Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Mark McGhee

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
McGhee keeping us up in the Championship in 2004-05 with the squad and resources he had, would arguably be a bigger achievement than if Hughton keeps our side in the Premier League at the end of this season. We were really punching above our weight as a club when McGhee was manager.

I think Darren Currie was worth the admission money alone. Unbelievable skill. He had to beat his marker on the wing three or four times because he didn't have the pace but what an exciting player and he could take some fantastic corners. Very nice guy too. Those first two seasons under McGhee were brilliant. The weather seemed incredibly warm for some of those bigger matches. Beating QPR 2-1 on a Monday night in August 2003, well it was still sweltering after a week of the hottest day ever recorded.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Mr McGhee was an excellent manager. Hope he can resuscitate his new team. Good luck to him.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
There was no comparison between the players available to MM and those available to GP. That does sometimes make a difference.............

I fully understand that but was making a comparison between the performances of both sides. A manager can only do his best with the players and resources he has available but that shouldnt detract from their performances.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think Darren Currie was worth the admission money alone. Unbelievable skill. He had to beat his marker on the wing three or four times because he didn't have the pace but what an exciting player and he could take some fantastic corners. Very nice guy too. Those first two seasons under McGhee were brilliant. The weather seemed incredibly warm for some of those bigger matches. Beating QPR 2-1 on a Monday night in August 2003, well it was still sweltering after a week of the hottest day ever recorded.

That QPR game was still under Coppell. McGhee didn't arrive until October 2003, when Coppell had gone to Reading.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Not a good start for Mark McGhee at Barnet.

It's bad enough having to visit Port Vale (Burslem) in November without losing. Other results went against them including rock bottom Cheaterfield getting three points. Seems like McGhee employed strange tactics this afternoon (an 8-0-2 system) but were beaten by a late penalty in a 1-0 defeat.

He'll turn it round. I firmly believe that.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not a good start for Mark McGhee at Barnet.

He'll turn it round. I firmly believe that.

He might need to throw some players off the team coach now and then though :wink:

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
He might need to throw some players off the team coach now and then though :wink:

Was that McCammon? I remember him scoring against Millwall but did sod all else. No wonder McGhee got rid of him. Chucking him on to the M6 was a bit harsh though.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Was that McCammon? I remember him scoring against Millwall but did sod all else. No wonder McGhee got rid of him. Chucking him on to the M6 was a bit harsh though.

It was. I believe, at Burnley?

patcham seagulls

Jul 9, 2003
patcham
Mark McGhee may have his critics, but for me the play off final in 2004 brings back fantastic memories.

My son was 9, and having only been interested in football for 2/3 years, was convinced I was delusional when I recalled him tales of bhafc in premiership (or div 1, back in the 70-80's)

Seeing his stunned face as he walked towards the stadium, and looked back from the turnstiles, to see 1,000's of blue and white striped fans was priceless. And vindicated much of what I had told him over the build up, and why Falmer (still in the throes of a complicated planning process) was so needed.

Up to that point he'd been to the Withdean 4/5 times, and the contrast between 6,000-7,000 rightfully disgruntled and soaked fans and the celebration of fans in a sunny Cardiff was astonishing.

Once in the stadium the colour, the noise and no doubt the win sowed a seed. (I'm certain the crowd in the div 1 final that year exceeded the champions league final the same month).
When we returned a triumphant and very excited 9 year old, who's previous football passion was all centred around Liverpool and Micheal Owen proudly exclaimed 'WE WON!'

Part of me was proud, part of me though cheeky sod!
Up to that point it was a proper effort to get him along to the Withdean, and usually cost a fortune in bribes and sweets.

However bhafc bit him that day, and as the years have passed the progress has just kept coming;
Amex built
Further play offs and promotions gained
And here we are domestically back at the top table, probably beyond all our expectations

Of course he's grown up now.
He's almost 22 now, studying and living at Manchester Uni and proud to wear his home blue/white colours in a football mad city 200+ miles away.
Weird to think how these things start?
Was it Leon's pen, Mooney's pen or Virg's header?

Whatever, what an introduction to proper football!!

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
McGee was a good man and a is a decent manager. However as he showed with his comments about Graeme Smith and his signing and standing by 'Calamity' Wayne Henderson, he ruined it by not knowing a decent keeper from his own butt cheeks!

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Sadly it looks like Mark McGhee is on the verge of the sack at Barnet. Results haven't been good, his man-management has let him down allegedly and the tactics have been bizarre.

Hopefully he'll get time to turn it round but with Barnet in the relegation zone, rumours are circulating that Gary Waddock from Aldershot might be brought in to try and save them on their forum.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here