Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Cheap train tickets to West Brom

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
They've already selected the matches to move in January, and this one wasn't chosen. Should be ok I think.

Thecoffeecake

Oct 10, 2017
Philadelphia
So as for travel; you guys can get to pretty much any professional ground in the country via train (assuming most trips connect through London), correct? And how long is the average trip? Can you come and go from most games in one day? How much usually is the price for the train and away tickets?

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
So as for travel; you guys can get to pretty much any professional ground in the country via train (assuming most trips connect through London), correct? And how long is the average trip? Can you come and go from most games in one day? How much usually is the price for the train and away tickets?

Have no idea of the average, but our train tickets to Manchester as an example (me and son) are £92 return, and will just about do it in a day. Tickets were £30 and £10 for junior.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Yeah, every away game is accesible by rail, (almost always changing trains in London), and it's possible in most cases to get there and back the same day, (unless it's an evening kick-off when, unless the game is in London it's almost impossible). The cost of rail tickets varies enormously, the earlier you book the cheaper the ticket.. Match tickets cost a maximum of £30.00 each..

I see from your avatar you are a fan of the New Jersey Devils. I went to see them at the Continental Arena about ten years ago. Loved the experience!

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

If they are 3PM kick-offs, or even 5PM then they are all manageable in a day for those who are capable and unphased by, what can amount to be, 15+ hours to watch 90mins of football. For evening games, travelling by rail anywhere north of London is usually either very difficult or impossible and requires an overnight. For reference, we had a game around this time last year v Birmingham 17:30 kick-off (by all rights a very accessible place to get to via rail) and there were only a couple of trains afterward that would get us back to Brighton that evening, although I would have been quite happy to be stranded in Brum that particular evening.:wink:

Yes, other than Bournemouth and Southampton this season they all connect through London.

Unsure of average round trip this season, but last year it was something in the region of a 400 mile average. I would imagine we are the club whose fans have to travel the most in the PL this season, with only Newcastle as competition.

Average rail cost would be in the region of £30-40 pp with a railcard. Adult football tickets are capped at £30 in the PL.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
So I've done some sums. Virgin is £16 (boy is that cheap). New St to Hawthorns £2.60. Southern from my town to Euston £22
Total around £40 so why do more go by unreliable train than Blues Away coach or even by Car (four up).

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
So I've done some sums. Virgin is £16 (boy is that cheap). New St to Hawthorns £2.60. Southern from my town to Euston £22
Total around £40 so why do more go by unreliable train than Blues Away coach or even by Car (four up).

Birmingham Snow Hill to the Hawthorns is quicker, around 9 minutes

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Have no idea of the average, but our train tickets to Manchester as an example (me and son) are £92 return, and will just about do it in a day. Tickets were £30 and £10 for junior.
Don't miss that last train from Piccadilly, around 5:30ish otherwise stuck in Birmingham over night. At least it was last time I was there.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

kingstn seagull

Sep 4, 2007
YORKSHARE
Don't miss that last train from Piccadilly, around 5:30ish otherwise stuck in Birmingham over night. At least it was last time I was there.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Nah last train you can get is the 19:35 from Piccadilly. Still gives you plenty of time to get across London and get the last train west out of Brighton (23:53)

Thecoffeecake

Oct 10, 2017
Philadelphia
Yeah, every away game is accesible by rail, (almost always changing trains in London), and it's possible in most cases to get there and back the same day, (unless it's an evening kick-off when, unless the game is in London it's almost impossible). The cost of rail tickets varies enormously, the earlier you book the cheaper the ticket.. Match tickets cost a maximum of £30.00 each..

I see from your avatar you are a fan of the New Jersey Devils. I went to see them at the Continental Arena about ten years ago. Loved the experience!

