Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Facebook is such a load of bollocks nowadays

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I deleted my Facebook account a few months back. I found I was getting more and more annoyed by it and by people that I otherwise like posting shit.
I actually feel better, mentally, now that I've stopped as I would look at my mate whose passion is his car and think "I want a better car" then I'd see another mate who travels a lot and think "I want more holidays" then I'd see someone post about their new Macbook and think "I want a new Macbook". This despite the fact that I have a decent car, three holidays a year and a perfectly functional Macbook.
I don't miss it at all.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Facebook is useful as a 'go to' avenue of communication. I try to spend no more than a few short minutes a day. I run a couple of large-ish local interest pages though.

When you find yourself aimlessly looking at your page, or others, then it's time to realise you are bored.

I like Twitter. It's sometimes good for up to the minute news. Even then, I follow people of similar nature and interest so my worldview gets skewed.

I think it's about controlling interaction on your terms where these avenues are concerned. If you can do that then they are useful tools.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I have a Facebook account but find NSC a lot more interesting. It has got to the point with Facebook where you can almost predict what most of your 'friends' have posted before you've even logged in. There is occasional good stuff on Facebook but most of it is tiresome/'look at me!' garbage.

post deleted

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I deleted my Facebook account a few months back. I found I was getting more and more annoyed by it and by people that I otherwise like posting shit.

That's pretty much what I was saying.

I did disable my FB account completely but it became a bit of a ballache due to the way I've allowed FB to be integrated with various other things in my life. I created a dummy FB profile for administering NSC's FB activity to get round one issue, but I kept coming across various other sites, services and games where I'd used FB to sign-up and turning my FB account off broke those.

It's very clever product development by FB in that allowing me to save a couple of minutes at some point in the past, it's now difficult for me to leave the platform completely. My FB account is now active again, I reckon I post once a month if that, and rarely interact with anything else at all. I may only do it if the first thing that FB shows me when I open it up is of interest. I don't enter the never-ending scroll of doom.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I just find myself unfollowing more and more real-life friends, like the friends, well relatives really, who post photos of their baby/toddler every single day of their wee lives. But they grow up so fast? Not on Facebook they don't. A cat-photo-blocking filter would be good. Ditto a filter to block sharing of lame generic motivational messages or those 90%-won't-be-able-to-name-city-that-starts with-the-letter-L or those shitty maths things where the last line is always A+BxC=?. Oh and that one with pouring coffee into a maze of cups. Which one fills last? Dunno, you're unfollowed :wave:

And... RELAX :smokin:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I have used facebook on and off for many years but find I look at it only once or twice a year, now. I'm pleased to say that my acquaintances don't post shit. A few knob heads from my accumulation of football acquaintances had to be unfriended years ago when it became clear they were disturbed closet racists, but apart from that I'm more than happy to read the frequent posters updates on their lives. However other time-wasting activities have a much greater pull. That includes NSC. I must say, folk who have FBFs who post kittens and other shite have only themselvs to blame - they are your friends, or friends of theirs - learn to be a bit more discriminating about who you let into your lives FFS

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I have used facebook on and off for many years but find I look at it only once or twice a year, now. I'm pleased to say that my acquaintances don't post shit. A few knob heads from my accumulation of football acquaintances had to be unfriended years ago when it became clear they were disturbed closet racists, but apart from that I'm more than happy to read the frequent posters updates on their lives. However other time-wasting activities have a much greater pull. That includes NSC. I must say, folk who have FBFs who post kittens and other shite have only themselvs to blame - they are your friends, or friends of theirs - learn to be a bit more discriminating about who you let into your lives FFS

Well, yes but quite a few people who present as normal, balanced absolutely lovely people in person turn into needy, egotistical bellends when on FB. I used to unfollow them when I bothered to look at FB. As I have said on a similar thread before, there are two people that I follow simply because their extreme narcissism and hilarious overstimation of how interesting their lives are is genuinely entertaining in a car crash way.
One believes he is some kind of spiritual guru and he is like a sitcom. That's pretty much the only reason I ever look at it these days.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
I do drop in to see what is going on, read what my 'friends' and mates have to say in their lives.

I will never understand why people put their personal lives online by the way, the 'what's up hun' sh!t does my t!ts in.

But now we have targeted advertising and so many people putting up inane links to threads, fake news, look at my cat it just smiled like a human, my dogs ear looks like Donald Trump, it is just getting more and more banal. And that is our 'friends', mates putting this sh!t up. Oh and not to forget the legendary threads telling people that this name means you are more sexy or the devil. Facebook was good once, but it is just getting worse and worse and worse.

