Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Premier League votes for more live games

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
There will be more games moved as the Premier clubs chairmen have voted for an increase in the number of games to be shown for 19/20 season and the bidding will start soon. There will be apparently more games shown on Saturday evenings and Bank Holidays. This is shown on BBC Sport .

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
"A minimum of 190 Premier League games will be televised live in Britain from start of the 2019-20 season.

Premier League chairmen voted unanimously for the package, with the rights set to go out to auction before Christmas.

A new package of Saturday night games is likely to be offered to broadcasters, along with more midweek and Bank Holiday matches.

There will be a minimum of 22 additional live games on offer."

More >>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42022871

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Amazon/Netflix/Facebook presumably.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I bet the police are going to LOVE having to police a football match AND the normal Saturday night carnage.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Amazon/Netflix/Facebook presumably.

I'm not so sure. They already have a huge subscriber base, so would seem folly to spend so much bidding for the domestic rights as the UK isn't a significant part of their overall base. They could bid for the overseas rights in some countries though.

Could be a surprise bid from BeIn Sport though for some of the domestic packages *TapsNose*

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would think that an 8pm kick off on a Saturday is one of the least attractive for most supporters who travel to our games as it will mean a Saturday night accommodation for many which is usually one of the most expensive in a seaside resort especially for those using public transport. Kick off times or days do not matter to me but they do to many who I know will miss the Stoke game live because of it. Monday night must be the worst kick off time for supporters other than armchair sky watchers.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I wonder if the next step will be to ban away fans, less costs (policing), more money as local fans will be charged more, less aggro in many ways. Just make all the games not on general release available via beamback so local club might then increase revenue even more.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Assuming that the Saturday night 8pm games are more than likely to screen the more attractive teams, it is going to be fun for fans from the North West and London to get home by public transport when away.
As usual the match going fans are the ones that will be most put out by this change.

There is also likely to be an impact on teams with an increase in mid week games, in that don't play at the weekend but play TV game on Wednesday then play on Saturday but opponents have had whole week preparing as they were not involved in midweek TV game

Welcome to the Saturday night away game in Newcastle and Burnley

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Assuming that the Saturday night 8pm games are more than likely to screen the more attractive teams...

Welcome to the Saturday night away game in Newcastle and Burnley

Those two parts of your post don't quite tally, do they?!?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I wonder if the next step will be to ban away fans, less costs (policing), more money as local fans will be charged more, less aggro in many ways. Just make all the games not on general release available via beamback so local club might then increase revenue even more.

I would think those that govern and dictate football matches ie the police would love that.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
About time, the wife was saying just the other week that there's not enough football on tv.

In a perverse way she's right, isn't she?

If this new deal will see 190 live PL games a season, that's still only half of them. Many countries get them all.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I wonder if Bein Sports will try to get it available in the UK as it is in the rest of the world virtually and then offer a year subscription. A pub we visited in Torrevieja showed every Premier game via Bein Sports at a cost of £150 per year to cover all 12 screens that he had,I was told perfectly legally.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
I wonder if Bein Sports will try to get it available in the UK as it is in the rest of the world virtually and then offer a year subscription. A pub we visited in Torrevieja showed every Premier game via Bein Sports at a cost of £150 per year to cover all 12 screens that he had,I was told perfectly legally.
I think someone (yet again!) is taking you for a ride.

Sent from my SM-G9350 using Tapatalk

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Not sure how this is any worse than a 7.45 Tuesday / Wednesday/ Friday kick off, at least the majority won't have to take a day off work or worry about work the following day.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here