Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Moyes wants Dunk

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I cannot see any scenario where we sell in Jan and especially not to a direct rival. I'd want £50m plus to even consider it at this point. End of the season is probably a different matter given the quality of his performances this season. I would expect interest from a number of clubs looking for quality English talent, the price will drop, but even then I think we would get north of £30m if we stay up, less if we don't.

Its what the player is worth to us as much as his market valuation. Dunk and Duffy are the bedrock of our team, tactics and approach and to sell either one mid season would be to massively increase our chances of relegation. If we needed the money then maybe? But from what I can see we don't, we need to stay in the PL more. I cannot see TB sanctioning a sale at this point. The summer is a different matter and I would expect the recruitment team to be actively looking for replacements in the mid to longer term as they will be for all of our players.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Would totally **** his career; West Ham have a knack of making good players shite, as does Moyes. He should definitely wait it out for a top 6 move (or just stay with us forever).

Sums it up for me.

Would love him to stay with us forever but in the real world that isn't going to happen. But I would hope that Dunk could see that moving to a crap club with a crap manager wouldn't be a good idea. Ramos' legs don't have many more miles left in them.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Funny how Arsenal are this mythical 'top 6' side.
There's the very very real possibility that they could be 8th, behind both us and Burnley, after the palace game.
They've played this entire season (and much of last) like one of the better teams from 'our' division, anything but a 'top 6' side.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
A few facts we can establish:

The report is probably speculation based on fitting sizes.

Albion will not let key players go in January.

Dunk has only played a handful of matches upstairs. His true value is not yet known.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
I could see Liverpool coming around for him, their defence is shocking, they didnt get Vigil van Dijk (and dont look like they are going to get him), plus Dunk is 'homegrown' and can either play the ball out calmly or hit 100 yard diagonal passes OR dribble the ball out, I think all of his attributes seem to suit Liverpool's style of play.

For us, the fact Dunk is homegrown and English should inflate his price a fair abit and if he was to get an England call up that should add even more value to him.

For Dunk, as footballer he is bound to have aspirations, why would he not want to earn top money playing for a club with a rich vain of history like Liverpool? He would play alongside elite players (and the club can attract elite players) and would have the chance to test himself against the best teams in Europe and playing for a manager like Klopp at that doesnt hurt. Im sure CH and TB wouldnt want to halt his progression either, so Im sure they would let the lad go...... For a great price..... At the right time.

Last edited:

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I could see Liverpool coming around for him, their defence is shocking, they didnt get Vigil van Dijk (and dont look like they are going to get him), plus Dunk is 'homegrown' and can either play the ball out calmly or hit 100 yard diagonal passes OR dribble the ball out, I think all of his attributes seem to suit Liverpool's style of play.

For us, the fact Dunk is homegrown and English should inflate his price a fair abit and if he was to get an England call up that should add even more value to him.

For Dunk, as footballer he is bound to have aspirations, why would he not want to earn top money playing for a club with a rich vain of history like Liverpool? He would play alongside elite players (and the club can attract elite players) and would have the chance to test himself against the best teams in Europe and playing for a manager like Klopp at that doesnt hurt. Im sure CH and TB wouldnt want to halt his progression either, so Im sure they would let the lad go...... For a great price..... At the right time.

I'm not sure Liverpool would go for him. I think they will go all out for VVD again or another centre back of his price/calibre/reputation who is less of a risk. Lovren looked brilliant for Southampton in the premier league for a short time and has been a disaster for them, I don't think they'll want to potentially make that mistake again.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
As we saw with Stockdale, footballers will go where the money is. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just wearing blue & white striped glasses.

£25 million and £100k a week on a 5 year contract will probably see Dunk in a West Ham shirt. I COULD see WH splashing that sort of cash.

Yes, but look where Stockdale is now.

