Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Coach to Man Utd

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
email from Seagulls Travel.
Due to security at Old Trafford we have to get there early.
Leaving Amex at 6:30, that's before sun rise, to go 260 miles, a 4.5 hour trip on a normal day.
Away gates open two hours before KO. Expect a thorough search. I've been searched at every ground, what makes the OT search take so long. I understand security and 70K people need checking but just get twice the security staff. We manage it, Arsenal managed it, West Ham managed it, why cant Manchester?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
But its not a normal day, its a football day.

I would expect a 6 hour journey die to the traffic then when you add on a motorway stop that probably takes you to arriving at Old Trafford around 1.15. This provides some leeway in case of additional traffic issues.

Seems a perfectly sensible time to leave to me.

Just look at the positives, you will be able to sleep for the first part of the journey and miss the M23/25

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I'm guessing that all venues in Manchester (of whatever description) might be the same after the terrible incidents earlier in
the year.

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
The driver also requires a break after so many hours and he will of had pick ups before the Amex but I will admit that when I got the email yesterday my first reaction was “How ‘kin early”. Once I’d thought about it and moaned to the wife it probably is about right. I’d rather be there early than late.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
The driver also requires a break after so many hours and he will of had pick ups before the Amex but I will admit that when I got the email yesterday my first reaction was “How ‘kin early”. Once I’d thought about it and moaned to the wife it probably is about right. I’d rather be there early than late.

I agree.

Also its one of those 'damed if you do, damned if you don't' scenarios. If the coach was late everyone would be livid. Get there early, walk around the ground, get food, a beer etc.. I don't think anyone can really blame them for being extra careful with security can they?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Thankfully it didn't apply to ourselves but the Coach passengers who just arrived for half-time to see a Tues night 0 - 0 in sunny Hull a couple of years back might see the benefits of giving it plenty of time and allowing for delays.

A thorough rummage and rub down at the turnstiles is part of the matchday experience nowadays.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Leaving Amex at 6:30, that's before sun rise, to go 260 miles, a 4.5 hour trip on a normal day.
Away gates open two hours before KO. Expect a thorough search. I've been searched at every ground, what makes the OT search take so long. I understand security and 70K people need checking but just get twice the security staff. We manage it, Arsenal managed it, West Ham managed it, why cant Manchester?

Have you ever driven up the M6 to Manchester on a Saturday?

To be honest I’m surprised the coaches aren’t leaving earlier......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I remember back in the dark ages leaving for a Burnley game very late one night by supporters club coach and arriving at dawn for a 3pm kick off! It was the middle of winter and freezing cold!

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Im sure i saw someone post a tweet on here on a previous thread about people having to remove everything from their bags and throw the bag away before entering. Cant find the post though.

That combined with the coach taking longer than 4.5hrs factoring in service station stops and traffic is probably the reason for the early start.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patreon
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head

If you are on ST6 then it starts at Seaford @ 5.50am and the drivers will have picked up the coach long before that . It's going to be a long day but just relax and enjoy the ride.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Im sure i saw someone post a tweet on here on a previous thread about people having to remove everything from their bags and throw the bag away before entering. Cant find the post though.

That combined with the coach taking longer than 4.5hrs factoring in service station stops and traffic is probably the reason for the early start.

Probably similar to the NFL games at Wembley where everything has to be in a clear plastic bag of certain dimensions if you want to take anything into the stadium

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Last season ST were notorious for their late pickups which meant fans got to grounds much later and sometimes risked missing KO, Norwich for example and the problems for that game, this season they seem to pick up a good half/three quarters of an hour earlier than they would have last season, I know which one I would prefer.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1

Supporters coach leaving at the same time. I don't have an issue with it to be honest, if you get there early then so be it, time for a pub and a beer.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

Time to change your name to "I remember the later times" ? :)

I drive to Manchester quite regularly, I used to live walking distance from OT

I drive quite fast, I can’t remember the last time I did it in 4 and a half hours, if the M25 doesn’t get you the Birmingham bit of the M6 will and you’ll crawl under the “Vote Pies”bridge

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here