Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Items that made you think "GAME CHANGER"

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
When the Television was invented. It was such a change from the boring old chatting with your family, friends and neighbours.

Turned my life around completely.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
WiFi - friend said she was messaging me on MSN from end of her garden using this new tech. I was genuinely thinking WTF, HOW?

Back in the 90s - Altavista website (the first search site that genuinely identified stuff you were looking for)

First pair of 1210 decks - sturdy mofos

Bobby Zamora

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Before our time obviously but can you imagine the first photography ever taken, recording real life in an image, that must have been MENTAL.

There's a wonderful anecdote about the early days of cinema. Before the days of mass media film, fairgrounds often had travelling cinemas that would show people moving images for the first time, one of which was a train approaching the station. Mass hysteria would break out as it approached the camera as people couldn't get their heads around the idea that it was recorded and not real.

Scorsese did a version of events in Hugo...

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
The Sinclair C5.

It was the first time I saw that we could all have an affordable, fast, clean and safe method of travel.

on-this-day-the-sinclair-c5-hits-the-road-141828711419203901-150109222715.jpg

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
For me it was email. It was in use way before I was aware of it of course, but once it became ubiquitous it unlocked cheap communication in a way that nothing else has. The world got a lot flatter the day email was invented.

IT also killed off the motorcycle messenger industry really quickly. There is a business that was born and died within the space of 10 years. For a while they were everywhere, same-day couriers whizzing stuff all over Cities, helping business chug along. And then they are basically wiped out in a short period, through a combination of email and relatively cheap broadband.

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
For me it was email. It was in use way before I was aware of it of course, but once it became ubiquitous it unlocked cheap communication in a way that nothing else has. The world got a lot flatter the day email was invented.

IT also killed off the motorcycle messenger industry really quickly. There is a business that was born and died within the space of 10 years. For a while they were everywhere, same-day couriers whizzing stuff all over Cities, helping business chug along. And then they are basically wiped out in a short period, through a combination of email and relatively cheap broadband.

Fast forward 20 years and we have an even greater number of couriers delivering food.

If only someone could invent a way of delivering food by email.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
WiFi - friend said she was messaging me on MSN from end of her garden using this new tech. I was genuinely thinking WTF, HOW?

Back in the 90s - Altavista website (the first search site that genuinely identified stuff you were looking for)

First pair of 1210 decks - sturdy mofos

Bobby Zamora

1200s changed the game not 1210s

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Sky+

What...you can actually PAUSE live TV...and REWIND it ? And record stuff at the touch of a button, with no tape ?

Get out. Go on, get out.

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro

I hope her neighbours have since learned about wifi security. :lol:

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England

Wouldnt happen in SA
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8248056.stm
Things are somewhat better now

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here