Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England v Brazil

Hendrax

Jan 23, 2013
Worthing
Germany had a weakened team and it was a game that nothing happened and Brazil have been crap for years.No goals and sadly like most internationals it's another bore fest.

I'd ban international football for 10 years or so as it needs a break and needs to go back to basics before it can improve.

Do one.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
same England who have taken the ranked 1st and 2nd teams in the world to draws? with kids and Prem reserves?

These are 'friendlies'. Nothing more. Have England got a lot of injuries at present or is this it ? I don't know. But we seem to have starting elevens that have players with only a handful of top league appearances. That's a really bad sign.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I think Hoddle has a better idea than anyone as to what is a quality long ball :smile:
Yes, better than some, no doubt - but anyone? No - he was never as good a manager as he was a footballer. Maybe he's too high-brow then, football wise, to watch lowly Brighton much. He might see one or two more good long passes if he did. The pass he went into ecstasy about was a good one - I never said it wasn't - (even though the passer didn't spot that he was passing to an off-side player!) but it was no better than the ones that Dunk does regularly these days ('Dunk's average efforts').

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
irrelevant. because the game is a friendly you think the players intentionally play any worse? utter nonsense.

This was Brazil Vs England. Brazil had full strength and also subbed to win.

erm, there's no competetive edge

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
irrelevant. because the game is a friendly you think the players intentionally play any worse? utter nonsense.

This was Brazil Vs England. Brazil had full strength and also subbed to win.

They don't play 'worse' but the motivation is not as it would be in a competitive match. It never has been. That's why UEFA are doing away with them.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
These are 'friendlies'. Nothing more. Have England got a lot of injuries at present or is this it ? I don't know. But we seem to have starting elevens that have players with only a handful of top league appearances. That's a really bad sign.

Personally I have been waiting for years for England to play the young form players instead of the old guard. I think it's a really good sign, I could get behind an England team for the first time in ages. Dump the old guard and go with the youngsters. Remains to be seen if Southgate is brave enough to continue with his refreshing choices when the World Cup comes around.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yes, better than some, no doubt - but anyone? No - he was never as good a manager as he was a footballer. Maybe he's too high-brow then, football wise, to watch lowly Brighton much. He might see one or two more good long passes if he did. The pass he went into ecstasy about was a good one - I never said it wasn't - (even though the passer didn't spot that he was passing to an off-side player!) but it was no better than the ones that Dunk does regularly these days ('Dunk's average efforts').

I think Hoddle was the best English passer of the ball that I have ever seen, hence my comment.

Hendrax

Jan 23, 2013
Worthing
They don't play 'worse' but the motivation is not as it would be in a competitive match. It never has been. That's why UEFA are doing away with them.

Bollocks. You are just spouting the majority view on friendly's. When have you ever played a colleague, mate or foe at any sport and not tried to win because its not for a belt, cup, title? They all want to win.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Bollocks. You are just spouting the majority view on friendly's. When have you ever played a colleague, mate or foe at any sport and not tried to win because its not for a belt, cup, title? They all want to win.

adrenalin ???

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Germany want to win, but they they're clearly not bothered with friendlies (or even some qualifying games to be honest). They've lost or drawn plenty of recent friendlies to England, but beaten them when they've needed to. And they lost to Argentina a few months after beating them in the final in Brazil. This should tell you something. Same with Spain, no point blowing all your guns at once when there's no need.....treating games with the appropriate caution is how you last and win tournaments.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Tend to agree but in my opinion the prem is a really boring division with little entertainment and to be frank I'm just glad mr bloom can get something financial benefits at long last.

Well I'm cuffing LOVING it. Every game has been an adventure, and to see us holding our own and more in the top flight is a joy to behold. I've seen every PL game bar Southampton so far, and its EPIC.

Sorry if you're finding it boring, but bloody hell. It beats Rotherham on a Tuesday night.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Tend to agree but in my opinion the prem is a really boring division with little entertainment and to be frank I'm just glad mr bloom can get something financial benefits at long last.

If you're in Swindon, why not try Reading - just a few exits along the M4 and lovely old Championship football........

.......... and leave the rest of us to enjoy it - watching some of the best footballers in the world.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
If Neymeyer plays like that all the time he wouldn't get a game for Albion against Stoke next Monday.

I got bored with the game but I could see why Dunk may have been overlooked for the left sided Centre Back position. Harry McGuire is very good player. Excellent player in fact

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Make it happen Gareth!

................................. Pickford ..............................

............... Stones ...... Dier ....... Dunk .................

Walker ....................................................... Rose

.................... Alli ......... Loftus Cheek .................

Sterling ............................................... Rashford

................................ Kane .................................

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Brazilian does a cross field pass - 40 yards - and the ITV summariser (Glenn Twaddle) has instant multiple orgasm. Just looked a bit like one of Dunk's average efforts to me...........

Mind you he (Hoddle) could play a bit - but he knew it. I remember reading Tony Cascarino's account of GH as manager of Chelsea when basically he'd use the training sessions to show off what he could still do. This might explain why he wasn't as good at managing as he was at playing. However, as a pundit he does tend to appreciate quality.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The one thing about England these days is I feel there is less pressure on them, public expectations are pretty low. Out in the first game of the knock at phase is what most expect at best. So play the young guns and let them learn.

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
Regardless of whether they want to win or not, a friendly is simply not a good measure of how a team will perform in a major international tournament.

Right now the players are in the first half of the season, they're warmed up and at their best level of performance. Come the summer, the players will have just finished a gruelling season, they'll be tired, some will have been injured, and now they have to spend another month in a foreign country, with the press hounding them daily and constant public scrutiny following every match. I'm sure that they want to win, no team enters a tournament with the intent of just bowing out of it, but 'willing' something to happen is not going to work.

We can't forget that England beat Germany in a friendly before Euro 2016, a tournament that has gone down as the one of the worst English performances of all time. This friendly means nothing, and it's pointless getting our hopes up over it.

On the plus side, all this success with under 17s and 21s should be a good sign that things are changing. Wait another four or eight years and we might fare a bit better on an international level.

kjgood

Yes, two nil - nil draws against the top two rated sides in the world but a big step forward from the horrible boring negative stuff we have been playing for years. We kept our shape and defended really well against the really strong attacking side Brazil OK not a lot going forward i will agree, but this was the best two English displays for many a year.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here