Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Match day suggestions for fan from States?

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Soccer is, indeed, a word that originated in the UK and was pretty widely used after the Second World War - an Albion director (Alec Whitcher) wrote a number of books in the mid-to-late forties and two of them included the word in the title:-

View attachment 91198

View attachment 91199

And from 1949:

View attachment 91200

And from 1960:

View attachment 91201

And from 1981:

View attachment 91202

It makes perfect sense that Americans call the game soccer, as they already had a game called football. I think these days some Brits reject the term BECAUSE it is seen as an "Americanism".

This has just turned my world upside down, I always tell folks here that it isn't soccer, it's football and that soccer is an Americanism.
Seems that is all wrong now and here comes the humble pie.

tubby

Aug 15, 2008
I hope you enjoy the experience but it will be very different to watching soccer in USA. I have been to the NSC at Blaine on many occasions and have watched the Thunder several times and the atmosphere will be as different as chalk and cheese. As everyone has said enjoy the experience and welcome to the BHA family.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
not really ,just sums up my thoughts on the subject, I'd be more upset if a tourist was sitting next to me if I had a ticket for the Amex , COMMUNITY STADIUM AND ALL THAT???
regards
DR

I'm sure the feeling would be quite mutual.

Minnesota Fans

Nov 12, 2017
We have made it to Brighton. We are going to walk around in the mist for a few hours.

The new St Paul soccer stadium is about 2 miles from our house. Which in US urban sprawl is amazingly close by.

Us Bank is crazy. I saw the first game there with was with Chelsea. NFL football is much better to watch on tv so we don't go to games love

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
We have made it to Brighton. We are going to walk around in the mist for a few hours.

The new St Paul soccer stadium is about 2 miles from our house. Which in US urban sprawl is amazingly close by.

Us Bank is crazy. I saw the first game there with was with Chelsea. NFL football is much better to watch on tv so we don't go to games love

Enjoy the city :thumbsup:

Shame the weather is shite, as with all seaside towns Brighton is much better in the summer.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach

If you're sitting in the East Stand Lower tonight, look out for my wife.....30+ years supporting the Vikings and will no doubt be wearing her Vikes woolly hat!

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011

Please, please don't call us "love".

Minnesota Fans

Nov 12, 2017
Please, please don't call us "love".

Lol it was supposed to say "live". Sorry hard to type on the phone.

We are in W1B in the front row. I know it's not the best seat to see the play but I thought it would be fun to be close.

Minnesota Fans

Nov 12, 2017
not really ,just sums up my thoughts on the subject, I'd be more upset if a tourist was sitting next to me if I had a ticket for the Amex , COMMUNITY STADIUM AND ALL THAT???
regards
DR

I appreciate your feelings. If I got shut out of Vikings - Packers for someone who didn't care, that would bug me. But these tickets went to every fan membership first before finally going to general sale. I'm not taking a seat someone from the area wanted. They had every chance to buy them. At least your team got my money and the local businesses got some extra cash. Everyone wins.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I appreciate your feelings. If I got shut out of Vikings - Packers for someone who didn't care, that would bug me. But these tickets went to every fan membership first before finally going to general sale. I'm not taking a seat someone from the area wanted. They had every chance to buy them. At least your team got my money and the local businesses got some extra cash. Everyone wins.

There’ll be a few of us in the Prince Albert shortly - pop down and I’ll buy you a pint.

It’s under, sort of, Brighton Station.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

You can ignore that poster, he never goes to games anyway.

Hope we can give you a win to enjoy tonight!

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

If you appreciate his feelings you'd be the only one :)

I hope you have a great experience today/tonight ... you'll find everyone you speak to at the pubs around the station (or at the Swan at Falmer - recommended, but aim to be there no later than 6.15) very welcoming and will happily allow you to indulge on all things BHA.

Stoke might not give you the best introduction to football here but hopefully we will show our class and serve up a treat. Sat where you are you'll hopefully get a great view of some explosive wing play

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton

Boom! Point well made.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here