Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Does anybody in football dislike Chris Hughton?

I can still remember the lukewarm reaction of some posters to his appointment on here, and some even wanting him binned off after we'd stayed up, as the football in that relegation battle had been so turgid.

Good job Tony knows what he's doing innit.

Wasn't impressed in the slightest when he was signed, even less so after some of the football on show in the early days.

Never did know shit about football mind.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I would say it was the PREVIOUS MANAGER's team that he managed to get over the line to safety

With CH's January buys (Kayal + ?)
I seem to remember my main gripe was he took a failing team with some very bizarre formations, added to it, but didn't actually change a thing.

Then the following season started 4-4-2, and the Albion legend was born.

Still all old news now.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Maik Walpurgis (possibly?)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I’m working in New York at the moment and was chatting to a guy at work yesterday that started the inevitable ‘which soccer team do you follow’ conversation, which is usually very painful here and dries up as soon as you don’t mention Chelsea or Man U. As soon as I mentioned BHA he went into raptures about how he thought CH was a fantastic coach, really nice guy, was badly treated by Ashley and Norwich etc. Nearly fell off my chair !

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Never afraid to be wrong, I'll put my hand up as one.

CH arrived with the 'boring Hughton' baggage from Norwich, and his team crawled over the line, in the process not winning a single game against any of the teams that went on to be relegated.

I'll hazard a guess nobody saw the 'messiah' we have now, he was just another Albion manager, certainly not the Albion's greatest ever manager.

Wasn't impressed in the slightest when he was signed, even less so after some of the football on show in the early days.

Never did know shit about football mind.

Fair play for holding hands up.

And you're right, the football WAS dreadful and we limped over the line, but the only thing that really mattered was staying up. He inherited a dogs dinner of a squad and did not have too long to get us into shape to stave off the drop. It certainly wasn't pretty, but he achieved that No1 objective, and on that basis I always felt he deserved the leeway of building his own squad of players to see if he could improve us from the desolate wreckage of Hyypia's reign.

I had absolutely NO idea he was this bloody good though. I mean bloody hell.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Fair play for holding hands up.

And you're right, the football WAS dreadful and we limped over the line, but the only thing that really mattered was staying up. He inherited a dogs dinner of a squad and did not have too long to get us into shape to stave off the drop. It certainly wasn't pretty, but he achieved that No1 objective, and on that basis I always felt he deserved the leeway of building his own squad of players to see if he could improve us from the desolate wreckage of Hyypia's reign.

I had absolutely NO idea he was this bloody good though. I mean bloody hell.

My opinion of him before we signed him and during the summer after his first season in charge was the first and last time that I've ever been wrong about ANYTHING.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
My opinion of him before we signed him and during the summer after his first season in charge was the first and last time that I've ever been wrong about ANYTHING.

But when you're wrong....you don't do it by halves
:lolol:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
But when you're wrong....you don't do it by halves
:lolol:

If I'm completely honest then there's still something about him that I'm not totally bought into. We're talking 1% though. I think he's just not foreign and sexy enough for me. Or it could just be my deep-rooted arrogance that refuses to let me accept that I was wrong.

theboybilly

I can still remember the lukewarm reaction of some posters to his appointment on here, and some even wanting him binned off after we'd stayed up, as the football in that relegation battle had been so turgid.

I was one of those who were a bit underwhelmed at Chris's appointment. Once here though you could see what he was about. Getting that result at the Den was the result of the second half of that season and kept us up. From then on though I am a firm fan. The way Mr Hughton conducts himself is just the icing on the cake. For what it's worth Eddie Howe was my choice.... I'll go and stand in the corner now :)

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
If I'm completely honest then there's still something about him that I'm not totally bought into. We're talking 1% though. I think he's just not foreign and sexy enough for me. Or it could just be my deep-rooted arrogance that refuses to let me accept that I was wrong.

Probably the persistent Touch Line Shenanigans we have to put up with...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I was one of those who were a bit underwhelmed at Chris's appointment. Once here though you could see what he was about. Getting that result at the Den was the result of the second half of that season and kept us up. From then on though I am a firm fan. The way Mr Hughton conducts himself is just the icing on the cake. For what it's worth Eddie Howe was my choice.... I'll go and stand in the corner now :)

I can't for the life of me remember who I wanted instead of CH, but I do love the progression of the temperament of Albion managers.
Hughton after a couple of tinkering attempts (I have always held Garcia in high regard) does appear to be the perfect man for the job, after Gus and his antics.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

You'll be proved right eventually though. Das fubull.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You'll be proved right eventually though. Das fubull.

I'm not so sure, it's hard to see CH shatting the bed so badly that his Albion halo will slip.

Leaving for palace after engineering our relegation in favour of theirs, while saying he wanted to manager the bigger better run club, might just do it, but as said it would be hard to see that happening.

He certainly seems unlikely to talk about 'ceilings' or his own personal gain.

But hey I was loud wrong at the start of his Albion career, so who knows?

el punal

Probably the same people that wanted Tim Sherwood. It was pretty obvious when Chris took over in January 2015 that his remit would be straightforward - make sure we didn't get relegated, then rebuild the team in the summer. The rest, they say, is history. I must admit I was amazed, when we were up at Newcastle last season, how many Geordie fans absolutely adore Hughton even though he'd left the club some years previously. Their loss, our gain.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
All 12 managers below below Brighton in the PL tables secretly hate him. If one of the 7 managers above Brighton in the PL tables loses to the Albion they will truly hate him. Don't believe anyone that admirer their oppo when they lose to them. In the PL it can bring their sacking.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Probably the same people that wanted Tim Sherwood. It was pretty obvious when Chris took over in January 2015 that his remit would be straightforward - make sure we didn't get relegated, then rebuild the team in the summer. The rest, they say, is history. I must admit I was amazed, when we were up at Newcastle last season, how many Geordie fans absolutely adore Hughton even though he'd left the club some years previously. Their loss, our gain.

Sure as hell not putting my hand up for that.
But seeing his name reminds me wasn't NSC in for a French fella from one of their islands.
I'm pretty sure he had the full weight of Team Stat behind his appointment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here