Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Should i let my 13 year old son wear his Chelsea kit to the game at the Amex?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
This or not at all.

20171117_184451.jpg

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
Does he not own a Brighton shirt?

If Yes why would he not want to wear it.
If no, does he not want one,. Why would he want to go to a match in another teams shirt?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
This is all a bit silly. Although I don't think allowing him to wear an away shirt is advisable.

I'm not sure kids should be told who to support though.

As regards being in the home end at away games, I'm sure plenty of us have tried to gain tickets through relatives for matches at other grounds. It's no different. Let's not be hypocrites.

It's always a shame when folk choose teams other than their local one though. That's one piece of advice any parent should give. It's how the game survives. It's up to them after that.

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
My son has spent all his life living a good 80 odd miles away from Brighton. Everywhere he turned when he was younger, he found his peer group supporting top 6 sides. An Uncle ( armchair Man Utd fan ) started to work on him and then, to compound the problem, his mother and I split up. At one time I went nearly a year without seeing him or speaking to him.
When I did eventually start seeing him again, I started to talk to him about the history of the game and my history of supporting BHA. I told him how important it was to go to games ( home and away ) and feel the matchday experience. I told him that he would learn more about players away from home. I recounted great times at the Goldstone and away trips with mates. Most importantly, I kept telling him that when you support a team that is not counted as one of the heavyweights, you will have as many ( if not more ) lows than highs but the highs you get will be an experience like no other. You will learn to manage the disappointment of defeat but you will savour each victory like gold-dust.
I told him that people gravitate towards a successful team because they like the idea of winning a lot more than they lose. They are fearful of losing face in front of friends and lack the self-confidence to overcome the mental bullying that can occur. What they never gain is the maturity to cope with spells of constant disappointment. They enjoy winning but it is only a minor elevation from the norm. The pulses don't race that much, as winning is taken for granted.
Thankfully, he took all this on board and even though he is still a relatively long way from Brighton, he comes to as many games as possible and I am proud to say that he is as avid a fan as me. Its not always easy to bring youngsters round to your way of thinking, particularly when outside forces are at work, but don't give up. They are not in the playground, with its inherent peer pressure, forever and you never know, your love and passion for your club, may eventually start getting to them. You have to keep sowing seeds.

Great post. Really sums up what’s like being a Brighton fan living away from Brighton, like I have.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
My son has spent all his life living a good 80 odd miles away from Brighton. Everywhere he turned when he was younger, he found his peer group supporting top 6 sides. An Uncle ( armchair Man Utd fan ) started to work on him and then, to compound the problem, his mother and I split up. At one time I went nearly a year without seeing him or speaking to him.
When I did eventually start seeing him again, I started to talk to him about the history of the game and my history of supporting BHA. I told him how important it was to go to games ( home and away ) and feel the matchday experience. I told him that he would learn more about players away from home. I recounted great times at the Goldstone and away trips with mates. Most importantly, I kept telling him that when you support a team that is not counted as one of the heavyweights, you will have as many ( if not more ) lows than highs but the highs you get will be an experience like no other. You will learn to manage the disappointment of defeat but you will savour each victory like gold-dust.
I told him that people gravitate towards a successful team because they like the idea of winning a lot more than they lose. They are fearful of losing face in front of friends and lack the self-confidence to overcome the mental bullying that can occur. What they never gain is the maturity to cope with spells of constant disappointment. They enjoy winning but it is only a minor elevation from the norm. The pulses don't race that much, as winning is taken for granted.
Thankfully, he took all this on board and even though he is still a relatively long way from Brighton, he comes to as many games as possible and I am proud to say that he is as avid a fan as me. Its not always easy to bring youngsters round to your way of thinking, particularly when outside forces are at work, but don't give up. They are not in the playground, with its inherent peer pressure, forever and you never know, your love and passion for your club, may eventually start getting to them. You have to keep sowing seeds.

This is where I am. My older boy never lived in Brighton but gets the connections and supports the Albion despite huge pressure when younger to support the local clubs, Arsenal or Spurs. The younger one only interested in rugby and into his club which is grea5. No parent should let a teenage boy go in the home end with an away top. I suspect OP is a wind up given their number of posts.

SUA Seagull

Jul 23, 2016
Stratford-upon-Avon
There can occasionally be good reasons why father and son support different teams. As a north Londoner, my dad was lifelong Arsenal and took me to many games in the 60s when I was a kid, although I never felt any affinity towards them. I don’t know why. Maybe it was because my older brother supported Spurs, primarily because we lived nearer there, all of his mates were Spurs’ fans …. and also to annoy my dad!

At the time, I had uncles and aunts living in Hove and when we visited them during the school holidays or at weekends I’d walk to the Goldstone to watch the Albion. I became immediately hooked/obsessed and loved following “my” team and their ups and downs. My London-based mates all thought I was crazy.

