Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    worshipping Omiros

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by lawros left foot View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Someone that I know, has handed in his notice today at a very well known company, and, they( the company) are not happy about it.
    In a meeting with his superiors, he has been told he is not allowed to tell any of his work colleagues that he has a new job and will be leaving after his notice period( also, an area of contention), on pain of instant dismissal for gross misconduct.
    Can his company do this?

Sounds to me like a case for sick leave..I would be stressed as hell if my company had put that statement out!
    " It's a certain kind of fool that likes to hear the sound of his own voice"
    The Eagles - Certain Kind of Fool. Desperado

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Weststander View Post
      The gross misconduct items in handbooks and contracts, are only individually enforceable, if they are matters widely held in employment law to warrant that.

I forced draft contracts to be changed after a former ‘Dickensian-like’ employer of mine, tried to impose them on the staff with all and sundry shifted to the gross misconduct category. The manipulator failed.
      I agree entirely..employers cant add 'walking on the cracks in the pavement' as an offence. Ive seen employers try to hold an employee not obeying an order as subordination without understanding that the order was in itself unreasonable
      Dislike list

Temporary - East, Dyche, Barton, Boro
      Permanent - Dean, Challis, Moreton, Pardew, Bellotti, Stanley, Archer
      Minister of Information

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by AmexRuislip View Post
      Surely there's nothing illegal, if he announces he's having a leaving do at the local pub!
      When I worked for a company I was told that if I left that I couldn't work for a rival company for one year.

It was in my contract. But it's not legally enforceable.

I doubt very much whether this is either. A tribunal would be all over it.
      I've lost my way. If anyone should find it, do return it quickly. I should imagine it quite rusty by now.
      Longing for retirement. AmexRuislip's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Brighton Lines View Post
      When I worked for a company I was told that if I left that I couldn't work for a rival company for one year.
      I wonder how that works with myself, as I work for one company, who's lost a major contract to a rival.
      The whole workforce gets Tupe'd over!
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Brighton Lines View Post

It was in my contract. But it's not legally enforceable.

I doubt very much whether this is either. A tribunal would be all over it.
      I had that too and they tried to enforce it for 3 years internationally across any company in my trade!
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      They actually cannot force them not to tell anyone but it is common practice to ask them to do so. If they agree to it they usually give a slightly beneficial ''severance'' if it is maintained.
      Minister of Information

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by AmexRuislip View Post
      I wonder how that works with myself, as I work for one company, who's lost a major contract to a rival.
      The whole workforce gets Tupe'd over!
      EU regulations. Free movement of workers. One of the companies I worked for lost a lot of good folk to a rival company set up by previous employees.

That was the one that had the unenforceable contract.
      I've lost my way. If anyone should find it, do return it quickly. I should imagine it quite rusty by now.
      Originally the Swankers Garage_Doors's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
      I'm really hoping his initial arn't CH
      God Save The Queen
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by ROSM View Post
      I agree entirely..employers cant add 'walking on the cracks in the pavement' as an offence. Ive seen employers try to hold an employee not obeying an order as subordination without understanding that the order was in itself unreasonable
      Or in my case the opposite. That is - obeying a direct order from my boss and his boss, only to be initially suspended on the basis that what I did was 'not appropriate'. Or more to the point, when I was asked at my 'investigation interview' whether I had thought what we had done was appropriate, my response was 'I don't know, I've only been here a few months, and I, along with my colleagues, was instructed to do this. If my bosses thought it was appropriate, then who was I to argue?'. Needless to say we got fired for gross misconduct and the bosses are still there....

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Easy 10 View Post
      Can't wait for this headline when Pascal gets sent off.
      Or Gross point blank when he scores a tap in.