Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BNthree View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My youngest is in a team and I understood a part of the yearly fees goes towards FA registration administration costs. The FA sorts out a league and fixtures etc so assume the money goes towards paying for that.
    A club has to pay a registration fee to the FA for each team. This is pretty minimal and includes a contributuon to the admin required within the FA (in our case the Sussex County FA) that does have a few full time staff. Most County admin is done by volunteers who, as seems to be the case are mostly retired people with time on their hands. Yes it needs younger people, but who's going to volunteer when they've got their own kids football to use up their spare time?
    The FA do, however, make money out of courses they run for managers, officials, coaches, parents and players (some of these are compulsory like safeguarding and level 1 coaching, first aid etc).
    I think the biggest issue for the FA is that if they keep requiring those involved to have every qualification under the sun, then people won't volunteer due to time, expense and the responsibility. We then get left in the long term with paid administrators, coaches and managers - which will make the whole thing unaffordable and the loss of football for those kids other than who excel or can afford it"

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by dejavuatbtn View Post
      A club has to pay a registration fee to the FA for each team. This is pretty minimal and includes a contributuon to the admin required within the FA (in our case the Sussex County FA) that does have a few full time staff. Most County admin is done by volunteers who, as seems to be the case are mostly retired people with time on their hands. Yes it needs younger people, but who's going to volunteer when they've got their own kids football to use up their spare time?
      The FA do, however, make money out of courses they run for managers, officials, coaches, parents and players (some of these are compulsory like safeguarding and level 1 coaching, first aid etc).
      I think the biggest issue for the FA is that if they keep requiring those involved to have every qualification under the sun, then people won't volunteer due to time, expense and the responsibility. We then get left in the long term with paid administrators, coaches and managers - which will make the whole thing unaffordable and the loss of football for those kids other than who excel or can afford it"
      I think the fa could help by reducing the cost of their training For people involved in kids football The cost of getting a and b badges is stupidly high In Iceland kids coaches have to have these qualification And all coaching is free
      Fear holds you down Hope sets you free!

3 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by macky View Post
      I think the fa could help by reducing the cost of their training For people involved in kids football The cost of getting a and b badges is stupidly high In Iceland kids coaches have to have these qualification And all coaching is free
      Or more radically the FA could put a levy of 5% on their premier league TV deal. And divert that to the grassroots .
      Would pay for quite a few coaching courses and bibs.

0 Not allowed!
      I totally agree but don't think the FA will ever be able to receive sufficient funding from its sources (Premier League, Sponsors etc) to be able to afford it.
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Pudos View Post
      After a couple of years at local youth football my nephews all switched to Rugby. I watch them regularly (even tho i still never really understand the rules) - for their development physical, confidence, behavior, respect, Rugby has done so much. Way above anything football ever did, to them or any of the youth teams I was involved in - in any way. Without wishing to sound about 90 I believe much of this comes from the idiot and disrespectful behavior of many modern footballers.
      Nothing is perfect but at Rugby I don't see parents slating the referee, verbally abusing the ref, shouting angrily at their own children for failing, arguing with other teams parents, slating the team manager for his tactics (even tho this is the person who gives his own time up - and a fair bit of it), standing too close to the line so as linesman you were forever having to move them back despite marked standing areas, slating every ref/lino decision. Of course the real expert Dads/Mums were the ones who would never run the line or help in any way!
      Rugby is a game where parents seem to mix better and frequently after a game finishes teams sit for a meal. For child development it does far more away from the pitch as well.
      Both my kids play rugby (I didn't really want them to play football after seeing the behaviour of some of the parents at games in Wild Park) and in nearly six of watching, I've never seen a parent abuse a ref or an opposing player. Parents will applaud good play by both sides without being told to do so.

As a coach, I don't shout instructions from the sidelines and we will shut up any parents who do so (our head coach shut one up a couple of weeks ago). The RFU don't want coaches giving instructions, the emphasis is on the kids working out for themselves. At half time, we say little and leave it the girls (I coach a girls team) to work out what's going wrong.

And the meal afterwards is important: it's mandatory for the home team to supply a hot meal (as in cricket's requirement to supply a tea) and the two sides sit down together and nominate a players of the match - each team nominates one of the opposition's. There's a great atmosphere and the teams get on well - even if they'd been bashing lumps out of each other minutes earlier.

It's an absolute pleasure to watch and coach the girls (as it is to watch my son's team too). Football has itself to blame for its problems with behaviour - it's drummed into kids from when they're six to always respect the ref and never argue. When they start with that mindset and carry on with it, the good behaviour comes naturally.
      Brevis esse laboro, obscurus fio

0 Not allowed!
      I have heard of pitches where flints poke through the ground Every matchday pitches have to be checked for dogs droppings grass not cut for weeks Big pivots in the pitch which could cause serious injury A friend of mine nearly lost a leg through dog shit As the council charge a fee surely they have a duty to make the pitches a little be
      tter than they are
      You really think the council should be doing pre kick off pitch inspections for dog shit! It isn't hard for a few parents to march up and down the pitch before a game and collect any dogshit they find. Same for the so called flints! I check the pitch before our games and any rubbish sticks are removed and any holes filled. Perhaps what you ask would be possible but expect a rise in your council tax bill.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by drew View Post
      You really think the council should be doing pre kick off pitch inspections for dog shit! It isn't hard for a few parents to march up and down the pitch before a game and collect any dogshit they find. Same for the so called flints! I check the pitch before our games and any rubbish sticks are removed and any holes filled. Perhaps what you ask would be possible but expect a rise in your council tax bill.
      What I was trying to say was they charge for shit they should at least make a little effort From what I see they don't really give flying xxxx about the state of the pitches
      Fear holds you down Hope sets you free!
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by drew View Post
      You really think the council should be doing pre kick off pitch inspections for dog shit! It isn't hard for a few parents to march up and down the pitch before a game and collect any dogshit they find.
      I bring a pocketful of poo bags before every game for that precise reason.
      Brevis esse laboro, obscurus fio

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by sussex_guy2k2 View Post
      I get the principle of what you’re saying, but the reality really is a damning indictment of parents who often live vicariously through their children and, from my experience, treat referees appallingly which sets an awful example.

We want kids to enjoy the game and the standard of coaching has improved dramatically from when I was a nipper (I’m 32 now), but parents are often a big blockade to real footballing decelopement and enjoyment for a lot of children. And the worst thing is, from my experience, that they’ll usually admit as much to their coach (but be far too scared to tell their parents). Parents should be thinking “what actions on my part will lead to the most enjoyment and progress for my child”, not “I’m a spectator here, I can do what I like”, which is how your post comes across.
      Spot on. This mirrors my own experience. Too many "win at all costs" coaches. Too many parents coaching from the touch lines ( giving different instructions to the coach). Too many aggressive parents, overly critical of referees and coaches, putting too much pressure on their kids and never willing to help the volunteers that keep their kids' football club going and wondering why there's a shortage of referees!

1 Not allowed!
      I'd just ban parents! Drop the kids off and let the volunteer coaches and kids get on with it. I have witnessed so much bad or embarrassing parental behaviour in the ten years I've been watching my boys play. Funnily enough, from my experience, parental behaviour seemed to improve as my eldest got older.