Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] More of the Rings

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Liked the books when I was a kid. Never bothered with the films as, after watching a bit of the first one, I remembered I wasn't 8 years old any more and switched it off.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
It will depend how this is done. Like many I quite liked the LOTR Trilogy, but didn't like the Hobbit films. (Like butter spread on too much bread!). Hopefully this will not be a remake of the films, but a whole new adaptation of the source material. There is plenty of stuff in there to make some excellent TV, especially with the effects that are possible now. Like all films, TV Shows etc based on books it will be an adaptation, and some will love it, some hate it, some see it as sacrilegious to talk about doing it on TV . There will be changes from the books and as it has to be said, some of the writing is pretty tedious. Some of Jacksons changes in LOTR I thought helped, some in the Hobbit were awful. Lets give it a go and see what they come up with.
In similar vein, Anne Rice is adapting the Vampire Chronicles for one of the streaming services. Looking forward to that

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I am a HUGE fan of the books and film but please, no...less is more and JRR will be turning in his grave :timmy:

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/the-ho...equel-tv-series-spin-off-confirmed-by-amazon/

Oh god, please don't ruin what is already a fantastic story :nono:

Just NO
There is no writer qualified to 'fill in gaps' on Tolkien's works nor should they

If only it were somehow possible to not watch television programs you don't want to see :shrug:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It will depend how this is done. Like many I quite liked the LOTR Trilogy, but didn't like the Hobbit films. (Like butter spread on too much bread!). Hopefully this will not be a remake of the films, but a whole new adaptation of the source material. There is plenty of stuff in there to make some excellent TV, especially with the effects that are possible now. Like all films, TV Shows etc based on books it will be an adaptation, and some will love it, some hate it, some see it as sacrilegious to talk about doing it on TV . There will be changes from the books and as it has to be said, some of the writing is pretty tedious. Some of Jacksons changes in LOTR I thought helped, some in the Hobbit were awful. Lets give it a go and see what they come up with.
In similar vein, Anne Rice is adapting the Vampire Chronicles for one of the streaming services. Looking forward to that
Inevitably, at some point this will mean killing a lot of Orcs in violent and outlandish ways. Growing tired of it now

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
If they have access to the masses of published, partially competed and un-published material, and some scope to knit these together they might be able to produce something very special.

The Silmarillion is a heavy book, but full of fantastic stories and characters, not always well fleshed out, but given freedom to do so, that book alone could serve many seasons of a Middle Earth TV series.

I'm willing to give them a chance, after all they adapted The Man in the High Castle and Dirk Gently very well, as well as making Mr Robot.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Then there are the bits cut from the films, such as Bombadil and the Barrowdowns, the Druedain, Elrond's sons and Glorfindel.
Glorfindel wasn't so much cut from the films - his part in the events was just re-allocated to Liv Tyler's character.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Liked the books when I was a kid. Never bothered with the films as, after watching a bit of the first one, I remembered I wasn't 8 years old any more and switched it off.
Blimey, you read LOTR at 8? Obviously a Professor at Oxbridge now!

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
By coincidence I was in Isengard yesterday.

Well, where some of it was filmed anyway.

It is a truly spectacular place.

curly69

Jan 4, 2006
sydney
Wheel of time for me well worth the two/three year wait for the last two books.

Hendrax

Jan 23, 2013
Worthing
Fantasy isn't your cup of tea then.

It's odd you contribute to a thread about Tolkien. I get it though, reading Lord of the rings is a statement

The wheel of time is the best fantasy series ever written. Jordan was.a beautiful writer and I can't read otherfantasy authors because they don't live up to his creation.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Why has nobody written any more Hercule Poirot stories? OK Final Curtain had him killed, but Christie wrote that in the 30s. There must be plenty of scope for more.

There are two 'Dragon Tattoo' books written post mortem, and I think they are decent.

Don't talk to me about 'Licence Renewed' (Bond) however.

Back to the OP post, what was it CS Lewis said to Tolkein? ???

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Why has nobody written any more Hercule Poirot stories? OK Final Curtain had him killed, but Christie wrote that in the 30s. There must be plenty of scope for more.
And there must be someone out there who can write some more much needed Jane Austen books, shirley! With a few sensitively added battle scenes they could make some excellent films too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here