Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Should i let my 13 year old son wear his Chelsea kit to the game at the Amex?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Well, part of the problem is Brighton is not the local team - it's Reading.
Fair enough, I don't have any set-in-stone rules when you don't live here.

I know a Brighton fan whose kids were supporting Fulham (and Brighton) because the Withdean was crap and they were often treated to a box at Fulham. I didn't get it, and they said some BS about letting their kids lead their own lives :rolleyes:

When my littluns arrived I had friends (including the one above) ask 'what if they support another team?'. Excuse me? That was just never going to happen.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
No no no.

Look, I have to be honest and say I can’t believe this thread.

Both my children had to suffer Withdean and I got them through those years and out the other side. How the hell have you lost him to Chelsea? No you can’t let him wear that rag to the AMEX.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No bloody way, and why has he even got a Chelsea shirt...simply don’t buy them for him
The only possible answer, is that he's got a crap dad.

If my kids were given a footy top of another UK club I'd simply say we can't accept it, or sell it.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
The one thing we can all be sure of is that this post is definitely not a Palace troll.

Because their fans would definitely never ever let their children wear opposition shirts at a home game. Or hats, or scarves, cone to think of it. Such loyal, special fans.

09dff873c59eb6a4b27742d715038d05.jpg

The red pepper kid

Dec 30, 2014
Blimey No, with 20,000 extra new fans and the club in a whole new mind set, --------NO

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Sadly we as football fans remain too tribal for such inclusive behaviour. Reality is that you sit in the home end, you cannot wear the shirt of the away team. Amongst the crowd there will be a few idiots who will take exception and hurl abuse the way of you and your son. Football crowds have come a long way in the last 30 years, but not far enough for that to go without incident or comment that in hindsight you'd rather you'd chosen to avoid.

The answer therefore is a resounding .... NO.

N17

Jun 21, 2011
This is one of those situations I struggle to understand. I just don't see how a child grows up supporting a different side to their parents.

As disappointing as it is, I could get that a 13-y-o supports Chelsea and not the Albion. When he was getting into football c2008 we were League One, playing at Withdean against the likes of Crewe, Yeovil and Stockport.

However, when the Dad is an Albion fan, I don't understand how Chelsea entered the equation.

My dad was Woolwich. :mad::eek:

This scenario appears to happen quite a lot at the Taxpayers Stadium with tourists & i know the old school West Ham absolutely hate it. And rightly so.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Most promoted teams get a result against one of the top teams at some point in their season.
Chelsea have shown themselves capable of putting in a terrible performance already this season, being the only team to have lost to Palace.

If it was my kid, I'd be asking if, a few of weeks ago, he would have fancied being in a Man Utd kit surrounded by celebrating Huddersfield fans as the final whistle blew.
He's not my kid though. My kids are Brighton fans. I'm pleased to say they made their choice themselves. Mind you, the choice was support Brighton or sleep in the garden.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I managed to get me and my 13 year old son tickets to the Chelsea game at the Amex for his birthday, but there is an issue! I am a Brighton fan and have been for many many years, however, my son is a Chelsea fan (has been since about 4 years old, and i have tried to convert him but he's having none of it!). We have both been to the Amex on several occassions, and we both love the atmosphere, facilities etc, but this game is a big one for him. Deep down i think he thinks that Chelsea are gonna smash us all over the park, which i don't think they will, but as support for his team he wants to wear his Chelsea kit (although i would imaging its gonna be Baltic and he will be wearing a coat, scarf etc). We are sitting in with the home fans and i was just wondering what you lovely people of NSC thought about the idea of him sitting amongst us with the wrong kit on and cheering on the wrong team?

Put him up for adoption.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
If you are sitting in a home season ticket seat then I think you are reasonably obliged not to support the opposition and therefore not to wear that day's opposition's merchandise irrespective of age. Similarly in a designated home stand (or similar discipline in an designated away area for that matter).No problem with kids learning that the world has rules beyond the home or the classroom.
Some clubs do have neutral zones which I think are a brilliant idea if you're struggling to sell seats and would be just perfect in this case. Can't happen when you are selling out though.

Hazwaz

Jul 23, 2012
Hove
If the response stewards notice said shirt ,they will refuse entry and after your efforts of getting him a ticket will be in vain.Note 100s of away fans have been turned away already,as staff assume tickets are obtained from illegal websites.Hopefully at a few seasons in the prem and he will have Chelsea as his second team

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
I managed to get me and my 13 year old son tickets to the Chelsea game at the Amex for his birthday, but there is an issue! I am a Brighton fan and have been for many many years, however, my son is a Chelsea fan (has been since about 4 years old, and i have tried to convert him but he's having none of it!). We have both been to the Amex on several occassions, and we both love the atmosphere, facilities etc, but this game is a big one for him. Deep down i think he thinks that Chelsea are gonna smash us all over the park, which i don't think they will, but as support for his team he wants to wear his Chelsea kit (although i would imaging its gonna be Baltic and he will be wearing a coat, scarf etc). We are sitting in with the home fans and i was just wondering what you lovely people of NSC thought about the idea of him sitting amongst us with the wrong kit on and cheering on the wrong team?

No, you shouldn't and by 13 he's old enough to know that wearing it would be totally disrepectful.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
If the response stewards notice said shirt ,they will refuse entry and after your efforts of getting him a ticket will be in vain.Note 100s of away fans have been turned away already,as staff assume tickets are obtained from illegal websites.Hopefully at a few seasons in the prem and he will have Chelsea as his second team

This.

One clever person decided they'd bring their son/nephew (not sure which) to the Everton game in WSU - in full
Everton kit. They were told at the search point to either put a top on over the Everton shirt or turn it inside out.
They didn't have another top.

So - be warned. My view: it shows a complete lack of awareness by anyone to try to go in a home end in an
away strip. Sad to say - but it is utterly naive bordering on stupid. I blame the father/uncle
whatever.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here