Is the simple answer to take your mates, 'friends' email addresses and just email them? if they don't reply they never were friends anyway, but I think the majority of us on Facebook would know that anyway. Social media? Social sh!t on older people's sanity me thinks.

Please, don't be the one that says 'I don't use facebook' because you shouldn't even be reading this, being cool and trendy is better used elsewhere.

Annoyance off my t!ts... thank you.

If I hated something that much I’d stop using it, similar to if I didn’t like a particular bar or restaurant I would not go in there anymore.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The funny thing about hardly using FB is when something comes up in (real) conversation of which you have absolutely no knowledge.

There is a genuine belief that if it’s been on FB you should be aware.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
My youngest son was a member of a trampoline club, he told me there was a competition coming up but I didn't have any details.
At the next training session I asked his coach for the time, date and venue of the competition, I was told in a stern voice " it's on Facebook " I replied " I don't use Facebook and never have, neither does my wife " The coach told me I should find someone that has got Facebook or start using it myself, instead of just telling me about the competition details. :facepalm:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
My youngest son was a member of a trampoline club, he told me there was a competition coming up but I didn't have any details.
At the next training session I asked his coach for the time, date and venue of the competition, I was told in a stern voice " it's on Facebook " I replied " I don't use Facebook and never have, neither does my wife " The coach told me I should find someone that has got Facebook or start using it myself, instead of just telling me about the competition details. :facepalm:

Part of what I don't get about modern living.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
The funny thing about hardly using FB is when something comes up in (real) conversation of which you have absolutely no knowledge.

There is a genuine belief that if it’s been on FB you should be aware.
Yep, I encountered this just this week during a conversation with two of my FB (and indeed real life) friends, who are also FB friends themselves.

The subject turned to something that one of them had posted about (a post that I hadn't seen) and when I asked for clarity the response was "it was on Facebook, so I assumed you'd have seen it".

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Ways in which Facebook contributes to excellent mental health and self-esteem

Photos of people you like going out most weeks
People you thought were sound saying lol
People posting inappropriate photos of their kids
The inevitability of couples who constantly interact on there having a messy break-up within two years
Feeling joy when people you feel close to irl announce their engagement, then realising they barely register you're alive, until you have to see their whole wedding and build-up through photos
Aggressive people who would argue with their pets if they could speak constantly posting photos of their animals
People who post photos of their pets/animals referring to them as "my world"
People calling their partners/children "my best mate" because their relationship, or their child, really is special
People who were once funny posting yer da jokes or moaning about public transport
Single-agenda people who humourlessly, constantly post about politics because they are the first person to have that thought or notice that issue
Seeing groups of people you like going to games together when you have been going to football alone for years
Groups of men who are several stone overweight being pictured at games every week. Everyone in the picture looks secretly sad or angry
People adding you, seeing what you're like, then swiftly deleting you
Noticing it's someone you like's birthday and half their friends are telling them "see you later" when you'd love a beer with them once in a blue moon
People you like turning out to be Tories or racists
People you like posting data-stealing quizzes
People you thought were sound sharing stuff because they think there is a prize
People posting 75 non-descript photos of every event they go to
Boasts about running times or food
Being invited and then swiftly uninvited to parties
People changing their profile photos to accommodate a template someone at the site made with clipart while drunk
People being furious
Professional strong-opinion-havers
"Hope your well pal"
People who used to be bullies, chavs or cokeheads posting peace and love stuff until they suddenly delete their account
People clearly playing out their breakdown through Facebook posts
Sunset photos. Yours is a unique view
People posting unkind right-wing guff and banging on about snowflakes
"A few thoughts." It never is
People making their adoration of their partner visible because they are having at least one other relationship
Fake news posts or posts about extremely urgent hoaxes or virus warnings from otherwise intelligent people
"I am so lucky to know everyone" or memes about how I hate everyone. Deleted account three months later
People who you could not get to exchange a word with you if you had "I am nice" tattooed on your forehead posting 18 times a day
"As anyone who knows me knows"
Share if you agree
Memes about being an introvert by people who live on the site
You're missing a party that you'll never get over
Someone who shares lots of your friends or you will see at football every week for the next 30 years deletes you, meaning you have to change your route through the ground and can never go to a group thing again
All of the group you were part of kept in touch and just went on holiday together

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
Good advice. I am "elderly" and obviously behind any social media curves - it will take a bit of organising but I can see how I would like to have about 3 or 4 WhatsApp groups that would work really well and be a huge improvement on Facebook.

Get on it. No more adverts, girls on diets posting pictures of uninspiring salads with no imagination, no more shit memes and cat videos.

Sounds great.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii

Someone where I live has just opened a takeaway/delivery pizza shop that takes only walk ins or orders via Facebook messenger.
I shit you not. I guess i won’t be eating there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here