When my son (also a Londoner) was born it was pre-ordained that he would be a Seagull. No debate. His first babygrow was in Albion colours, his first kit was Albion (along with all others since) and when he was old enough to understand it all, he too was hooked. Whilst his mates were all supporting Premier League teams we used to travel far and wide to watch the Albion in Leagues 1 and 2 and he always supported them with a passion. Now aged 59 and 29 respectively, we are both STHs and have been for years.

The payback for me came last May when, after the Wigan game, with my son’s phone buzzing with congratulatory messages from his Premier League-team-supporting mates that “Albion had arrived”, he hugged me and thanked me for introducing him to the ways of the Albion and said that he could never, ever have imagined supporting another team. Albion is his passion, as it is mine. It was a very emotional father-son moment. In the fullness of time I hope the cycle repeats itself between my son and his kids.

So, OP, I think maybe you need to have a chat with your lad to try and wean him of Chelsea onto the Albion. It’s never too late and he will thank you in the years to come.

Simontheseagull

Eye from the sky
Jul 11, 2010
The Amex
Encourage your glory hunting son to jump up and down; take his shirt off and twirl it around his head when Chelsea score first.

If he is still alive, then ask him how he is enjoying himself when he is the subject of ridicule after we come back to beat Chelsea 3-1 (like the last time when Chelsea visited The Amex as European Chumpions).

Attachments

• photo (7).JPG
    photo (7).JPG
    784 KB · Views: 131

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
There can occasionally be good reasons why father and son support different teams. As a north Londoner, my dad was lifelong Arsenal and took me to many games in the 60s when I was a kid, although I never felt any affinity towards them. I don’t know why. Maybe it was because my older brother supported Spurs, primarily because we lived nearer there, all of his mates were Spurs’ fans …. and also to annoy my dad!

At the time, I had uncles and aunts living in Hove and when we visited them during the school holidays or at weekends I’d walk to the Goldstone to watch the Albion. I became immediately hooked/obsessed and loved following “my” team and their ups and downs. My London-based mates all thought I was crazy.

When my son (also a Londoner) was born it was pre-ordained that he would be a Seagull. No debate. His first babygrow was in Albion colours, his first kit was Albion (along with all others since) and when he was old enough to understand it all, he too was hooked. Whilst his mates were all supporting Premier League teams we used to travel far and wide to watch the Albion in Leagues 1 and 2 and he always supported them with a passion. Now aged 59 and 29 respectively, we are both STHs and have been for years.

The payback for me came last May when, after the Wigan game, with my son’s phone buzzing with congratulatory messages from his Premier League-team-supporting mates that “Albion had arrived”, he hugged me and thanked me for introducing him to the ways of the Albion and said that he could never, ever have imagined supporting another team. Albion is his passion, as it is mine. It was a very emotional father-son moment. In the fullness of time I hope the cycle repeats itself between my son and his kids.

So, OP, I think maybe you need to have a chat with your lad to try and wean him of Chelsea onto the Albion. It’s never too late and he will thank you in the years to come.

The kid can support whoever they want. That’s about parenting and luck. But to let the kid go in away colours in the home end is not on and may end ugly

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This is all a bit silly. Although I don't think allowing him to wear an away shirt is advisable.

I'm not sure kids should be told who to support though.

As regards being in the home end at away games, I'm sure plenty of us have tried to gain tickets through relatives for matches at other grounds. It's no different. Let's not be hypocrites.

It's always a shame when folk choose teams other than their local one though. That's one piece of advice any parent should give. It's how the game survives. It's up to them after that.

Yes but you don't go poncing around, having it large as a full kit wanker in the other lot's end, no matter how old you are. Its just ****ing rude.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Yes but you don't go poncing around, having it large as a full kit wanker in the other lot's end, no matter how old you are. Its just ****ing rude.

Well, no. I would neither do it nor encourage it.

But I would get tickets for the home end... :lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Easy one this, when he goes to school on Monday, move house and don't tell him where you've moved to.

You don't need him, take a real Albion fan to the game instead.

I find this quite bizarre, you are supposed to be a Brighton fan but want to know if it’s ok to take someone with you into the stands wearing Chelsea colours with a Chelsea Badge with possibly a Chelsea players name on the back?

I’ll ask a question back to you, I’m a Brighton fan and have been for many years but when we play Palace will it be ok if I take a Palace flag and hang it above the entrance/exit to my block in the East Stand so everyone can see it when they go for a piss and/or pint?

MrSnuggles

Apr 29, 2016
I find this quite bizarre, you are supposed to be a Brighton fan but want to know if it’s ok to take someone with you into the stands wearing Chelsea colours with a Chelsea Badge with possibly a Chelsea players name on the back?

I’ll ask a question back to you, I’m a Brighton fan and have been for many years but when we play Palace will it be ok if I take a Palace flag and hang it above the entrance/exit to my block in the East Stand so everyone can see it when they go for a piss and/or pint?

You could put a palace flag in the urinals!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here