Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] $400,000,000 for a Painting?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I'm not suggesting this is what's happened here but for many years now dodgy money has been put into arts and antiquities to launder the funds. This would be a very convenient method to launder several hundred million in one go. Have a few plants on the phone and in the room to drive the price up, swoop in with an offer that is highly unlikey to be topped, job done.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I'm not suggesting this is what's happened here but for many years now dodgy money has been put into arts and antiquities to launder the funds. This would be a very convenient method to launder several hundred million in one go. Have a few plants on the phone and in the room to drive the price up, swoop in with an offer that is highly unlikey to be topped, job done.

.......and that is a very good summary of what appeared to happen!! ???

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
The reason things cost a lot of money is so the rich have things to buy, just because some tosser says something costs ****** doesn't mean shit, diamonds for example, just a shiny rock ain't it

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
At this point I believe the correct phrase is:-

'That looks like something my 3 year old brings home from preschool'.

View attachment 91184

He looks half cut. And dosn't a view through an orb invert an image? Schurly the renowned mathematician and polymath, Leonardo, would know that?

Let's face it.....its a bloody fake, innit. :facepalm:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
At this point I believe the correct phrase is:-

'That looks like something my 3 year old brings home from preschool'.

View attachment 91184

You know you want to really....

Botched+Fresco+restoration.jpg

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
FFS. How many years with that keep a hospital or a school going??

Far East needs a lot more schools and Hospitals too. Not paintings of some bloke, half stoned, holding a ball of glass thats apparatly painted by some famous bloke or other - or might not have even been painted by him.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Hard to really price something like that because for the people bidding they will have billions. It is by one of the greatest minds to ever walk the earth, anything created by da Vinci is part of humanity's artistic and scientific heritage. it's just a shame it is not in public ownership on public display.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I've seen the painting in the flesh (so to speak) - at the da Vinci exhibition in London a few years ago. Know very little abouat art, but I thought it stood out from everything else I saw that day. If I'd known how much it was worth, I'd have walked out with it tucked under my arm!

Nigella's Cream Pie

Fingerlickin good
Apr 2, 2009
Up your alley

Far East needs a lot more schools and Hospitals too. Not paintings of some bloke, half stoned, holding a ball of glass thats apparatly painted by some famous bloke or other - or might not have even been painted by him.

Capital Gains Tax paid by the seller will fund them going for a while - unless tax evaded of course

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
But if you splashed out a bit you could have one Neymar hanging in the hall by the key hook and one on the upper landing. (IN DIFFERENT SHIRTS)

I wish people would think a bit.

I could splash out on Neymar if he played for us.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I've seen the painting in the flesh (so to speak) - at the da Vinci exhibition in London a few years ago. Know very little abouat art, but I thought it stood out from everything else I saw that day. If I'd known how much it was worth, I'd have walked out with it tucked under my arm!

Easily done. Just a) take off gallery wall, b) walk out c) go to nearest art dealer and flog :)

scamander

Aug 9, 2011

Thought the buyer has remained anonymous what I've heard (chaps on the radio) suggest it's a Middle East buyer, there's a Louvre in Dubai now so it could end up being located somewhere similar?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here