Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] There is some conjecture on social media if the £1.85m the council have spent on Volks....

D

Deleted User X18H

....Railway s entirely justifiable.

What say you?

For me it is perfectly reasonable to spend my Council Tax contributions on this great project.

Volks had it’s centenary in 1983. A great year for Brighton & Hove.

There are people on other sites making comments like ‘it’s pointless as it doesn’t even get as far as the Marina!!’

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
It is unique and part of Brighton's history. It's also the only place in the town that has (or did have) an Omnibus circuit between the stations and workshops.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
In times of austerity we need to be very careful on what money is spent on in my view housing is the highest priority locally with 26,000 people on housing waiting lists Volkes Railway is not high priority.

Nationally the same can be said for Bucingham Palace and the Houses of Westminster neither in times of austerity should even be considered.

The money is there it's how we choose to spend it I for one want to divert money into homes and infrastructure and build our way out of this mess and not to keep patching up the UK PLC there are enough super rich if they so choose they can fund these projects and earn themselves another medal or title

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Don't see a problem with that. Didn't they spend millions replacing all the smart looking decency green signs with tacky looking multi coloured ones? Now that is a waste of money.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
One of the main economic generators for the city is visitors. Clearly a historic attraction like this generates income for the local economy and the refurbishment is a good investment to maintain these income and ensuring that the seafront remains an attraction for visitors.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
No problems at all. Ditto any money they spend preserving the Pavilion or the elm trees. It is a balancing act, but we lost the West Pier because some people said the council shouldn't divert money away from education etc, but since that mistake successive councils, to their credit, have realised that there is more to running a town/city than simply providing basic services. It's a pity that the Arches are probably a step too far for the Council alone.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
IF it came in on budget It would pay for itself in five years.
And there should be a botanical gardens running under the arches.
The stretch from the ghastly crap east of the palace pier to the C2 should be a celebration of Brighton's Victorian heritage.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
If Brighton city does not keep investing the City will become a wreck and lead to more loss of jobs poor standed of living and more issues get repairing the seafront clean the roads leading from the station etc

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
The council is expected (rightly in my view) to invest in the heritage & infrastructure of the city

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
....Railway s entirely justifiable.

What say you?

For me it is perfectly reasonable to spend my Council Tax contributions on this great project.

Volks had it’s centenary in 1983. A great year for Brighton & Hove.

There are people on other sites making comments like ‘it’s pointless as it doesn’t even get as far as the Marina!!’

I say, is this actually the case? I was aware they had a lottery grant to fund the latest works, but having consulted Google I cannot find anything to suggest they received £1.85m from the council. Can you confirm this is accurate? Not saying it's not, I just can't find anything to suggest this has happened. Admittedly I have only spent a short time looking.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I say, is this actually the case? I was aware they had a lottery grant to fund the latest works, but having consulted Google I cannot find anything to suggest they received £1.85m from the council. Can you confirm this is accurate? Not saying it's not, I just can't find anything to suggest this has happened. Admittedly I have only spent a short time looking.

The council website says £1.65M but doesn't say it was council money.

https://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/co...ravel-transport-and-road-safety/volks-railway

HB&B's own 'paper' says it was £1.65M.

The new building will house the Volk’s Railway Aquarium Station and a new visitor centre. It forms part of a £1.65 million Heritage Lottery-funded improvement scheme of the Volk's Railway.

http://www.brightonandhoveindepende...tion-installed-at-brighton-seafront-1-8009745

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
It's ill informed crap like the original poster spreads that gets people up in arms when there is nothing to be up in arms about. Show me the proof that the council paid a penny towards the renovation? As Uter and Thunder Bolt have said it was a Heritage Lottery funded scheme and nothing at all to do with the council even though the railway is council owned but has been operated by VERA members on a voluntary basis since it reopened this year and who would not answer if the money made by the railway since they reopened it and were operating it for free was going to the Association or straight to the council coffers (If only there was a hard hitting local journalist type on the forums who could look into this real story) .

Typical lazy journalism yet again, cant even get the figure right let alone the source of the funding and I notice that he still has to use click bait titles as well.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
It's ill informed crap like the original poster spreads that gets people up in arms when there is nothing to be up in arms about. Show me the proof that the council paid a penny towards the renovation? As Uter and Thunder Bolt have said it was a Heritage Lottery funded scheme and nothing at all to do with the council even though the railway is council owned but has been operated by VERA members on a voluntary basis since it reopened this year and who would not answer if the money made by the railway since they reopened it and were operating it for free was going to the Association or straight to the council coffers (If only there was a hard hitting local journalist type on the forums who could look into this real story) .

Typical lazy journalism yet again, cant even get the figure right let alone the source of the funding and I notice that he still has to use click bait titles as well.

With an application for capital funding like we have here, the council would be expected to contribute... something. Often around 10%-15% or so of the value of the project.

Bear in mind Council Tax income accounts for around one-sixth (16.9%) of the total Brighton & Hove City Council income.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
No problem spending the money on part of Brighton's history, however while they were at it they should have spent some more and extended it west to the pier and east to the marina. Then it would have been a real success story. As it is it goes from near the pier to near the marina, but many tourists don't know it's there.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
No problem spending the money on part of Brighton's history, however while they were at it they should have spent some more and extended it west to the pier and east to the marina. Then it would have been a real success story. As it is it goes from near the pier to near the marina, but many tourists don't know it's there.

And where does the Council find these tens of millions of pounds to excavate, source the materials, and build the several hundred yards of Maderia terraces? Especially when they would go through roads (Duke's Mound, Sussex Square Tunnel), or go too high for the Marine Parade (western end)...?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

The station at the pier end isn't exactly far from the pier entrance, any tourist visiting the pier would be able to see the railway unless they only looked towards Hove.

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
The council should at least contribute towards these projects, we pay enough council tax for the privilege of having them for f**ks sake.
Brighton is a tourist attraction, maintaining and improving it's facilities is necessary and also adds to the overall effect Brighton has on it's visitors, they are more likely to return if they at least like the place.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
And where does the Council find these tens of millions of pounds to excavate, source the materials, and build the several hundred yards of Maderia terraces? Especially when they would go through roads (Duke's Mound, Sussex Square Tunnel), or go too high for the Marine Parade (western end)...?

You must be one of the most argumentative people on here ... and based on your reply (above) also one of the most ignorant. I honestly have no idea what you are talking about. I suggested that the Volks Railway should be extended west to the pier and east to the marina. Your response talks about:
* "the cost of excavation" - what excavation? - the land is flat in both directions
* "going through roads" - there would be no roads to go through, what are you talking about?
* "build more Madeira Terraces"; "go too high for Marine Parade" - you have completely lost me!

May I suggest that you thoroughly read posts and ensure you have a full understanding of the content before replying.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here