Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Match day suggestions for fan from States?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Personally I'd get into town about 4pm go for a few beers and food around the station.

Battle of Trafalgar or Prince Albert both decent pubs, should do food and near the station.
Allow plenty of time to get to the ground and of course you can have a beer in the ground anyway

You've pretty much nailed it right there.

Minnesota Fans

Nov 12, 2017
You don't say if you are staying in Brighton or popping down from London just for the game. If London you only need a ticket to Haywards Heath as it is free from there.
Either way, there are many pubs around Brighton train station. If you want a full meal I'd go further in to town mid afternoon. Your target should be a drinking pub by 5:30 for a couple. As it's your first visit you will want to take in the Amex so train to Falmer (free) 6:30
At the Amex there is a chippy and Harveys Beer outlets but be warned, no toilets outside the ground! The shop will be open but has no stock. If you spot a film crew speak loudly, they are always after a story.
Inside, the concourses are large and have food and beer. Take your seat around 7:40 to take in the pre match build up.
Post match you can enter the north stand concourse for a beer (hint, get a beer from your concourse first as queue is long in north) and enjoy the singing. Train back and more pubs.

Thanks everyone for the tips!

My wife and I are coming down from London specifically for the game. We will take in the area a bit during the afternoon though.

I bought tickets on the gatwick express. I am a bit worried about catching a train out. We should be back to the station to catch the last midnight train right??

Bummer to hear about the shop not having stock. I had planned to load up on merchandise while I was there.

Hopefully we'll raise a pint with some of you on Monday!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
As it's the first evening game at the Amex this season, the rail service from Brighton station to the ground is bound to FAIL badly.

Allow plenty of time to get to the stadium - perhaps get there earlier and have a drink at The Swan.

I thought we played Man City in the early evening?

Thecoffeecake

Oct 10, 2017
Philadelphia
Note that this isn't the States and you can't take your beer to your seat.

What. That's insane. Why would you get a beer then? People go out to the concourse during the run of play and sit out there and enjoy a beer?

I don't ever buy beer at any kind of game, and only rarely buy food at all. You're only in your seat a few hours, I can manage to wait that long in between meals and beer for the prices charged. I can have a full meal and two full pints of craft beer for the same price I can get one can of pisswater and french fries inside the stadium.

If there's some kind of special ($1 hot dogs are popular promotions here), that's different. But to pay God knows how much for a beer you can't bring to your seat during the run of play, no thanks.

Also, have fun Minnesota Fans! I'll be drinking alone on Monday afternoon in an empty bar yelling by myself. I'm holding out hope that I can spend a night or two in Brighton around a game when I'm in Europe in September, but it's unlikely. Update us about your experience after the game, I'd love to hear an American perspective of an Albion gameday.

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Surely he should be playing for the Bulls? :lolol:

Bulls...dozier...yup, I think I geddit !

What. That's insane. Why would you get a beer then? People go out to the concourse during the run of play and sit out there and enjoy a beer?

I don't ever buy beer at any kind of game, and only rarely buy food at all. You're only in your seat a few hours, I can manage to wait that long in between meals and beer for the prices charged. I can have a full meal and two full pints of craft beer for the same price I can get one can of pisswater and french fries inside the stadium.

If there's some kind of special ($1 hot dogs are popular promotions here), that's different. But to pay God knows how much for a beer you can't bring to your seat during the run of play, no thanks.

Also, have fun Minnesota Fans! I'll be drinking alone on Monday afternoon in an empty bar yelling by myself. I'm holding out hope that I can spend a night or two in Brighton around a game when I'm in Europe in September, but it's unlikely. Update us about your experience after the game, I'd love to hear an American perspective of an Albion gameday.

We're english football fans. Therefore we simply cannot be trusted to have a beer in our seats and watch the game without turning into drunken psychopaths who start punching children and maiming each other. That's just the way it is.

However, we can turn up early and have some pre-match beerage on the concourse. We can even leave our seats just before half time, chug a pint down and almost be back in time for the start of the second half. And naturally a post-match bevvy is always a welcome way to wind things down after the game.

But actually WATCH a game with our beer ? Madness. Pure madness.

[edit] I second your request for [MENTION=36137]Minnesota Fans[/MENTION] to pop back on here afterwards to relay their experience. Would be very interested to read that :thumbsup:

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Thanks everyone for the tips!

My wife and I are coming down from London specifically for the game. We will take in the area a bit during the afternoon though.

I bought tickets on the gatwick express. I am a bit worried about catching a train out. We should be back to the station to catch the last midnight train right??

