Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Govern or Go

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Good to see May telling it how it is with regards to Russia meddling in other countries affairs and recent elections, and attempting to (and imo succeeding) sow discord.

I wonder to what extent their meddling was successful though, it certainly had an impact imo.

I see, this meddling in other countries affairs isn’t just a Russian thing though is it?

This thread has largely been about an Iranian woman now married to a British man, who has already been imprisoned for a couple of years. She is in prison not because of Boris, but in spite of Boris. She will get freedom if we make some concession to the Iranians.........how about if Boris announced he was scrapping the service below for starters

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02pc9mc

If we want her out, this would reassure the Iranians that we are not meddling in their affairs.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
I see, this meddling in other countries affairs isn’t just a Russian thing though is it?

This thread has largely been about an Iranian woman now married to a British man, who has already been imprisoned for a couple of years. She is in prison not because of Boris, but in spite of Boris. She will get freedom if we make some concession to the Iranians.........how about if Boris announced he was scrapping the service below for starters

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02pc9mc

If we want her out, this would reassure the Iranians that we are not meddling in their affairs.

Well the thread has also been about May's inability to maneuver due to insidious masculine power. I'm critical of May's apparent ineffectiveness, but I'm unsure if that's due to masculine power or not.

But in accusing Russia, led by a powerful man, of covert practices to undermine the democratic process of other sovereign states, to Russia's benefit, she is showing she is powerful and effective, surely you would agree?

In terms of BBC Persia I'm not sure an overt media platform is quite the same, conflating BBC Persia with Russian bots, fake news and the finance of arguably underhand political practices is a bit dubious IMO.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Well the thread has also been about May's inability to maneuver due to insidious masculine power. I'm critical of May's apparent ineffectiveness, but I'm unsure if that's due to masculine power or not.

But in accusing Russia, led by a powerful man, of covert practices to undermine the democratic process of other sovereign states, to Russia's benefit, she is showing she is powerful and effective, surely you would agree?

In terms of BBC Persia I'm not sure an overt media platform is quite the same, conflating BBC Persia with Russian bots, fake news and the finance of arguably underhand political practices is a bit dubious IMO.

Why does BBC Persia even exist?

Is it a) British news in English for the British ex-pats, and hundreds of thousands of British holiday makers enjoying their 2 weeks of sun, beers and English breakfasts on the golden beaches of Kish?

Or......

Is it b) local news in Farsi which will provide different views and stories in competition with the local national controlled broadcasts including reporting critical of the Iranian regime?

If you don’t think the British Govt has and is currently having a good old meddle in Iranian affairs you are an naive fool.

I bet you thought the Iraqis had WMD didn’t you you silly old tinker you........

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I am truly sorry to hear you lost your Dad to cancer. I too have lost my Mum to cancer as I am sure many other people have. My thoughts are with you and anyone else who has been thorough losing someone close to them whatever the cause.

I am not naive or daft, I feel perhaps I just have not been very clear.

My point has nothing to do with equality. Nothing to do with sexual harassment. My point is power being used over others to make them act against what they would like to do. Person to person although women suffer more due to historic human behaviour. Some people men and women make fear based decisions when faced with other people wielding power over them. Power can be tyrannical. political, financial sexual etc...

Teresa May should govern or go.... Stand up for herself against Boris and sack him. Make a statement to her MP's daring them to let political power bring the government down. Ask for their support and call Boris and the old boys network out for the bullies they are.

I would love to live in a peaceful world too. It's a sad world. In parts of the world it is run by power wielding dictators, causing the worlds worst problems. They are at the top end of the scale of power problems as it were. :(

i would say that 80% or more of politicians are in it purely for personal gain.......the older i get the more disgusted i am with the whole system.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Is it a) British news in English for the British ex-pats, and hundreds of thousands of British holiday makers enjoying their 2 weeks of sun, beers and English breakfasts on the golden beaches of Kish?

Or......

Is it b) local news in Farsi which will provide different views and stories in competition with the local national controlled broadcasts including reporting critical of the Iranian regime?

If you don’t think the British Govt has and is currently having a good old meddle in Iranian affairs you are an naive fool.

I bet you thought the Iraqis had WMD didn’t you you silly old tinker you........

Isn't that rather the same as El Jazirah (sp) having an English language service though?

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

Or......

If you are of the opinion that the British Broadcasting Cooperation Persian service (and the British Broadcasting Cooperation French/Thai service etc.) is equivalent to the insidious, subversive and anonymous Russian Bots, anonymous Russian sourced fake news appearing across the internet straight at the easily impressionable and misled, and Russian financed organisations directly working to influence elections, then fair enough I guess!

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017

The thread for me isn't about insidious masculine power. Just the power humans and their egos hold over another.

When discussing issues in depth, it is normally a woman who does not stand up for herself, but can be men too. In fact its often worse for men as they find it even harder to speak out than women especially in cases of domestic violence.

Its the discussion that distracts us into side tracking the power issue and turning it into a gender one. I mentioned the sexual harassment in my OP as it was a current example of power over others which is a big story at the moment. I wasn't meaning to make it gender related, although I see how others may read it. As I originally posted "Its the power we as humans we object to."

Teresa May feels the power from her party. Boris is just one MP, although I accept that every MP matters at the moment. She fears all of her MP's. She is only in power because anything is better than Corbyn. ABC should be making her stronger in my opinion.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
I love my bra, I love being a woman. I hate people using power over doing the right thing. I want Brexit, I don't want a Foreign Secretary who puts a British nationals life in danger, male or female.

Yup.

He is a buffoon and has put a British National's life at risk by talking absolute bollox. Get rid.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
It has been reported that she got jailed for participating in 'Green Revolution' anti-regime demos in 2009.Very lucky she wasn't caught then,as Ahmadonjihad supporters cracked down savagely on dissent.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
If you are of the opinion that the British Broadcasting Cooperation Persian service (and the British Broadcasting Cooperation French/Thai service etc.) is equivalent to the insidious, subversive and anonymous Russian Bots, anonymous Russian sourced fake news appearing across the internet straight at the easily impressionable and misled, and Russian financed organisations directly working to influence elections, then fair enough I guess!

So from this point we can establish that you are no more than a naive fool.

ALL countries will be intereferring with other countries where they have a strategic interest.

Russia will be doing so in major western countries, major western countries will be doing so in Russia, even if they initially lie about it......

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...was-genuine-former-chief-of-staff-admits.html

The UK, or little Satan as it is known to many of the Iranians has been interfering in Iran for decades, and if you think that the UK Government during this time has been a paragon of honesty and virtue, you are a naive fool of monumental proportions.

The BBC’s world service is jointly funded by the foreign office, so their broadcasting agenda is going to be influenced by the strategic aims of the foreign office, whatever they may be.

That’s the world, you may think our shit don’t stink, and in comparison to the Iranians and Russians maybe our shit has a more pleasant note, however it’s still shit. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Last edited:

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Isn't that rather the same as El Jazirah (sp) having an English language service though?

All news stations, privately owned or Govt controlled report news in accordance with editorial policy, and this does not represent true independence. Al Jazeera is run by the Qataris, a country with a Govt that as we know is beyond approach and corruption.

I’m sure we won the 2012 Olympics without any gifts, favours and brown envelopes.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
From what was said on the news last night it seems that this ladys destiny has nothing whatsoever to do with what Boris did or didnt say just some opponents of him trying to make mischief out of nothing. What a surprise !!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here