Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789
    Sick Note

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bold Seagull View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you're an FA Licensed coach, have you gone through all the session plans on the Licensed Coach website? There isn't an extensive list, but there are a few there to develop and work at and they are listed through age groups. Anyone in your club who has done the FA Level 2, or the Youth Modules (as they previously were) should also have some good ideas to show you from their manuals. I often find trawling through YouTube has some good ideas too. U9s to U10s is quite a big transition, going from little kids running around 6, 7, 8 years old, to starting to get to grips with the game, 7v7. The jump to U11s and 9v9 with offsides and no retreating to halfway then seems a giant step.
    I am a licenced coach and have tried to look on the website but find it quite difficult to find anything - I have done one of the youth modules and have quite a few ideas from the folder I got with that - which is what I have been using, but am running out of ideas now.

I hadn’t thought of YouTube though, which is obvious! So will have a trawl through that and see what I can find... thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Maskell... off the post <Insert 10 years of my life lost here> -
    REEEEEEEEIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNN NNEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLTTTT!!!

• North Stand Chat

advertising

The voice of reason. hans kraay fan club's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Reinelt12 View Post
      I am a licenced coach and have tried to look on the website but find it quite difficult to find anything - I have done one of the youth modules and have quite a few ideas from the folder I got with that - which is what I have been using, but am running out of ideas now.

I hadn’t thought of YouTube though, which is obvious! So will have a trawl through that and see what I can find... thanks!
      Youtube will sort you out. Tonnes of stuff to look through.

Here's one simple idea for you though, which I've used many times and find is pretty beneficial: do the absolute opposite of playing two-touch games in training. Letting the kids have a maximum of two touches SEEMS like an obviously good idea, right? It makes them pass and move, after all?

Actually what it does as well, is it offers those that are not confident on the ball an excuse to get rid of it like a hot potato. Try sometimes playing small sided games where they HAVE to take a MINIMUM of three touches before passing it on. They then have to take a good first touch, and have to think about using their body to protect the ball before moving it on. Give it a try - results are interesting.
      The above post is simply my opinion. I am not bullying you, should it differ from your own.
      Sick Note

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by hans kraay fan club View Post

Here's one simple idea for you though, which I've used many times and find is pretty beneficial: do the absolute opposite of playing two-touch games in training. Letting the kids have a maximum of two touches SEEMS like an obviously good idea, right? It makes them pass and move, after all?

Actually what it does as well, is it offers those that are not confident on the ball an excuse to get rid of it like a hot potato. Try sometimes playing small sided games where they HAVE to take a MINIMUM of three touches before passing it on. They then have to take a good first touch, and have to think about using their body to protect the ball before moving it on. Give it a try - results are interesting.
      I like that idea - I have players very comfortable on the ball which would like it, and others not so which it will challenge... maybe I do a mixture of both, for those more comfortable they can only have 3, those uncomfortable minimum of 3 - that will challenge both types (or it will over complicate it and be a disaster - worth a try though!)

Maskell... off the post <Insert 10 years of my life lost here> -
      REEEEEEEEIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNN NNEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLTTTT!!!

1 Not allowed!

I like that idea - will try it our next session. Cheers

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by McTavish View Post
      My favourite is when you a coach in full team tracksuit (with his initials on the front) screams "SHAPE!!!" at a bunch of 7 year olds.

I have a photo in my head of this type, seen and heard this many, many times.

1 Not allowed!

The key head on nail phrase is “small sided games”. Keep everything small, do as many Rondos based activities as possible, and for under 10s, keep everything as basic as you can unless they’re an exceptionally talented group.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      My kind of kids football coach Ah the good old days
      Fear holds you down Hope sets you free!
      The most curious thing.. Cheshire Cat's Avatar
      11 miles from Deva Stadium, 14 miles from Prenton Park, 20 miles from Racecourse Ground, 256 miles from Falmer - work it out yourself...

0 Not allowed!
      "But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked. "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by drew View Post
      Well it's not for the girls team there that I manage. Every squad member that turns up at a game gets at least to play one half, normally making subs have way through the game. We aim to win but aren't going to lose any sleep if we don't. We'll also match up with the other team, ie if they turn up with only 8 players then we'll only play with 8 even though it's 9 a side. That said I think generally the atmosphere and approach in the girls game is completely different to the boys game where it is over competitive.
      I am talking 24 years ago and I am sure that the culture would have changed with new personnel involved and the FA changes to junior football. It was back in the day of 22 little kids charging around a full sized pitch where the kids were lucky to get the ball into the 18 yard box, let alone anywhere near the goal!

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Reinelt12 View Post
      I coach an U9 team and the league already enforce the retreat rule, powerplay and pass back - and our club ethos is about equal playing time, play all positions, mixed teams. My priority at this age group is developing the individuals, not winning - but of course the parents want to see their kids win! (Which we do mostly in the top division - I’m lucky I have a brilliant set of players frankly who can mostly play anywhere on the pitch)

I don’t shout too many instructions, mainly just praise and “unlucky” (which got me in trouble with an opposition coach when one of my players was unlucky to give away a foul!)

The matches are played on a neutral 3G pitch and the parents are not allowed on the sideline - they are caged away at the back - makes my life a bit easier although I still hear a few shouting instructions from where they are - “don’t listen to him, do xxx” etc

I love it, the kids seem to love it and that’s all that matters - they are 8 and 9 - it just needs to be fun, and if they can develop at the same time, then fantastic.

The hardest part for me is coming up with training sessions - I try to make them all match based (FA coach drummed that into me) - but it now feels like I’m copping out and just letting them play! If anyone has any ideas or knows anywhere to look for session plans for this age group - that would be great!

Good stuff!

Have a look here for some ideas. Always used to be loads of session plans there when I was coaching.

http://www.footy4kids.co.uk
      They hang the man and flog the woman
      Who steals the goose from off the common
      Yet let the greater villain loose
      That steals the common from the goose