Bummer to hear about the shop not having stock. I had planned to load up on merchandise while I was there.

Hopefully we'll raise a pint with some of you on Monday!

What are your first names? I could ask the club to give you a shout out at half-time on the PA?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
What. That's insane. Why would you get a beer then? People go out to the concourse during the run of play and sit out there and enjoy a beer? .

Oh fella, it is totally different, we can't be trusted to take our beers to our seats in case a decision goes against us and we start throwing beer onto the pitch or opposing fans (whichever is closer)
The concourse is full before kick off with people drinking, and at half time some sneak off to beat the ques and snaffle a pint or two in fifteen minute break then rush back to the seat, then some stay behind to let the rush go and have more alcohol..... Do you think we have a problem.

I was blown away when the wife and her family took me to see the Detroit Tigers and people came round actually selling beer to your seat..... It is just not going to happen at "football" though we simply cant be trusted.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Bulls...dozier...yup, I think I geddit !

We're english football fans. Therefore we simply cannot be trusted to have a beer in our seats and watch the game without turning into drunken psychopaths who start punching children and maiming each other. That's just the way it is.

However, we can turn up early and have some pre-match beerage on the concourse. We can even leave our seats just before half time, chug a pint down and almost be back in time for the start of the second half. And naturally a post-match bevvy is always a welcome way to wind things down after the game.

But actually WATCH a game with our beer ? Madness. Pure madness.

[edit] I second your request for [MENTION=36137]Minnesota Fans[/MENTION] to pop back on here afterwards to relay their experience. Would be very interested to read that :thumbsup:

Snap (you can type quicker than me though, guess your only on your fourth pint of the afternoon though.... hick

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Snap (you can type quicker than me though, guess your only on your fourth pint of the afternoon though.... hick

Its one of the most interesting cultural differences with our sports innit.
TBH I'm not bothered about having a beer in my seat at football. The Villa beamback we were allowed, but it becomes a pain in the arse with people constantly going backwards and forwards for their rounds of beer, and then up and down again for the inevitable pissage soon afterwards.

I love the American ballpark experience though. A 3 hour game of baseball, I can wander round the ground to numerous bars, drinking beer and watching the game from one of the bars in the ground, or prop myself up and watch the game from the concourse, or take it back to my seat, whatever I want. No jumped-up herberts in hi-viz telling me I can't do this, I can't do that. You're actually treated like an adult human being. Marvellous.

Thecoffeecake

Oct 10, 2017
Philadelphia
Oh fella, it is totally different, we can't be trusted to take our beers to our seats in case a decision goes against us and we start throwing beer onto the pitch or opposing fans (whichever is closer)
The concourse is full before kick off with people drinking, and at half time some sneak off to beat the ques and snaffle a pint or two in fifteen minute break then rush back to the seat, then some stay behind to let the rush go and have more alcohol..... Do you think we have a problem.

I was blown away when the wife and her family took me to see the Detroit Tigers and people came round actually selling beer to your seat..... It is just not going to happen at "football" though we simply cant be trusted.

Yea, but you get drunk anyway and can throw literally anything. What's the difference if you're doing the actual drinking in your seat?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Its one of the most interesting cultural differences with our sports innit.
TBH I'm not bothered about having a beer in my seat at football. The Villa beamback we were allowed, but it becomes a pain in the arse with people constantly going backwards and forwards for their rounds of beer, and then up and down again for the inevitable pissage soon afterwards.

I love the American ballpark experience though. A 3 hour game of baseball, I can wander round the ground to numerous bars, drinking beer and watching the game from one of the bars in the ground, or prop myself up and watch the game from the concourse, or take it back to my seat, whatever I want. No jumped-up herberts in hi-viz telling me I can't do this, I can't do that. You're actually treated like an adult human being. Marvellous.

Agreed, the only thing I found irritating was the looks of disgust when I refused to get up and place my right hand over my chest at the national anthem and the contrived pumped in music every now and again and the crowd would sing along (maybe that is just Detroit). I am going to see the Red Wings at Christmas so I wonder what that will be like compared to Baseball ?

Thecoffeecake

Oct 10, 2017
Philadelphia

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I would say get to the station by 6.30 at the latest. Although it's only a short ride, evening trains are a nightmare.

Good advice.

That's only if the trains are running properly or else earlier. They haven't been running on time evening this week. Trains have been cancelled.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Make sure you join in when there’s a corner with the chant ‘Eagles’, ‘Eagles’! Louder the better...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here