Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Should i let my 13 year old son wear his Chelsea kit to the game at the Amex?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
When my boy noticed football he asked me who I support. My answer was "Brighton, and so do you". He wasn't given a choice.

As a father, that's how you do it.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
No no no.

Look, I have to be honest and say I can’t believe this thread.

Both my children had to suffer Withdean and I got them through those years and out the other side. How the hell have you lost him to Chelsea? No you can’t let him wear that rag to the AMEX.

Same here and you know what, it wasn't that difficult making sure that my two remained Brighton fans either. I took them to games, told them that they were better fans than all their plastic mates and although it never came up I would have point blank refused to buy them a PL team top or even let them wear it. Another thing I'd add is that there were a fair few of us mums and dads with kids in the Family Stand at Withdean and it was good fun, mostly.

Seriously, any Brighton supporting dad who says they tried but failed to make their child support Brighton didn't try hard enough. It was easy-peasy even when we played at Withdean, I reckon nowadays you don't even need to put much effort in at all seeing as half of Sussex children all seem to be wearing Brighton kits.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I can't understand how anyone can be old enough to be a parent to a 13 year old but still have to ask the question?

It's bad enough you've failed him by allowing him to jump on a top 6 bandwagon, it's even worse that you've allowed him to get to 13 years old and not understand that the answer to the question is always NO.

Both my boys are Albion through and through at the ages of 7 and 4, the job of any Brighton supporting father is to be pushing your children down the Albion supporting road from before they were even born. The only exception to that is if you don't live locally then you graciously allow them to support a local side.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
This is a wind up surely. Still he's 13 not 5 as said. He clearly doesnt understand football. Hes old enough to make his own mind up. Tell him to do what he likes but no matter how good a dad you might be (I have my doubts for getting him a Chelsea top/letting him support them in the first place/starting this thread) you cant defend him against abuse from thousands. Anyway why would you even think about seeing you son potentially getting abuse and what would you do about it?

My youngest could say 'wiggle' (seagull) and 'whoosh' (swoosh) before saying daddy when I pointed to the badge and Nike symbols on my Albion shirt (she was fascinated by the shirt and must have been 7 months old) So you have failed. By the age of 2 here and her 3 year old sister would cry over which on would sing Blue and White and which one would sing Barmy Army. The arguments went something like 'I'll be blue and white you can be barmy barmy' (3yr old) 'No I'm blue and white' tears (2yr old)

Anyway I have digressed. You have failed here in many ways unless you are fishing in which case you have done quite well. Now go back to the BBS and post the same thread telling them your son wants to wear his Albion shirt in the palace end at Selhurst that'll be a good idea wont it? He's 13 by the way just a kid. Look forward to reading it

Jan 26, 2015
Berkshire
This is one of those situations I struggle to understand. I just don't see how a child grows up supporting a different side to their parents.

As disappointing as it is, I could get that a 13-y-o supports Chelsea and not the Albion. When he was getting into football c2008 we were League One, playing at Withdean against the likes of Crewe, Yeovil and Stockport.

However, when the Dad is an Albion fan, I don't understand how Chelsea entered the equation.

Agreed - I set down the rules very early: you support one of the teams playing in the match you first see. So one my kids had the choice of Brighton or Reading and, although we live close to Reading she has sensibly chosen Brighton. Bolton didn't appeal to the other two so I have dedicated Albion fans.

It didn't work with my wife, the first game I took her to see was a 0-0 v Hartlepool at Priestfield. As a result, she hates football.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I managed to get me and my 13 year old son tickets to the Chelsea game at the Amex for his birthday, but there is an issue! I am a Brighton fan and have been for many many years, however, my son is a Chelsea fan (has been since about 4 years old, and i have tried to convert him but he's having none of it!). We have both been to the Amex on several occassions, and we both love the atmosphere, facilities etc, but this game is a big one for him. Deep down i think he thinks that Chelsea are gonna smash us all over the park, which i don't think they will, but as support for his team he wants to wear his Chelsea kit (although i would imaging its gonna be Baltic and he will be wearing a coat, scarf etc). We are sitting in with the home fans and i was just wondering what you lovely people of NSC thought about the idea of him sitting amongst us with the wrong kit on and cheering on the wrong team?

Wow ok.

1) He is 13. My love for football started in the early 90's which, after the playoff defeat, started the spiral downwards. I came out the other side as an albion fan for life. If I managed to do that, surely he can during a period where we have done the impossible, back into top flight with an amazing new stadium. It can't be difficult for him to love the club and county.

2) How has he acquired this Chelsea shirt? If his mum or a relative had bought it for him I'd be having serious words with them and it might just prompt an 'accident' in the wash. I see grown men with top 6 or top 2 la liga shirts on around Sussex and I think what absolute wankers, as I'm sure most other people do. Do you want your son to grow up as a plastic fan? Take him to some more games.

3) How, at 13, does he not understand basic etiquette re. football, or you for that matter? Nevermind the fact that he will get the dog's abuse from some, but even in my case, if they are beating us and I see a kid near me in an opposition shirt it is going to wind me up no end, to the point of not so politely asking him to sit down and remain quiet. It's just not the thing to do.

4) Isn't Fareham pompey territory? As much as it pains me to say, he should be albion or pompey and nothing in between.

FIVESTEPS

Nov 3, 2014
A friend who supported a London club took his son to matches but gave up when his son spent the whole time on his phone following the Albion. Now they are both seagull supporters following them home and away.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I managed to get me and my 13 year old son tickets to the Chelsea game at the Amex for his birthday, but there is an issue! I am a Brighton fan and have been for many many years, however, my son is a Chelsea fan (has been since about 4 years old, and i have tried to convert him but he's having none of it!). We have both been to the Amex on several occassions, and we both love the atmosphere, facilities etc, but this game is a big one for him. Deep down i think he thinks that Chelsea are gonna smash us all over the park, which i don't think they will, but as support for his team he wants to wear his Chelsea kit (although i would imaging its gonna be Baltic and he will be wearing a coat, scarf etc). We are sitting in with the home fans and i was just wondering what you lovely people of NSC thought about the idea of him sitting amongst us with the wrong kit on and cheering on the wrong team?

you absolute bell end......:tosser:

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I can only echo everyone's stunned comments: I have three children, 11, 12 and 14, all Albion fans. There was never any doubt that they wouldn't be, despite them now having lived most of their lives in Kent. I can't even remember one conversation about this - they were primed from the beginning to chuckle condescendingly and take the moral high ground when confronted with "Who? They're rubbish. My team is the best, yours is the worst in the world. Ever" in the playground.

"Have you ever seen your team play? Do you know where Manchester/Liverpool are? Do you have relatives in that area, or do you support this team because you like to associate yourself with success as a result of some kind of psychological delusion?" they would reply. I'd have to bathe their wounds when they got home from school, but I think they learned a valuable lesson about knowing where they were from and supporting their community, the beautiful community, of Brighton and Hove Albion.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I've had a change of heart.

I say, let his wear his kit to the match, but it has to be FULL KIT, boots 'n' all.... John Terry style. All of nothing.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Can't help but feel he'd be safer and happier in prawn sarnie land,or in with the other Chelsea supporters in the West Stand:laugh:

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
:ffsparr: ...that's it, just:ffsparr:

el punal

This is the worst case of bad parenting I've ever heard! To make amends I suggest that you take your boy down to the tattoo shop and have the Seagull crest emblazoned on his forehead. Then, and only then, will you find forgiveness. :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here