Thanks for all that info, everyone. There are certainly benefits to living in a small country. I can't imagine how easy it is for London fans. For some perspective, coming from the densest part of the US, there are only 5 teams in hockey, for instance, that I can go see and be back that same night from where I currently live in Philly, and that's absolutely the maximum. There are only a few other places in the country that one away team is close enough to get to and from in one day.

Yup, I've been a huge Devils fan my whole life, grew up in Jersey about an hour south of the arenas. If you went about ten years ago, you were there for one of the final seasons at the old Continental Airlines Arena. We played our first game at Prudential Center 10 years ago as of late October. Much different experience, our current home is in downtown Newark, as opposed to the middle of a massive parking lot!

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Thanks for all that info, everyone. There are certainly benefits to living in a small country. I can't imagine how easy it is for London fans. For some perspective, coming from the densest part of the US, there are only 5 teams in hockey, for instance, that I can go see and be back that same night from where I currently live in Philly, and that's absolutely the maximum. There are only a few other places in the country that one away team is close enough to get to and from in one day.

Yup, I've been a huge Devils fan my whole life, grew up in Jersey about an hour south of the arenas. If you went about ten years ago, you were there for one of the final seasons at the old Continental Airlines Arena. We played our first game at Prudential Center 10 years ago as of late October. Much different experience, our current home is in downtown Newark, as opposed to the middle of a massive parking lot!

Where does your Albion affinity come from ?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

Everyone has their own circumstances. I live in London.

Thecoffeecake

Oct 10, 2017
Philadelphia
Where does your Albion affinity come from ?

Nothing more than that I come from a Shore resort area very similar to Brighton. I don't have a club I can identify with here at home (yet; the game at the pro level grows here every year). I've always followed the EPL and the pro game here and abroad (I'm heavily involved with the sport, as I make the bulk of my living coaching goalkeepers), but never really had a club I was able to attach myself to. I've always liked Brighton and ALWAYS used them on Fifa, as I was in love with the crest because it had a seagull on it (going back to the former blue and red crest). With their promotion and my continual longing for a club, I thought that this year was better than any to get myself on board permanently.

I know it probably seems a shallow reason, considering it's a relatively small community club that you guys all grew up living and dying with, but I'm very proud of where I come from, and see the Seagulls as our closest English equivalent. I certainly couldn't just pick one of the big 6 out of thin air and expect I'd be able to develop any kind of real passion for them.

But hell, all of my favorite American sports teams have tons of fans abroad, I think it's ok for me to support one overseas team myself! And get used to it, with every passing successful week in the PL, the Albion will be exposed to more and more international fans, and could become increasingly popular, especially in some countries where the sport is growing.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Nothing more than that I come from a Shore resort area very similar to Brighton. I don't have a club I can identify with here at home (yet; the game at the pro level grows here every year). I've always followed the EPL and the pro game here and abroad (I'm heavily involved with the sport, as I make the bulk of my living coaching goalkeepers), but never really had a club I was able to attach myself to. I've always liked Brighton and ALWAYS used them on Fifa, as I was in love with the crest because it had a seagull on it (going back to the former blue and red crest). With their promotion and my continual longing for a club, I thought that this year was better than any to get myself on board permanently.

I know it probably seems a shallow reason, considering it's a relatively small community club that you guys all grew up living and dying with, but I'm very proud of where I come from, and see the Seagulls as our closest English equivalent. I certainly couldn't just pick one of the big 6 out of thin air and expect I'd be able to develop any kind of real passion for them.

But hell, all of my favorite American sports teams have tons of fans abroad, I think it's ok for me to support one overseas team myself! And get used to it, with every passing successful week in the PL, the Albion will be exposed to more and more international fans, and could become increasingly popular, especially in some countries where the sport is growing.

I tried to follow NFL many years ago. LA Raiders were my team (chosen because I had friends there). The problem was you have franchises and didn't seem to have to local bonding that clubs have here. When they became the Oakland side I seemed to lose interest worrying that roots were being torn up. That said, I still look for their results.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here