Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Albums of the year 2017

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Decent list. National, QOTSA and criminally overlooked Geotic the best albums of the year for me.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ridiculous answer. Doubly so seeing as you started this thread and presumably spent some time looking at the list.

Just taking their top 20 albums from the list there are 13 solo artists named. 6 women and 7 men. Of the 6 women, 2 are non-white and of the 7 men, 3 are non-white. The top 3 albums have women at numbers 1 and 3.

The top 20 has Thundercat, Kelela and Sampha representing funk, R&B and soul. There's a distinct lack of heavy metal and reggae as well as grime in that top 100 but it's probably because it reflects the tastes of the record shop and the people who shop there and nothing more. To accuse Rough Trade of sexism and/or racism is just plain insulting.

FFS. I didn't make any accusation of the sort. [MENTION=14921]spring hall convert[/MENTION] suggested something and I, I thought very very clearly, suggested HE might have answered HIS own question. You have a distinct habit of stirring up shit with me; and in your haste you seem to leave your senses behind.

And just to put this in context has anyone ever known me to criticize a band, gig , shop or anything to do with music? No, because I don't. If anything I tell folk it's a waste of time to do so.

I leave you be.

Last edited:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
FFS. I didn't make any accusation of the sort. [MENTION=14921]spring hall convert[/MENTION] suggested something and I, I thought very very clearly, suggested HE might have answered HIS own question. You have a distinct habit of stirring up shit with me; and in your haste you seem to leave your senses behind.

And just to put this in context has anyone ever known me to criticize a band, gig , shop or anything to do with music? No, because I don't. If anything I tell folk it's a waste of time to do so.

I leave you be.

Apologies. I skim read the reply and misconstrued it. I wasn't deliberately trying to shit-stir you here, I just read it wrong. Incidentally, whilst I'm sure we don't have much regard for each other's political views, when it comes to music, I do actually respect your opinions very highly.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
No fighting on the albums of the year thread!!!!

Agreed and I'm v sorry about that.

I'm going to spend a bit of time thinking about mine but surprising omissions include The Fall, Fufanu, Flaming Lips, The Moonlandingz, UNKLE, Black Grape, Zola Jesus and Alt-J. It seemed at one point that Moonlandingz would sweep all in their path but they've fallen out of favour so quickly. The Fall's new album is, in my opinion, their best in years. Black Grape's return is just magnificent. An album that guarantees to make you smile and love Sean Ryder that little bit more.

Albums that have only just come out that have been unlucky in being too late to make the cut include Shamir and Angel Olsen but both are extremely good.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Stormzy - Gang Signs & Prayer

Great album.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Ridiculous answer. Doubly so seeing as you started this thread and presumably spent some time looking at the list.

Just taking their top 20 albums from the list there are 13 solo artists named. 6 women and 7 men. Of the 6 women, 2 are non-white and of the 7 men, 3 are non-white. The top 3 albums have women at numbers 1 and 3.

The top 20 has Thundercat, Kelela and Sampha representing funk, R&B and soul. There's a distinct lack of heavy metal and reggae as well as grime in that top 100 but it's probably because it reflects the tastes of the record shop and the people who shop there and nothing more. To accuse Rough Trade of sexism and/or racism is just plain insulting.

I thought Herr T was having a good natured dig at me tbf!

And to clarify my point isn't that Rough Trade is in anyway prejudice just that this list, as always, is skewed toward people that buy the most records (Radio 6 listening, middle aged, white, men - I'm about 5 years away from being one!) And quite shamelessly promotes records that have Xmas special editions or Rough Trade Exclusive 7"'s above other records.

Though having said that, not having the Wiley or Stormzy record in there is dropping the ball pretty badly. Grime is THE big story in British music at the moment, to not have it represented in Britain's foremost independent record shop list is poor. Even poorer when you consider London is the birthplace of grime.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Wow, no Richard Dawson or Laura Marling in that one.
I don't get it. I also don't get why Godspeed is in both this and RT's list, as it's comfortably their weakest album in my view.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Apologies. I skim read the reply and misconstrued it. I wasn't deliberately trying to shit-stir you here, I just read it wrong. Incidentally, whilst I'm sure we don't have much regard for each other's political views, when it comes to music, I do actually respect your opinions very highly.

Thanks. Apology accepted.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And quite shamelessly promotes records that have Xmas special editions or Rough Trade Exclusive 7"'s above other records.

True. But these lists, with their choices and timing, are clearly part marketing vehicle these days. That said, I think record shops need every bit of help they can get so I don’t mind this. Same with bands taking sponsors money; its hard work in the Spotify era so if they want to take a few quid from some vodka brand I won’t begrudge them it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I expect a flood of high ratings for 'The Weather Report'.* ...oops
Which will make tickets for their gig at Latest Music Bar hard to come by. (Under £10 at the moment..... will probably be moved to a venue that takes more than 100 people).

EDIT ....

The Weather Station!!!

(Showing my age a bit. :) )

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here