Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Facebook is such a load of bollocks nowadays

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Get all the people you like from Facebook and can have good banter with then start a WhatsApp group. Infinitely better.

I am 6 months clean of Facebook - just leave Facebook to Mums and trolls.
Good advice. I am "elderly" and obviously behind any social media curves - it will take a bit of organising but I can see how I would like to have about 3 or 4 WhatsApp groups that would work really well and be a huge improvement on Facebook.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Whilst I've never had Facebook whenever I see over my Mrs shoulder to see what she's looking at on there it always seems inane crap where people are busy trying to convince everyone else, or more likely themselves, how great their lives are. Anyway the group chat/email suggestions are great, it's how I stay in touch online. Don't feel left out at all.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I do drop in to see what is going on, read what my 'friends' and mates have to say in their lives.

I will never understand why people put their personal lives online by the way, the 'what's up hun' sh!t does my t!ts in.

But now we have targeted advertising and so many people putting up inane links to threads, fake news, look at my cat it just smiled like a human, my dogs ear looks like Donald Trump, it is just getting more and more banal. And that is our 'friends', mates putting this sh!t up. Oh and not to forget the legendary threads telling people that this name means you are more sexy or the devil. Facebook was good once, but it is just getting worse and worse and worse.

Is the simple answer to take your mates, 'friends' email addresses and just email them? if they don't reply they never were friends anyway, but I think the majority of us on Facebook would know that anyway. Social media? Social sh!t on older people's sanity me thinks.

Please, don't be the one that says 'I don't use facebook' because you shouldn't even be reading this, being cool and trendy is better used elsewhere.

Annoyance off my t!ts... thank you.

Never realised I was cool and trendy

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Whatsapp is far better.
Recently on FB one of my "friends" has been posting in great detail the illness and subsequent treatment their child has been going through. Now, of course one feels for them and wishes them well but I dunno, to me it seemed a little crass. Something that would have been better kept to close friends and family. Pictures of the child in hospital beds and post-op.
This is a woman that generally keep a running commentary on their lives on FB anyway but I thought this was a step too far.

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
I have more or less given up reading books in favour of staring at my phone. One is infinitely more pleasurable than the other but still I keep staring.

I binned facebook on new years day this year for exactly this reason. I've been an avid reader my whole life, squeezing in a few pages while sat on the bog, waiting for the train, waiting for the wife outside shops. I noticed last year that facebook was replacing my book at all of these moments and more, and that it was really really pi$$ing me off because it's full of people who are happier than me, eat better dinners than me, have better holidays than me, and worst of all full of over-sharers who projectile vomit literally every single good/bad/ugly moment of their lives all over it. I can do without that. Haven't looked at it for 11 months and I feel liberated.

Charlie Brooker's Black Mirror S3 E1 'Nosedive' is well worth a watch if you like to catastrophise the way the social media world is going. I'd say we're not far off his observation.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
I feel Facebook is just a medium for people to seek attention. Like advertising it appeals to a basic desire to be respected by others, displaying your wonderful life and possessions. Ultimately, like advertising, it will only make you unhappy as it holds a mirror up to what your life lacks. Breeding Materialism and jealousy of others.

Ditch Facebook and glossy magazines and feel better for it.

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
I do drop in to see what is going on, read what my 'friends' and mates have to say in their lives.

I will never understand why people put their personal lives online by the way, the 'what's up hun' sh!t does my t!ts in.

But now we have targeted advertising and so many people putting up inane links to threads, fake news, look at my cat it just smiled like a human, my dogs ear looks like Donald Trump, it is just getting more and more banal. And that is our 'friends', mates putting this sh!t up. Oh and not to forget the legendary threads telling people that this name means you are more sexy or the devil. Facebook was good once, but it is just getting worse and worse and worse.

Is the simple answer to take your mates, 'friends' email addresses and just email them? if they don't reply they never were friends anyway, but I think the majority of us on Facebook would know that anyway. Social media? Social sh!t on older people's sanity me thinks.

Please, don't be the one that says 'I don't use facebook' because you shouldn't even be reading this, being cool and trendy is better used elsewhere.

Never had a profile or been on it.
What was wrong with Friends Reunited? That was good
And the kids have got Bebo...

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Personally I find it vital for mind boggling algebraic mind exploding puzzles that are causing 'people to lose their sh1t' and acquaintances dining arrangements with full colour photographs to boot.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If I look at FB for more than 5 minutes in any given day, then something has gone wrong with my day.

I despair of how what I know to be genuinely decently people come across when presented with a keyboard and the Facebook platform.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Facebook is a load of bollox.
Gone have the days when you can just phone up or even talk in the street to ask how people are doing!

larus

I have a profile which I created years ago to keep in contact with some people for social events and stuff like that.

But I’ve never really ‘got it’. I’m comfortable with tech as I an a software developer/business consultant, so work with IT. I just find the whole thing false.

Friending people you’re met once.
Posting memes to make yourself seem interesting or to have a social conscience.
Telling lots of people (many who will be at best acquaintances) either the most inane things about your life, or even worse, some of the most intimate.
A way to make out your life is so good and amazing, where in reality, the majority of people lead pretty average, dull lives week-to-week.

I actually think the way that so manner feel pressurised into living ‘fake’ lives is so sad. More honesty would lead to less pressure on people and make people happier - just my opinion.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Facebook is a load of bollox.
Gone have the days when you can just phone up or even talk in the street to ask how people are doing!

They haven't really. In my avenue of 14 houses, there must be 10 that are non-facebook households, and three without mobile/smart phones. In my office which contains 16 of us, I know that at least 10 colleagues are not on facebook/twitter (but I think I'm the only mobile-less one).

I'm not particularly old (51), but I do find it odd, and a shame, that my mates (if I'm allowed to use that term) kids really don't have the pub culture that we had, it does seem to have been replaced by social media.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
They haven't really. In my avenue of 14 houses, there must be 10 that are non-facebook households, and three without mobile/smart phones. In my office which contains 16 of us, I know that at least 10 colleagues are not on facebook/twitter (but I think I'm the only mobile-less one).

I'm not particularly old (51), but I do find it odd, and a shame, that my mates (if I'm allowed to use that term) kids really don't have the pub culture that we had, it does seem to have been replaced by social media.

I really meant generically.
I agree that it's a culture thing.
Even at my work, which is more of the older persuasion, these guys use Facebook, Twitter & WhatsApp.

Do you remember this :)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I have no problem at all with Facebook ..nice to have the choice

Nor me, and I've been to some great events, met some great new people (reunions) & keep in touch with acquaintances.
There is an occasional 'what's up hun', but generally none of my friends are like that.

Like any tool in life, it's not the tool, but how you use it.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Facebook always was a load of ******** as far as l was concerned, but I suppose it's horses for courses, some people enjoy using it, so each to their own.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here