Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Should i let my 13 year old son wear his Chelsea kit to the game at the Amex?

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
I don't normally post on anything online. I have read all of the replies, some of them have been funny, some of them have been slating my ability as a parent, but most have said that i shouldn't let him wear his Chelsea shirt to the game. I have no issues with him going in his normal clothes (in fact, he will be), this was just a question that i thought i would just put out there. I am a Brighton fan, and have been for many years, i am not fishing, and hopefully one day i will change my sons mind and he will become one of the faithful Brighton fans like most of us on here are.

Taking your question at face value my response is...no, it is not a good idea even at the age of 13 to wear an opposition shirt in the home end. 13 is not too young to learn about discretion and how to conduct yourself in different social settings.

I don't normally post on anything online. I have read all of the replies, some of them have been funny, some of them have been slating my ability as a parent, but most have said that i shouldn't let him wear his Chelsea shirt to the game. I have no issues with him going in his normal clothes (in fact, he will be), this was just a question that i thought i would just put out there. I am a Brighton fan, and have been for many years, i am not fishing, and hopefully one day i will change my sons mind and he will become one of the faithful Brighton fans like most of us on here are.

You should both be banned! You have a molded a plastic fan:ffsparr: The worst crime known to man:rolleyes:

southstandg

Dec 17, 2010
Sussex by the sea
Does it really matter what item of clothing he is wearing to a game? I mean come on if he is getting behind the Albion and giving us his full support, i'd rather that than someone who sits on their phone all game and makes no attempt to get behind the team!:rolleyes:

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Does it really matter what item of clothing he is wearing to a game? I mean come on if he is getting behind the Albion and giving us his full support, i'd rather that than someone who sits on their phone all game and makes no attempt to get behind the team!:rolleyes:

Errrr...I presume the 13 year old in his Chelsea shirt would be supporting Chelsea?

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
I won't repeat what my 14 year old said when he read this thread. Needless to say I was stuck in two minds of either being the responsible parent and telling him off for using such language or agreeing with him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Personally my 9 year old daughter has become a Liverpool fan, mainly through peer pressure at school. Living in North Somerset it's not easy to get to see Brighton, especially not now we are PL, so she has not been brought up with the Albion apart from thinking that i am slightly bonkers. However her second team is Yeovil, as we watch them often. I'd be more than happy if she drops Liverpool and sticks with Yeovil as her first team as she grows. It's where she is from. I think she'll always look out for Brighton results, but they'll never be her first love.

However i'd definitely not let her wear a Liverpool kit to watch either Brighton or Yeovil!

My son has spent all his life living a good 80 odd miles away from Brighton. Everywhere he turned when he was younger, he found his peer group supporting top 6 sides. An Uncle ( armchair Man Utd fan ) started to work on him and then, to compound the problem, his mother and I split up. At one time I went nearly a year without seeing him or speaking to him.
When I did eventually start seeing him again, I started to talk to him about the history of the game and my history of supporting BHA. I told him how important it was to go to games ( home and away ) and feel the matchday experience. I told him that he would learn more about players away from home. I recounted great times at the Goldstone and away trips with mates. Most importantly, I kept telling him that when you support a team that is not counted as one of the heavyweights, you will have as many ( if not more ) lows than highs but the highs you get will be an experience like no other. You will learn to manage the disappointment of defeat but you will savour each victory like gold-dust.
I told him that people gravitate towards a successful team because they like the idea of winning a lot more than they lose. They are fearful of losing face in front of friends and lack the self-confidence to overcome the mental bullying that can occur. What they never gain is the maturity to cope with spells of constant disappointment. They enjoy winning but it is only a minor elevation from the norm. The pulses don't race that much, as winning is taken for granted.
Thankfully, he took all this on board and even though he is still a relatively long way from Brighton, he comes to as many games as possible and I am proud to say that he is as avid a fan as me. Its not always easy to bring youngsters round to your way of thinking, particularly when outside forces are at work, but don't give up. They are not in the playground, with its inherent peer pressure, forever and you never know, your love and passion for your club, may eventually start getting to them. You have to keep sowing seeds.

Jan 30, 2008
I managed to get me and my 13 year old son tickets to the Chelsea game at the Amex for his birthday, but there is an issue! I am a Brighton fan and have been for many many years, however, my son is a Chelsea fan (has been since about 4 years old, and i have tried to convert him but he's having none of it!). We have both been to the Amex on several occassions, and we both love the atmosphere, facilities etc, but this game is a big one for him. Deep down i think he thinks that Chelsea are gonna smash us all over the park, which i don't think they will, but as support for his team he wants to wear his Chelsea kit (although i would imaging its gonna be Baltic and he will be wearing a coat, scarf etc). We are sitting in with the home fans and i was just wondering what you lovely people of NSC thought about the idea of him sitting amongst us with the wrong kit on and cheering on the wrong team?
you'll have you Chelsea shirt under your jacket wont you :whistle:
regards
DR

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
As a subtle sign of support for Chelsea he could fling himself dramatically to the floor every time someone went past him, in Drogba style. Or shout at any player under the age of 21 to say they'll never make it, perhaps during the halftime warm-up.

....or rapidly gain about 12 stone in weight, so that the shirt always has to be worn loose. Rapidly learn to drive and acquire a 4 x 4 ( as large as possible and never clean ) Rapidly become self-employed, preferably in the building trade, financial world, second hand car trade or property development market. Rapidly buy a four bedroomed detached in Guildford, Woking, Leatherhead or Esher. Rapidly ensure that you always carry plenty of cash for show. Rapidly marry a Lorraine, Dawn or Mandy and rapidly acquire mates called Dave, Kevin, Pete and Billy. Rapidly acquire enough money to make a number of the more glamorous away trips and rapidly and most importantly, make sure you advertise your business at your local club, whilst also ensuring that you do the matchball, once a season at the Bridge.
Finally and rapidly, develop a contented sneer and in response to meeting a non-top six supporter, ensure that they are always greeted with..." Ah, I knew there was one out there somewhere "

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Being that tickets are hard to get hold of, and there are lots of Albion fans who wont be able to get tickets for the game, I don't like the idea of any Chelsea fans sitting in the home end. They should be in the away end, end of story. They definitely shouldn't be wearing a shirt of the oppposition. But if they don't wear a Chelsea shirt, and keep quiet ,then I guess no one will really know. Still don't like it though.

dazzer6666

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Keep plugging away, still a good chance he’ll see the light at that age. My lad did (around the same age). How you realise most of the slating was pisstaking...........

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here