Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Historical BHA fact check - 1970s

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
We're doing some filming in Brighton on Friday for another one of these Premier League worldwide media thingies that we never get to see in the UK. They're doing a story on the Brighton / Palace rivalry ahead of the game on the 28th. And we need your help, please.

Legend has it that the 'Seagulls' chant started in the 1970s in the Bosun in West Street (now 'Molly Malone's'?). Is this the case, or was it another drinking establishment? If so, which one - and what's there now?

If the story can't be agreed upon by those old enough to remember, we can always film outside the Seven Stars instead. :bhasign:

Thanks in advance.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
I don't know, since I wasn't born. But the consistent theme that is emerging is that overseas coverage of the Premier League is far superior to the domestic coverage, particularly for teams outside the top 6. Is this for NBC?

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
The lads who gave Seagulls their name

....The Seagulls were christened with liberal swiggings of beer on Christmas eve of 1975. Christmas festivities were in full swing in the Bosun pub in West Street, Brighton. A group of Albion fans were analysing their vocal failings after a visit to Crystal Palace and decided how to put things right. Said Jeff Wells of Bowring Way, Brighton: “At Selhurst Park the Palace supporters started chanting ‘Eagles’ and the volume was so loud that we could not sing anything louder than them.”

The cry Dolphins never roll easily off the frenzied lips of even the most ardent fan – even when your team was getting the better of Crystal Palace. The Albion have always tried to develop the seaside theme and in pre-war days were known as Shrimps. Many would suggest the nickname was rather appropriate: they were rather small fry and inclined to be gobbled up by the Football League’s big fish. Added to that, Gillingham were also known as the Shrimps, which complicated things. The re-named Dolphins was intended to develop the local link as the Brighton town crest has them, but it never had popular appeal.

Jeff Walls had the marine connection in mind at this Christmas booze up, when he queried: “What do you call those birds down the seafront?” His mate Lee Phillips chanted “Seagulls” and then the nickname was out. It soon spread around the pub, a favourite meeting place for fans. By February the terraces were picking it up and by the end of the season it caught on good and proper. The police had given a helping hand, as well. A crackdown on behaviour in the North Stand led to migration to other parts. .....

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I believe some filming has already taken place for this with comedians Stephen Grant and Kevin Day representing the two clubs. Stephen was asking a similar question as the OP on facebook a few weeks ago.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
The Bosun was always the story I’d heard.

I had the impression that the Dolphins nickname first appeared when dolphins were brought into the Aquarium.

But since when were Gillingham ever called the Shrimps?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Just read the little tag to this thread, very fitting :lolol:

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
Wasn’t Derek chapman involved?
The Derby County home matchday programme May 2016 has all the facts about the naming of the Seagulls as well as the promotion pull-out Argus in 1979. Just got home from work so no link.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Just read the little tag to this thread, very fitting :lolol:

Young Jeff Walls doesn't come out of it very well if you ask me. "What do you call those birds down the seafront?", he supposedly asked. Well, Jeff, what the f*ck do you think they are? Penguins? A hen party from Horsham? No, mate, they're f*cking seagulls. I was born in 1969 and I don't think they were ever called anything else.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
Young Jeff Walls doesn't come out of it very well if you ask me. "What do you call those birds down the seafront?", he supposedly asked. Well, Jeff, what the f*ck do you think they are? Penguins? A hen party from Horsham? No, mate, they're f*cking seagulls. I was born in 1969 and I don't think they were ever called anything else.
There was a lot of booze being drunk as it was Christmas. The mind fogs after a few pints.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
We're doing some filming in Brighton on Friday for another one of these Premier League worldwide media thingies that we never get to see in the UK. They're doing a story on the Brighton / Palace rivalry ahead of the game on the 28th. And we need your help, please.

Legend has it that the 'Seagulls' chant started in the 1970s in the Bosun in West Street (now 'Molly Malone's'?). Is this the case, or was it another drinking establishment? If so, which one - and what's there now?

If the story can't be agreed upon by those old enough to remember, we can always film outside the Seven Stars instead. :bhasign:

Thanks in advance.

I saw you on the show last Saturday evening chatting to Ian Wright, some guy called Dave and the blonde chick.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
6ae8ec275c0ee46320f27a2eccc4c7a5.jpg

The Shrimps

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
6ae8ec275c0ee46320f27a2eccc4c7a5.jpg

The Shrimps

Yep. That was what they were when I first went.

What was the game where we were mocked by away lot (Spurs?) chanting 'seaweed'? Late 70s.

Despite the fact there is no such thing as a seagull, I'm content.

C C C Cider!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here