Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Robbie Savage is right about kids football

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jun 27, 2012
606 on 5 Live devoted their Saturday show to a phone in about grassroots football and the millions of volunteers that keep kids football going.
There were some great points and calls about referreeing, parents, funding, facilities and the FA.
Robbie , who might not necessarily be everyone's favourite on here , showed considerably more enthusiasm than in his (brief) days at the Withdean as the host and he's now surprisingly the manager of his son's u12s team.
He talked a lot of sense about equal game time, the importance of volunteers and how he'd like to give parents on the sidelines red cards and how its the best thing he's ever done.

I know there's a bunch of football coaches, and volunteers on here. Its a good listen. here in full via
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09czrfj

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
Jun 27, 2012
And as a PS to the above the FA are trialling these new rules in Manchester for kids football. Some sensible stuff here.

fa rules.jpg

macky

Dec 28, 2004
There's so much wrong with kids football And no one seems to be interested in putting it right
Must be very hard for the people giving there time to it Without any real help from the FA

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
And as a PS to the above the FA are trialling these new rules in Manchester for kids football. Some sensible stuff here.

View attachment 91138

There's so much wrong with kids football And no one seems to be interested in putting it right
Must be very hard for the people giving there time to it Without any real help from the FA

I'm sure there are many excellent people within the FA who ARE passionate about putting things right. Jem's post above yours is one very clear example of exactly that.

On the subject of that set of rules - they are mostly good, and a few excellent ideas - not in agreement with the one that bans the coach from issuing instructions though. I understand the theory, but completely disagree that it would work.

macky

Dec 28, 2004
I'm sure there are many excellent people within the FA who ARE passionate about putting things right. Jem's post above yours is one very clear example of exactly that.

On the subject of that set of rules - they are mostly good, and a few excellent ideas - not in agreement with the one that bans the coach from issuing instructions though. I understand the theory, but completely disagree that it would work.
Fully agree With you on being some trying to sort it out But the FA have taken money from my son for the past 7 or 8 years And I'm not sure what he has got for it ? It has certainly not been value for money imho

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Fully agree With you on being some trying to sort it out But the FA have taken money from my son for the past 7 or 8 years And I'm not sure what he has got for it ? It has certainly not been value for money imho

In what manner have the FA been paid any money for your son to play football!? Genuine question.

macky

Dec 28, 2004
He pays a yearly fee to play like every player Then there's his fines of course

macky

Dec 28, 2004
Look at what's happening in Iceland That's the way our youth football should be going We are miles behind other countries

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Certainly not a fan of the silent sidelines rule, nothing wrong with shouting encouragement imo. My son played rugby rather than football as a nipper, maybe it's different in football.

It smacks of not trusting parents/relatives to stay in control so spoiling the enjoyment of spectators and players alike. Polite clapping really isn't what football and rugger are about imo.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I pay £150 for the season for my youngest, for his Youth football. He's U17 now, but price has been the same for each year.

That money goes to his club, and covers:

20 or so matches - the ref needs paying (£20ish) and the pitch needs paying for (£35ish)
30 or so evening 90 minute training sessions on 3G pitches, which need paying for.
15 or so additional training in public park
Full 'home' kit for matches.
Full 'away' kit for Training / kit clashes
Insurance
Club costs of admin / coaching courses / safeguarding courses
The club also uses some club funds to pay the £85 fee if any of the kids want to take the basic refereeing course, as a way of giving something back to the local leagues.
End of season trophies.

So far as I'm aware, apart from the cost of some of the courses club officials go on, nothing at all goes to the FA :shrug:

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
If only those 12 rules had been shown to the utter disgrace that was the supposed little league hosted near me when my son was 5/6. I witnessed a coach call one of his team, who can only have been 6, a "****ing ****" for missing a tackle, and another coach offering to punch the volunteer ref for getting a thrown in decision wrong. it took me all of half a season to remove my son from playing there. My next door neighbour, who coached the team, still won't speak to me, because in his opinion "that's what the kids have to learn to be competitive". Not in my world.

My son is now playing rugby and having the time of his life.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
So far as I'm aware, apart from the cost of some of the courses club officials go on, nothing at all goes to the FA :shrug:

My youngest is in a team and I understood a part of the yearly fees goes towards FA registration administration costs. The FA sorts out a league and fixtures etc so assume the money goes towards paying for that.

macky

Dec 28, 2004
I cant find the Sussex FA cost at the moment but I was told a few years back it was 30 -35 a season
here's what it cost's in Norfolk

The way in which player registrations will be invoiced has been changed for the 2017/18 season. As from this season, registrations will be invoiced once annually in November. The fees will be based on the following formats:
Adult 11v11 - £25
Youth 11v11 - £20
9v9 - £18
7v7 - £14
5v5 - £10

Read more at http://www.norfolkfa.com/clubs and leagues/player registrations#l8HB3cEMsfzmmF9Q.99

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Think also councils all over the country trying to cut as many costs impacts the facilities kids use; as the matches are held in local parks. Cuts in grounds staff and maintenance to park buildings have quite an effect.

macky

Dec 28, 2004
Think also councils all over the country trying to cut as many costs impacts the facilities kids use; as the matches are held in local parks. Cuts in grounds staff and maintenance to park buildings have quite an effect.
And yet these parks aren't free to play The team has to pay the council It's a disgrace

Brovion

Jul 6, 2003
Those rules in post #2 are good and would be a major step forward - if implemented. I'd like to add one more: No team under the age of 16 is allowed to have a 'proper' strip (i.e matching shorts, shirts and socks). Bibs are sufficient to differentiate the teams. Football at that age shouldn't be about 'mini-me' aping of the adult game.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I cant find the Sussex FA cost at the moment but I was told a few years back it was 30 -35 a season
here's what it cost's in Norfolk

The way in which player registrations will be invoiced has been changed for the 2017/18 season. As from this season, registrations will be invoiced once annually in November. The fees will be based on the following formats:
Adult 11v11 - £25
Youth 11v11 - £20
9v9 - £18
7v7 - £14
5v5 - £10

Read more at http://www.norfolkfa.com/clubs and leagues/player registrations#l8HB3cEMsfzmmF9Q.99

Fair enough. £10 - £20 a year then.

That's nothing frankly. Despite the bulk of the league admin / referee appointments / etc being done by well-meaning volunteers, the local FA still needs some funds to function. I don't have an issue with that at all.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

View attachment 91138

That's caused quite a bit of debate on our coaches and managers' chat at our club, by no means all of it positive. Do you know what age that goes up to? Is it under 16s or just the non table/results broadcast ages I.e. Up to and including under 11s?

I think there's a thought that much of it is sensible for minis but it's unworkable for teenagers. I'd probably agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Those rules in post #2 are good and would be a major step forward - if implemented. I'd like to add one more: No team under the age of 16 is allowed to have a 'proper' strip (i.e matching shorts, shirts and socks). Bibs are sufficient to differentiate the teams. Football at that age shouldn't be about 'mini-me' aping of the adult game.

Can't see any merit in that suggestion tbh, bar saving a few quid.

Why shouldn't the kids have a club kit, to help them identify as a team / club?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
That's caused quite a bit of debate on our coaches and managers' chat at our club, by no means all of it positive. Do you know what age that goes up to? Is it under 16s or just the non table/results broadcast ages I.e. Up to and including under 11s?

I think there's a thought that much of it is sensible for minis but it's unworkable for teenagers. I'd probably agree.

I took it to only be designed for the 5v5 to 9v9 age groups (see the blue card / sin bin rule, which supports that)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here