Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Mark McGhee

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Barnet didn't look too shabby at the Amex this season (yup, I attended and didn't "harvest"). Going by that I think he'll have enough there to work with, and will have the experience and knowhow to steer them away from danger. I hope so anyway. That's quite a coup for Barnet to appoint a manager of his stature.

A coup indeed. On the other hand, fail at Barnet . . .

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Wish he'd been at the Amex when we played Barnet earlier in the season. He would have got a fantastic reception. Other than Micky Adams first time around I don't think there was a better manager at Withdean. Gus knew he had the new stadium coming and some of Tony Bloom's money but he did a good job with good tools.

Love Mad Dog McGhee but his last season was one of the worst managerial displays any club has ever witnessed. Four wins at home and threw the towel in before a lot of games (Scummers away and Stoke at home spring to noggin). Put his pride before the club. Should have left at least six months earlier

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I find it odd that there is a lot of time for Mark McGhee on here yet bugger all for Poyet.

McGhee had us playing the dullest brand of football I think I've ever seen in the 30 years I've been following this club.

Poyet on the other hand had us playing the most exciting brand of football in that same 30 period. Granted it ended on a sour note but who didn't see that coming?

I have nothing against McGhee, said brand of dull football provided a great day out in Cardiff and he appears to be a very nice chap who has a lot of time for this football club. So I wish him well.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Ernest posted some of his best stuff on here about "McGoo", wish MM well though.:)

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I find it odd that there is a lot of time for Mark McGhee on here yet bugger all for Poyet.

McGhee had us playing the dullest brand of football I think I've ever seen in the 30 years I've been following this club.

Poyet on the other hand had us playing the most exciting brand of football in that same 30 period.

Your having a laugh right?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
IMHO the results achieved by MM were better than the football played. and without a doubt the best football played was by the Poyet team closely followed by MA first time in the pre Amex days...

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

Poyet on the other hand had us playing the most exciting brand of football in that same 30 period. Granted it ended on a sour note but who didn't see that coming?

I have nothing against McGhee, said brand of dull football provided a great day out in Cardiff and he appears to be a very nice chap who has a lot of time for this football club. So I wish him well.

I still love Poyet too!

I think part of the reason for the affection to McGhee was that we all appreciated what a difficult time it was to manage the club with the stadium uncertainty and lack of budget. Poyet had it a lot better and really threw away a great position. Also, speaking from experience there did seem to be a real connection between the fans, players and management then with some real characters in the side and on the bench.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Where does this come from as I have never heard him called that before as the only Mad Dog was Allen of Ex West Ham. Barnet etc fame.

Barnet will have employed two mad dog managers then, as Martin Allen was there a while ago too. I would have thought that McGhee is the complete antithesis of Allen managerially speaking, and not a 'mad dog' at all.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Wish he'd been at the Amex when we played Barnet earlier in the season. He would have got a fantastic reception.

He was at The Amex for I think it was Everton (or otherwise Southampton). WSU with what looked like his son.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Funnily enough I listened to the Roar podcast yesterday of the first half of his night with Booker and thoroughly enjoyed it. He is obviously a great character and a very funny man.

He is. His delivery is dour, but his wit and timing are excellent.

It was fascinating to hear about all the famous names he's worked under and what he'd taken from them.

Quite a roster...

Alex Ferguson
Ernst Happel
Gunther Netzer

... among others.

https://audioboom.com/stats/episodes/6457645

Part 2 up soon.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004

Probably as McGhee very much overachieved here. Very little budget. How he kept us in the championship with that side i’ll Never know. Poyet had a huge budget and a brand new stadium to move into. It’s easier to build a nice team when you’ve got money to throw at it.

Last edited:

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
He is. His delivery is dour, but his wit and timing are excellent.

Quite a roster...

Alex Ferguson
Ernst Happel
Gunther Netzer

... among others.

https://audioboom.com/stats/episodes/6457645

Part 2 up soon.

Absolutely, a good contrast from Booker's more 'in your face' humour! I thought they made a very good double act and you can see how they would have worked well together.

Looking forward to part 2.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here