I don't think Dunk or his agent would consider any club out of the top six, or a top international club, and it is too early for those kind of clubs to commit to a player with only 11 PL games under his belt. I would be surprised if he made a move in Jan, but expect some big club offers at the end of the season.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

To play for wonderful crowds and alongside elite players like Dejan Lovren, who incidentally has received death threats towards him and his family recently? Scousers :rolleyes:

Not saying he wouldn't go to Liverpool, but I think it will be about 60% money and 40% playing consistently in Europe and absolutely nothing to do with who he plays for, with and the history of the club. I have no doubt it would be far more profound for Lewis to captain his home town club than it would to play for another club with a 'rich vain of history' that he has had no hand in.

West Ham ???:laugh::laugh:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Going to West Ham would be a bad career move. The stadium issue doesn't look like changing, they have a seriously poor squad, a lack of decent strikers and are at risk of getting relegated. They got lucky with Dmitri Payet, I really don't see Moyes turning that club around.

Unless someone decent came in for him where he might get a game, i.e. Arsenal then I'd sit tight, play out this season, enhance my credentials and raise my value.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
This is a non-story.

Some journal making stuff up to fill column inches - or web space.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Funny how Arsenal are this mythical 'top 6' side.
There's the very very real possibility that they could be 8th, behind both us and Burnley, after the palace game.
They've played this entire season (and much of last) like one of the better teams from 'our' division, anything but a 'top 6' side.

They've finished in the top 5 places in the PL for every one of the last 22 seasons. Its not really 'mythical', is it? :shrug:

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
It will be interesting seeing where the bidding starts. I thought his ambition is to captain Brighton in the Prem and if we avoid relegation we could afford to keep him, unless there is a £50m offer on the table and Bloom is forced to cash him in.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
They've finished in the top 5 places in the PL for every one of the last 22 seasons. Its not really 'mythical', is it? :shrug:

Yeah I phrased it all wrong, sorry about that.

I should have emphasized the tenses more, as obviously they definitely were, current are (just), but I'm not so sure that they will be soon, a 'top 6' side.

They definitely won't be if Wenger stays, his replacement isn't going to get 'a season' to settle in either.

Last edited:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Because they could offer him £100k a week for 5 years. This stuff really isn't complicated.

But from the Albion's viewpoint, sell him to West Ham in January so he can earn that money. He then stops West Ham leaking goals, meanwhile our defence is weaker and we start losing more games. At the end of the season we finish 18th and West Ham 17th, and we are relegated thereby losing the vast income that the PL provides, all because we sold a key player to a direct rival, and starting a downward spiral.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
There is absolutely nothing to see here, nothing. The Mirror did not write this story, it came from a Portsmouth-based news agency who make their money by sending stories into newspapers on spec and, as someone on the Mirror sports desk has confirmed to me, their quality control is non-existent these days.

Mostly this agency invent stories by putting two and two together to make five, ten, any number you like. That’s clearly what has happened here. West Ham have a poor defence. We have a good one. Therefore they would be interested in buying one of our defenders. And there’s no more to it than that. There are no quotes to back it up. They didn’t speak to Moyes or anyone at West Ham or Dunk or his agent or anyone at the Albion.

This is the same agency who came up with the Solly March to Southampton story. How true did that turn out to be?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
There is absolutely nothing to see here, nothing. The Mirror did not write this story, it came from a Portsmouth-based news agency who make their money by sending stories into newspapers on spec and, as someone on the Mirror sports desk has confirmed to me, their quality control is non-existent these days.

Mostly this agency invent stories by putting two and two together to make five, ten, any number you like. That’s clearly what has happened here. West Ham have a poor defence. We have a good one. Therefore they would be interested in buying one of our defenders. And there’s no more to it than that. There are no quotes to back it up. They didn’t speak to Moyes or anyone at West Ham or Dunk or his agent or anyone at the Albion.

This is the same agency who came up with the Solly March to Southampton story. How true did that turn out to be?

Additionally, the byline is 'A. Crook'.

Appropriate.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here