Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Should i let my 13 year old son wear his Chelsea kit to the game at the Amex?

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I managed to get me and my 13 year old son tickets to the Chelsea game at the Amex for his birthday, but there is an issue! I am a Brighton fan and have been for many many years, however, my son is a Chelsea fan (has been since about 4 years old, and i have tried to convert him but he's having none of it!). We have both been to the Amex on several occassions, and we both love the atmosphere, facilities etc, but this game is a big one for him. Deep down i think he thinks that Chelsea are gonna smash us all over the park, which i don't think they will, but as support for his team he wants to wear his Chelsea kit (although i would imaging its gonna be Baltic and he will be wearing a coat, scarf etc). We are sitting in with the home fans and i was just wondering what you lovely people of NSC thought about the idea of him sitting amongst us with the wrong kit on and cheering on the wrong team?

I tried to put myself in your shoes and decided that yes it would be alright for him to wear his Chelsea kit during the game. If he has FIFA and an XBox he may even be able to play along at home.

Dr. No

Nov 28, 2016
I managed to get me and my 13 year old son tickets to the Chelsea game at the Amex for his birthday, but there is an issue! I am a Brighton fan and have been for many many years, however, my son is a Chelsea fan (has been since about 4 years old, and i have tried to convert him but he's having none of it!). We have both been to the Amex on several occassions, and we both love the atmosphere, facilities etc, but this game is a big one for him. Deep down i think he thinks that Chelsea are gonna smash us all over the park, which i don't think they will, but as support for his team he wants to wear his Chelsea kit (although i would imaging its gonna be Baltic and he will be wearing a coat, scarf etc). We are sitting in with the home fans and i was just wondering what you lovely people of NSC thought about the idea of him sitting amongst us with the wrong kit on and cheering on the wrong team?

Exactly this.

No.

Edit: it’s time for [MENTION=34942]Dr. No[/MENTION]

No.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
As a subtle sign of support for Chelsea he could fling himself dramatically to the floor every time someone went past him, in Drogba style. Or shout at any player under the age of 21 to say 'you'll never make it son', perhaps during the halftime warm-up.
:lolol:

I've edited it slightly.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Lol, I'd have just told him he wasn't. It's just basic morality. My kids support the local team that I support, that's it, there is no other option.

To be honest with you that's pretty much how the conversation went. The trip to the Amex helped convince him.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
I blame the mother,

How would he feel about you wear a Brighton kit in the Chelsea end? 4 or 5 years old fine no one cares but 13 he should know better.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
This is one of those situations I struggle to understand. I just don't see how a child grows up supporting a different side to their parents.

As disappointing as it is, I could get that a 13-y-o supports Chelsea and not the Albion. When he was getting into football c2008 we were League One, playing at Withdean against the likes of Crewe, Yeovil and Stockport.

However, when the Dad is an Albion fan, I don't understand how Chelsea entered the equation.

Absolutely this.

I’m still proud that my lad’s first fight at school was because he called some Chelsea “supporting” kid a glory hunter. He was still 4 at the time.

Sadly, he’s more into egg chasing now.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
You bought the ticket, it's your rules. Your son goes wearing a Brighton shirt or a non-football shirt. In the unlikely event that Chelsea were to score, he should sit down and keep silent. In the likely event that Brighton were to score, he should be cheering with the rest of us.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I tried to put myself in your shoes and decided that yes it would be alright for him to wear his Chelsea kit during the game. If he has FIFA and an XBox he may even be able to play along at home.
I can't put myself in his position, it's not possible my kids would be allowed to own a Chelsea shirt.

Perhaps it should be a concern the kind of person I am, given the lengths I'd go to to stop my kids supporting another team. Using the OPs example, I'd be crying in front of my 4-year-old asking why they wanted me to be unhappy. Thrashing them (and their team) at football in the garden would also be standard.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
This is probably my biggest fear, first born is due the same day as the Chelsea match, I'd be able to accept almost anything but if he does like football it's got to be the Albion or nothing.

amexee

Jun 19, 2011
haywards heath
Please make sure that he knows all the words and sings loudly along with the rest of the cretins when the inevitable homophobic chants get going!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I am a Brighton fan and have been for many many years, however, my son is a Chelsea fan (has been since about 4 years old, and i have tried to convert him but he's having none of it!).
I'm trying to take a step back here and not be really rude. You've seen the response of everyone here, a cross between assuming this is a wind-up, and shock that you've allowed him to be a Chelsea fan.

Can you explain why you've allowed him to be a Chelsea fan? Is it that you're a liberal who thinks everyone should choose their own path, or are you not that big of a Brighton fan, or what?

Can you imagine a couple of Muslim parents saying that they tried to get their 4-year-old to be a Muslim, but they were having none of it and decided to be a Christian?

murciagull

Nov 27, 2006
Murcia
He supports Chelsea and you still buy him birthday presents!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Personally I'd take a pair of scissors to his kit the night before the game, and put the shredded remains back in his wardrobe ready for him to discover in the morning. That'll learn him.

You shouldn't have bought it for him in the first place.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
I smell troll.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here