Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Match day suggestions for fan from States?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Its one of the most interesting cultural differences with our sports innit.
TBH I'm not bothered about having a beer in my seat at football. The Villa beamback we were allowed, but it becomes a pain in the arse with people constantly going backwards and forwards for their rounds of beer, and then up and down again for the inevitable pissage soon afterwards.

I love the American ballpark experience though. A 3 hour game of baseball, I can wander round the ground to numerous bars, drinking beer and watching the game from one of the bars in the ground, or prop myself up and watch the game from the concourse, or take it back to my seat, whatever I want. No jumped-up herberts in hi-viz telling me I can't do this, I can't do that. You're actually treated like an adult human being. Marvellous.

Agreed.

And my highlight to date was watching from a tiki bar inside the stadium when we went to see minor league St Lucie Mets (a feeder team for the NY Mets) this past Summer.

Yes, I sat at a tiki bar in a stadium drinking beer and watching live baseball. It surely gets no better...

Screen Shot 2017-11-15 at 16.44.04.png

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Agreed.

And my highlight to date was watching from a tiki bar inside the stadium when we went to see minor league St Lucie Mets (a feeder team for the NY Mets) this past Summer.

Yes, I sat at a tiki bar in a stadium drinking beer and watching live baseball. It surely gets no better...

View attachment 91167

That is superb. But surely gets no better ?

chasepool2.jpg

Well.....This is pretty good :smile:

Thecoffeecake

Oct 10, 2017
Philadelphia
Yes, just no alcohol. Although my dad likes to sneak a little nip of brandy in his coffee flask.

Well so again, what is the difference between having a beer at your seat or getting drunk in the concourse? You no doubt have projectiles if you choose to throw things.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Well so again, what is the difference between having a beer at your seat or getting drunk in the concourse? You no doubt have projectiles if you choose to throw things.

Because or wonderful politicians and law makers seem to think it does make a difference. Double standard ******s the lot of them. And
guess where you can find a number of 24 hour bars? Yes - in the Houses of Parliament! Because our little lovvies are up late debating.

Thecoffeecake

Oct 10, 2017
Philadelphia
Agreed, the only thing I found irritating was the looks of disgust when I refused to get up and place my right hand over my chest at the national anthem and the contrived pumped in music every now and again and the crowd would sing along (maybe that is just Detroit). I am going to see the Red Wings at Christmas so I wonder what that will be like compared to Baseball ?

Night and day. Baseball is a totally different kind of environment, because it's a slow, long game. Hockey is fast-paced, exciting, and cultish here in the states. The Red Wings have one of the biggest fan bases in hockey, and hockey is big up that way as a native sport. The hockey environments I'm generally in are loud and hostile (by our standards), but i come from a part of the country renown for our hostility. I've never been to Michigan, but it's supppsed to be a much friendlier place than what I'm used to. They also moved into a new stadium, and the atmosphere seems to be a bit dulled these days.

I love both sports, by the way. Taking in a baseball game on a warm summer evening is hard to beat, as is listening to a game on the radio cruising around the beach. Hockey has always been my favorite spectator sport as long as I can remember, though.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

There's absolutely no logic to it. Its an outdated law that harks back to the 70's and 80's when hooliganism was rife. Its just never been repealed. How about this - you're not even allowed to have a drink while watching the game from the hospitality lounges. Yup. You're not allowed to stand behind a window or glass door with a beer in your hand watching the game. They actually draw blinds over the windows while the game is on. Basically, you are not permitted to drink alcohol whilst in sight of the pitch anywhere in the stadium while the game is on (which is also why all the exits have steps up into the stands, so you can't see the pitch from the concourses with a beer).

The ludicrous nature of it all reached its zenith when the Amex was one of the venues for the Rugby World Cup a couple of years ago. One weekend we hosted USA v Samoa and South Africa v Japan playing at our stadium. Both were 30k full houses, and rugby fans were allowed to have beer in their seats while they watched the game.

The very next week, Brighton were at home to Wolves. The beer-in-the-seat ban naturally came straight back in - because we were watching a game that has a differently shaped ball.

