

Not a problem. You can order them off the internet now.

Thecoffeecake

Oct 10, 2017
Philadelphia
Addiction is a disease and a public health issue. Just about everybody, regardless of their personality, how "good" of a kid they are, experiment with some kind of drug (alcohol or otherwise), and those susceptible become addicts. It's also no coincidence that there are higher rates of drug dependence in areas with less economic opportunity. There is also the issue over here of doctors over-prescribing opioids. There's hardly an easier way to get dependent on heroin than your doctor hands you 30 ocycodone because you hurt your back at work.

As far as drinking against other forms of intoxication, alcohol is one of the worst, in terms of dependence, tolerance development, the severity of the state of intoxication, and long term health effects. Since that's the legal one, it's the one we don't address in broader terms.

At this point, for me, it's all bullshit. I had my phases of heavy drinking and weed smoking, and can count on one hand my experimentation with other stuff, but I barely even like to drink anymore. I was a serious beer enthusiast for a while, and ended up working in the craft beer world for a bit. Now, I'll go have a Guinness or 2 for the Albion game on Monday, things like that, but it's a long way from my favorite hobby being drinking beer for hours and hours most days.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I don't think the levels of use are any different to what they were in (say) the 1980s, it's just the drugs themselves that differ.

Heroin use hasn't changed a lot, nor, I suspect, has cocaine, MDMA (& derivatives) or cannabis use. Legal (and former legal) highs are another thing, however, and seem to be more prevalent. Perhaps they've taken over from the sort of solvent abuse that used to be a thing in back the . Crystal meth really hasn't taken a hold here in the same way as it has in the US or even Australia, I've no idea why that should be.

It's easy for us all to say it's much worse now- but as humans, aren't we inclined to think that about everything? I see enough drug related issues at work, and I really don't think a lot has changed. It never will until somebody is brave enough to invent and implement some more innovative solutions than we currently have.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Addiction is a disease and a public health issue. Just about everybody, regardless of their personality, how "good" of a kid they are, experiment with some kind of drug (alcohol or otherwise), and those susceptible become addicts. It's also no coincidence that there are higher rates of drug dependence in areas with less economic opportunity. There is also the issue over here of doctors over-prescribing opioids. There's hardly an easier way to get dependent on heroin than your doctor hands you 30 ocycodone because you hurt your back at work.

The level of addiction to opioid painkillers in the US is quite staggering compared to here. Much of that comes down to the way the health system operates I think. Here, you're registered with a GP, and if they prescribe you medication, any other doctor you go to will be able to see that, and won't give you more until you've legitimately used the first lot. The US system seems to make it easy to go to a physician, request said painkillers (and am I right in thinking doctors are incentivised by the pharmaceutical companies to promote their drugs??), and then pop into another practice and order more.

Clearly there are people addicted to opiate painkillers in the UK, but I believe relative levels are much lower than in the States. Must cost people an absolute fortune to keep buying them all??

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Almost all the vagrants/homeless in Liverpool seem bombed out of their skulls around 8.30-9.00am, when I have to walk past them. By 5.00-6.00pm those that are awake are increasingly strung out and begging, presumably to fund their next fix.

Personally I don't like even feeling drunk any more. Maybe its more to do with getting older (and the hangover lasts longer these days).
The last time I had a spliff was some time in 1987 (probably). Far out!!!!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The level of addiction to opioid painkillers in the US is quite staggering compared to here. Much of that comes down to the way the health system operates I think. Here, you're registered with a GP, and if they prescribe you medication, any other doctor you go to will be able to see that, and won't give you more until you've legitimately used the first lot. The US system seems to make it easy to go to a physician, request said painkillers (and am I right in thinking doctors are incentivised by the pharmaceutical companies to promote their drugs??), and then pop into another practice and order more.

Clearly there are people addicted to opiate painkillers in the UK, but I believe relative levels are much lower than in the States. Must cost people an absolute fortune to keep buying them all??

As we have recently seen in other areas there are huge cultural differences between the US and the UK. One is prescription medicine. I remember being quite shocked to see adverts for prescription meds on the telly. The US has very very different relationship with these than we do, they’re definitely a nation of pill-poppers.

I’m not sure about doctors routinely being incentivised (I know there have been cases but broadly speaking I genuinely have no idea) but when you can pump money into blanket advertising for your drugs across multiple media platforms you can dictate patient demand this way.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
As we have recently seen in other areas there are huge cultural differences between the US and the UK. One is prescription medicine. I remember being quite shocked to see adverts for prescription meds on the telly. The US has very very different relationship with these than we do, they’re definitely a nation of pill-poppers.

I’m not sure about doctors routinely being incentivised (I know there have been cases but broadly speaking I genuinely have no idea) but when you can pump money into blanket advertising for your drugs across multiple media platforms you can dictate patient demand this way.

Yeah, I'm clearly no expert, but I believe that it's a free market for drug companies, as illustrated by the frequent television adverts for different products. I find them fascinating to watch- you'll hear the narrator going about how such and such a drug is the market-leading product for muscular pain relief etc. But then they're legally obliged to read out all the potential side effects. So you end up with an advert which is ten seconds worth of extolling the drug's virtues, then thirty seconds of horrendous sounding possible consequences of taking it: "Warning. Side effects may include blackouts, dizziness, nausea, anxiety, blurred vision, hearing loss, infertility, vomiting, tightness of breath, hot flushes and heartburn. May be linked to higher instances of juvenile cancers and melanoma. If symptoms occur, discontinue use and consult your physician. Always read the label" :ohmy: It's a wonder anyone ever bothers to take them after all that.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here