Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Items that made you think "GAME CHANGER"

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Not so much an item itself but the use of said item.

BUM BAG. At the AIRPORT.

Scrabbling around in your pockets for your passport? Heart skipped a beat because you've put it in the 'wrong' pocket? Not anymore sonny jim. I wouldn't travel without this now, keep all your stuff in the same place and the whole airport thing is a breeze. I can fit the following:

Pocket 1: Headphones, receipts (expenses). House key, car key (if applicable)
Pocket 2: Phone, passport, wallet. It's important that all these items are kept together for additional peace of mind.
Pocket 3: Power bank and lead.

The bonus that you look like a ****ing don when wearing this truly revolutionary piece of kit is the cherry on top. I have got a Carhartt one because I'm cool and I would always recommend spending that little bit extra for quality gear. But well, buy once.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Not so much an item itself but the use of said item.

BUM BAG. At the AIRPORT.

Scrabbling around in your pockets for your passport? Heart skipped a beat because you've put it in the 'wrong' pocket? Not anymore sonny jim. I wouldn't travel without this now, keep all your stuff in the same place and the whole airport thing is a breeze. I can fit the following:

Pocket 1: Headphones, receipts (expenses). House key, car key (if applicable)
Pocket 2: Phone, passport, wallet. It's important that all these items are kept together for additional peace of mind.
Pocket 3: Power bank and lead.

The bonus that you look like a ****ing don when wearing this truly revolutionary piece of kit is the cherry on top. I have got a Carhartt one because I'm cool and I would always recommend spending that little bit extra for quality gear. But well, buy once.

I've always had you marked down as one of the community with a certain level of taste. You have standards and you won't compromise on them.

If that post is a serious one, you've just blown my opinion right out of the water.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Of recent times, the impact driver. First things I've used in a long time and thought 'how did I live my life without THIS?'

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I've always had you marked down as one of the community with a certain level of taste. You have standards and you won't compromise on them.

If that post is a serious one, you've just blown my opinion right out of the water.

What if I told you I actually wore it around Lisbon whilst on holiday? What then?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
ENCARTA.

Rewind to circa 1995. An 8 year old Mejona comes home with yet another piece of homework about DINOSAURS or ROCKS or whatever.

"Oh mother", I ask. "How WILL I ever read enough books on dinosaurs to answer these difficult questions about the prehistoric beasts?".

"Don't worry little Mej", she said.

And then she handed me that disc. Encarta.

Bewildered, I open the disc tray, then close It again, then open it, then get told off for playing with the disc tray.

Finally, I insert the disc and the intro will stay with me forever. Patriotic American music, Neil Armstrong's famous words, Martin Luther King's speech....and then a world of information at your fingertips.

I used to hand in my homework and feel like an imposter. I've used the SINGLE greatest source of information a computer can (and will ever) provide and none of you know it.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
So before email, you'd have been getting someone (not the secretary, he's gone home) to book a courier?
In Sheffield? In 1998? Would have had more chance with a carrier pigeon. And the boss would have been too tight to pay for that let alone a courier.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
ENCARTA.

Rewind to circa 1995. An 8 year old Mejona comes home with yet another piece of homework about DINOSAURS or ROCKS or whatever.

"Oh mother", I ask. "How WILL I ever read enough books on dinosaurs to answer these difficult questions about the prehistoric beasts?".

"Don't worry little Mej", she said.

And then she handed me that disc. Encarta.

Bewildered, I open the disc tray, then close It again, then open it, then get told off for playing with the disc tray.

Finally, I insert the disc and the intro will stay with me forever. Patriotic American music, Neil Armstrong's famous words, Martin Luther King's speech....and then a world of information at your fingertips.

I used to hand in my homework and feel like an imposter. I've used the SINGLE greatest source of information a computer can (and will ever) provide and none of you know it.

You did your homework? Well thats a shock

The Clamp

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Certainly not a new invention but for me, thermal Long Johns. I began wearing them on a camping holiday to Cornwall, then they crept onto my legs for trips to Withdean, now theys are a staple from November through to March/April.
Honestly one of the best things I've discovered. I simply never get cold and if you get quality pairs from a proper outdoor shop they are breathable and very comfy.
Try them. You won't regret it.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Can't be arsed to trawl through the whole thread to see if this has been said before, but those ball throwing things that dog walkers use. Sheer GENIUS and such a simple idea.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Those pens with the woman wearing a bikini that disappears when you turn it upside down.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Heated steering wheel on a car.

How I coped steering with a a cold wheel all these years I will never know.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am surprised this thread has gone on this long and nobody has mentioned the microwave oven. No moire keeping dinners hot on a plate over a saucepan of boiling water or drying up in the oven. That is apart from cooking convenience food.

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
sticky stamps instead of the ones you had to lick.... how did they take so long to come about when the world had produced Panini Stickers for so long before.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
I am surprised this thread has gone on this long and nobody has mentioned the microwave oven. No moire keeping dinners hot on a plate over a saucepan of boiling water or drying up in the oven. That is apart from cooking convenience food.

I would actually vote this as the most pointless kitchen gadget. Takes up a massive amount of worktop space i and everything you cook in it can be done on the hob/oven. The last time I can remember using it was to sterilize baby bottles/ a dummy, never cook using it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here