England eh.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
There's absolutely no logic to it. Its an outdated law that harks back to the 70's and 80's when hooliganism was rife. Its just never been repealed. How about this - you're not even allowed to have a drink while watching the game from the hospitality lounges. Yup. You're not allowed to stand behind a window or glass door with a beer in your hand watching the game. They actually draw blinds over the windows while the game is on. Basically, you are not permitted to drink alcohol whilst in sight of the pitch anywhere in the stadium while the game is on (which is also why all the exits have steps up into the stands, so you can't see the pitch from the concourses with a beer).

The ludicrous nature of it all reached its zenith when the Amex was one of the venues for the Rugby World Cup a couple of years ago. One weekend we hosted USA v Samoa and South Africa v Japan playing at our stadium. Both were 30k full houses, and rugby fans were allowed to have beer in their seats while they watched the game.

The very next week, Brighton were at home to Wolves. The beer-in-the-seat ban naturally came straight back in - because we were watching a game that has a differently shaped ball.

England eh.

Spot on Easy. Meanwhile, our politicians fiddle their expenses, jump on numerous gravy trains and pass laws which only serve their interest (HS2) and can drink 24/7 should they want to.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Spot on Easy. Meanwhile, our politicians fiddle their expenses, jump on numerous gravy trains and pass laws which only serve their interest (HS2) and can drink 24/7 should they want to.

Politicians generally regard football fans as filth, that's never changed.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Politicians generally regard football fans as filth, that's never changed.

Despite all claiming an allegiance to a random team they have obviously never watched live to ingratiate themselves at an opportune moment. Wonder if Call Me Dave has been to Villa Park recently ?

Minnesota Fans

Nov 12, 2017
Agreed, the only thing I found irritating was the looks of disgust when I refused to get up and place my right hand over my chest at the national anthem and the contrived pumped in music every now and again and the crowd would sing along (maybe that is just Detroit). I am going to see the Red Wings at Christmas so I wonder what that will be like compared to Baseball ?

Personally I only go to baseball as a social activity to hang out with mates and have a few beers. Hockey is our favorite sport. It is definitely faster paced and a much more fun atmosphere. Red Wings are Eastern conference team. They are having some problems with attendance at the new arena, so you won't have many problems with people. Hockey has a lot more music if there are a lot of stops in play. The music and in-game entertainment is definitely different than football where the game doesn't stop.

I would offer that you could stand for the anthem. Americans stand for O'Canada when the Canadians teams are here. It is considered a matter of respect. Especially right now with the NFL stuff, I wouldn't want to be the guy not standing.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
There is no way I would want beer anywhere near the north stand. When a goal is scored it is mayhem and there is 100% chance you would get wet and sticky..

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
There is no way I would want beer anywhere near the north stand. When a goal is scored it is mayhem and there is 100% chance you would get wet and sticky..

I was going to say the same. As much as I agree the no drinking law is antiquated and unnecessary, there would be "beer showers" often if people could drink during games, and that would provoke some disorder as the soakees look for the soakers.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Wonder how the Amex compares to the 1billion dollar U.S Bank Stadium? Think the Vikings will go all the way?

Plenty London based Albion fans who will be traveling down and (hopefully) back on the trains, should be able to leave on time, walk down to the station and be back in London by midnight. Match day ticket includes travel from Haywards Heath, so buy your return to this station and save a couple quid going into the hands of Southern.

Where are your seats?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Despite all claiming an allegiance to a random team they have obviously never watched live to ingratiate themselves at an opportune moment. Wonder if Call Me Dave has been to Villa Park recently ?

That's a bit unfair, there are several politicians who are hardcore supporters of football. The fact that a couple, like CMD, pretended to follow a team doesn't mean that they'll like it. I'd say 90% of politicians who support a club, genuinely do support a club,

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I would offer that you could stand for the anthem. Americans stand for O'Canada when the Canadians teams are here. It is considered a matter of respect. Especially right now with the NFL stuff, I wouldn't want to be the guy not standing.

I was thinking I should stand for the anthem this time, The last time I went over it was a remembrance day of some kind, we went done to a cemetery down near Grosse Isle, Michigan and it was actually very moving they had vets from the USA, Canada and even flew the Union Jack RAF flags, I think during the war the RAF trained over the lakes or something and several planes went down.

Anyway I will stand next time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here