Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Gross misconduct at work, help needed.

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
Quote Originally Posted by lawros left foot View Post
Someone that I know, has handed in his notice today at a very well known company, and, they( the company) are not happy about it.
In a meeting with his superiors, he has been told he is not allowed to tell any of his work colleagues that he has a new job and will be leaving after his notice period( also, an area of contention), on pain of instant dismissal for gross misconduct.
Can his company do this?

If his colleagues find out he has a new job, how will the company know the information has come from him.
He must be a highly valued employee, if the company don't want to pay out his notice period.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Someone that I know, has handed in his notice today at a very well known company, and, they( the company) are not happy about it.
In a meeting with his superiors, he has been told he is not allowed to tell any of his work colleagues that he has a new job and will be leaving after his notice period( also, an area of contention), on pain of instant dismissal for gross misconduct.
Can his company do this?

Think I know the company!

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
I wonder how that works with myself, as I work for one company, who's lost a major contract to a rival.
The whole workforce gets Tupe'd over!
It doesnt work its complete bull and against your right to work - also completely unenforceable as your contract ends so they have no leverage over you.
Some people are saying record the conversarion for proof as far as I am aware to use a recording as evidence you need both parties agreement to record so you give the game away.You need a witness.

Just get your mate to comit gross mosconduct anyway and take the threat out of the equation deck the boss, leave a todger on the desk take your pick.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
When I worked for a company I was told that if I left that I couldn't work for a rival company for one year.

It was in my contract. But it's not legally enforceable.

I doubt very much whether this is either. A tribunal would be all over it.

Indeed. One employer tried to enforce that clause on me and got rather nasty about it when I pointed it out that it was an illegal clause. They soon backed down once my solicitor spoke to them. It's actually a restriction of trade which is illegal under EU law.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Indeed. One employer tried to enforce that clause on me and got rather nasty about it when I pointed it out that it was an illegal clause. They soon backed down once my solicitor spoke to them. It's actually a restriction of trade which is illegal under EU law.

Does that mean that soon it will actually become legal?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here