Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Match day suggestions for fan from States?

Minnesota Fans

Nov 12, 2017
Hello all-
We are coming from the States to catch the match on Monday night. We are very excited! I was hoping someone might be willing to give me some tips of where to eat and catch a pint in Brighton. We'd like to go to wherever the fans go before the match so share a pint with you all. Any tips for what to do during the day or getting to and from the game would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Hello all-
We are coming from the States to catch the match on Monday night. We are very excited! I was hoping someone might be willing to give me some tips of where to eat and catch a pint in Brighton. We'd like to go to wherever the fans go before the match so share a pint with you all. Any tips for what to do during the day or getting to and from the game would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

One suggestion, Never use the phrase "Dontcha know." That happened to me in Chicago and I thought the Minnesotan was speaking a foreign language.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
All the pubs around the station are full of Brighton supporters before kick off. My personal favourite is the Battle of Trafalgar. Good beer and very busy. I don't know if it does food in the evening before games but I think it does? I know it does before Saturday matches. Give yourself plenty of time to get to the ground - have fun!

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Fantastic that your coming, how many of you? Are you “Born in the USA” or ex Pats? If you are planning to start early do a pub crawl round the Laine’s/Lanes area of the city, planning to hit the Central Station area about 4pm where all the pubs will start to fill up. Follow the crowds to the station at around 7 for a free train ride to the stadium. Weather forecast for the area during the day is dry and overcast 54f with evening temps expected to drop to 46f so wrap up.

Fantastic that your coming, how many of you? Are you “Born in the USA” or ex Pats? If you are planning to start early do a pub crawl round the Laine’s/Lanes area of the city, planning to hit the Central Station area about 4pm where all the pubs will start to fill up. Follow the crowds to the station at around 7 for a free train ride to the stadium. Weather forecast for the area during the day is dry and overcast 54f with evening temps expected to drop to 46f so wrap up.

Are you seriously giving people from Minnesota advice on wrapping up ? At those temperatures they will believe it is a balmy English evening !

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I hope for their sake that it is an entertaining win, I know that they are probably in the area and would just like to catch the game, but it would be a shame if it ends up a boring game having come so far.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
As it's the first evening game at the Amex this season, the rail service from Brighton station to the ground is bound to FAIL badly.

Allow plenty of time to get to the stadium - perhaps get there earlier and have a drink at The Swan.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I would say get to the station by 6.30 at the latest. Although it's only a short ride, evening trains are a nightmare.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Phew, I thought this was going to be a thread suggesting some Americanisation of the pre and post match Amex experience :smile:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
As it's the first evening game at the Amex this season, the rail service from Brighton station to the ground is bound to FAIL badly.

Strange I know it was still light when we played Barnet but I thought that was an evening game rather than a Tuesday afternoon one.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

Allow plenty of time to get to the stadium - perhaps get there earlier and have a drink at The Swan.

Think that The Swan will ideal: http://www.swanfalmer.co.uk Maybe have a beer near Brighton station then go up to The Swan.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Strange I know it was still light when we played Barnet but I thought that was an evening game rather than a Tuesday afternoon one.
OK, true.

But that was a 'no travel included' game, so just a normal timetable and no attempt at an enhanced train service.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Phew, I thought this was going to be a thread suggesting some Americanisation of the pre and post match Amex experience :smile:

Like this?

IMG_0131.JPG

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
One minor tip, we don't whoop at every opportunity. If a run of play is exciting, a hearty "Hurrah" will see you right. Unless the opposition is Palace when a hearty "F..k off you PIKEY SCUM" is more appropriate.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
You don't say if you are staying in Brighton or popping down from London just for the game. If London you only need a ticket to Haywards Heath as it is free from there.
Either way, there are many pubs around Brighton train station. If you want a full meal I'd go further in to town mid afternoon. Your target should be a drinking pub by 5:30 for a couple. As it's your first visit you will want to take in the Amex so train to Falmer (free) 6:30
At the Amex there is a chippy and Harveys Beer outlets but be warned, no toilets outside the ground! The shop will be open but has no stock. If you spot a film crew speak loudly, they are always after a story.
Inside, the concourses are large and have food and beer. Take your seat around 7:40 to take in the pre match build up.
Post match you can enter the north stand concourse for a beer (hint, get a beer from your concourse first as queue is long in north) and enjoy the singing. Train back and more pubs.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Personally I'd get into town about 4pm go for a few beers and food around the station.

Battle of Trafalgar or Prince Albert both decent pubs, should do food and near the station.
Allow plenty of time to get to the ground and of course you can have a beer in the ground anyway

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Inside, the concourses are large and have food and beer. Take your seat around 7:40 to take in the pre match build up.
Post match you can enter the north stand concourse for a beer (hint, get a beer from your concourse first as queue is long in north) and enjoy the singing. Train back and more pubs.

Note that this isn't the States and you can't take your beer to your seat.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Hello all-

As many have said, the Battle of Trafalgar or the Prince Albert by the railway station.

Then again, you might want to head to the stadium and go into Dick's Bar, but you'll need to be there an hour before kick off at least to guarantee getting in.

During the day, get yourself into the North Laine area for a saunter through there. Grab a pint in the Basketmakers and leave some graffiti in the grouting there. Don't go anywhere near Western Road and don't just come out of the station and head down to the sea - you'll be well disappointed. Instead, as you come out of the station, take the first left and head down the hill.

Have a look at the Royal Pavilion, but there's no need to go in if pushed for time. Take a walk on the Palace Pier - hideous, but part of the old Brighton experience.

Hopefully it'll be a sunny crisp cold day for you, and not raining.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I love Minnesotians, my favourite state. 'Minnesota Nice' is not a myth. They are the most friendly and hospitable folk you could ever wish to meet. Enjoy your trip [MENTION=36137]Minnesota Fans[/MENTION], great to see that the legend of the Albion is spreading stateside. I'm also a big Twins fan, with a huge MAN CRUSH on Brian Dozier.

There, I said it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here