Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Govern or Go

larus

This country is crying out for a real strong leader who has,Direction,strategy and real leadership qualities....sadly we have nothing anywhere near this.

Agree about the Maggie comments :)

We’ve not had a strong PM since her from either side.

Major.
Blair.
Brown,
Cameron.
May.

Then, just add Johnson, Corbyn, or any other name who’s around at the moment and you’d be thinking “Oh crap”.

Like her or loathe her, no one could say she was weak. Made some mistakes (as we all do), but was what we needed after the debacle of the Heath/Wilson/Callaghan years, unions striking over pathetic actions and ruining the country.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
All the time the Tories have a majority they will thankfully vote for him to keep Corbyn further away and hope that he (Corbyn) just grows old with his fantasy world and retires.

The Tories had a majority, but they decided to take a gamble on that, and lost out. They're still losing, and inflicting pain and derision on the rest of us.

larus

The Tories had a majority, but they decided to take a gamble on that, and lost out. They're still losing, and inflicting pain and derision on the rest of us.

Strange this is, even with the complete shambles that the Tories are in, Labour are only just polling above them. Incumbents are nearly always behind in the polls, and then elections focus peoples minds. I honestly don’t think the majority of people would want Labour in power, and the realisation that it is a possibility may be one of the strongest vote winners for the Tories.

ABC - Anyone But Corbyn.

Also, the promises which he made to bribe the young last time he went back on, such as wiping out existing student debt.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I'm starting to wonder if there isn't a lot more about this Iranian incident than any of us are aware. I cannot see why they would take her in the first place. Was she just unlucky to have been 'picked' out of all the many other travelers between the UK and Iran or was there something else? As for Johnson and Gove, maybe there was something. Why would Boris come out with the training comment when it had never been mentioned before? He may be a loose cannon, but if this was completely made up it would be unusual. As for Gove, it appeared watching him talk this morning that he wasn't willing to say outright what she was doing there. As soon as Marr mentioned a holiday he straight away said that 'if that's what her husband said then I support him completely'. I think we'll get more coming out of this story soon.

its odd isnt it? Boris misspeaking is one thing, Gove isnt prone to misspeaking.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
So Corbyn has less than half a brain then

No BG, you might have to re-read that post...most of her threats are from her own party. She is a middle manager who has risen far above her abilities by the simple expedient that all her better rivals stabbed each other in the back and front leaving her last man standing. She is weak, indecisive and can't read political situations or govern with any authority..... did I mention Corbyn ?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I'm starting to wonder if there isn't a lot more about this Iranian incident than any of us are aware. I cannot see why they would take her in the first place. Was she just unlucky to have been 'picked' out of all the many other travelers between the UK and Iran or was there something else? As for Johnson and Gove, maybe there was something. Why would Boris come out with the training comment when it had never been mentioned before? He may be a loose cannon, but if this was completely made up it would be unusual. As for Gove, it appeared watching him talk this morning that he wasn't willing to say outright what she was doing there. As soon as Marr mentioned a holiday he straight away said that 'if that's what her husband said then I support him completely'. I think we'll get more coming out of this story soon.
Indeed. Boris wasn't just making things up at random - he let some sort of cat out of the bag.

And Gove also was covering himself with careful words if that particular cat was then caught in the spotlight.

Last edited:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
We’ve not had a strong PM since her from either side.

Major.
Blair.
Brown,
Cameron.
May.

Then, just add Johnson, Corbyn, or any other name who’s around at the moment and you’d be thinking “Oh crap”.

Like her or loathe her, no one could say she was weak. Made some mistakes (as we all do), but was what we needed after the debacle of the Heath/Wilson/Callaghan years, unions striking over pathetic actions and ruining the country.

Now we find ourselves in a country where very few unions have any power whatsoever and the country has and is going to the dogs. Now there is nothing left to sell off and our infrastructure is degraded to the extent that we can't even build a new nuclear power station ourselves, where German supermarkets pay better wages and charge lower prices than ours, a country where our public toilets are boarded up because we can't pay people to clean them, where our trains are overcrowded,overpriced and built abroad and yet half the population feel Brexit will suddenly catapult us to the Promised Land.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Mrs Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe is in a region of the world controlled by that countries rules. Only an idiot would think those rules fair I guess. However they alone get to decide who to arrest and for what. International or charitable pressure should and is applied. Whether they decide to listen is again up to them unfortunately for her. I can't quite see why a prominent politician in the UK should have to resign though by stating the bleeding obvious. As for the OP you go right ahead pretending for you it's not a feminist fight. Bless you.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009

She wasn’t on holiday for starters, she was taking her child to see her family and who knows what their story is?

She wasn’t at her place of work obviously so was on holiday leave, but she wasn’t on “holiday”. Who the f*ck goes on holiday in Iran?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Who would want Boris as Prime minister now? He has dug hos own grave surely....

Why do people refer to him as 'Boris' and everyone else by their surname ? Has his bumbling act really caused such affection ?

How on earth he is anywhere near government I don't know.

What's the choice for next leader ? Him or Rees-Mogg ?

Strewth.

larus

Now we find ourselves in a country where very few unions have any power whatsoever and the country has and is going to the dogs. Now there is nothing left to sell off and our infrastructure is degraded to the extent that we can't even build a new nuclear power station ourselves, where German supermarkets pay better wages and charge lower prices than ours, a country where our public toilets are boarded up because we can't pay people to clean them, where our trains are overcrowded,overpriced and built abroad and yet half the population feel Brexit will suddenly catapult us to the Promised Land.

I rememeber strikes being called because Leyland had the audacity to sack ‘workers” who were sleeping on the night shift.

The proble with so many on the left is that they never want to admit that the unions were part of the problem. They should be there to protect workers rights, but not be used to for political ambition, not to hold the country to ransom and get unfair wages.

I see that the Southern strike is over after they got 24% (I believe) staggered pay rises over 5 years. Hmm, so much to customer safety and wanting guards on trains.

If you noticed, I was equally scathing of both Tories and Labour leaders. You, on the other hand, will never admit any left failures.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
She wasn’t on holiday for starters, she was taking her child to see her family and who knows what their story is?

She wasn’t at her place of work obviously so was on holiday leave, but she wasn’t on “holiday”. Who the f*ck goes on holiday in Iran?

People who have Iranian citizenship and parents living there.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Why do people refer to him as 'Boris' and everyone else by their surname ? Has his bumbling act really caused such affection ?

How on earth he is anywhere near government I don't know.

What's the choice for next leader ? Him or Rees-Mogg ?

Strewth.

'Boris' has fewer letters than 'Johnson' and is immediately recognisable. A few years ago everyone knew who 'Maggie' was too.

The next leader may well be someone that we haven't really heard much from - especially if it's not for a couple of years. Don't rule out Gove though.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
'Boris' has fewer letters than 'Johnson' and is immediately recognisable. A few years ago everyone knew who 'Maggie' was too.

The next leader may well be someone that we haven't really heard much from - especially if it's not for a couple of years. Don't rule out Gove though.

As long as it is not 'Jezza'

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
People who have Iranian citizenship and parents living there.

Sure, ex pat Iranians seeing their family in Iran.

That is the purpose of her leave from work though isn’t it, it’s not the same as going on holiday?

I’ve been to Australia on holiday, and I didn’t see members of my family that live there.........maybe one day I will decide to do that, and if that is my primary purpose for going to Australia it won’t be a holiday, it will be to see family.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Well, all those bad things that he listed - infrastructure all flogged off and nothing left to sell, inability to build our own nuclear power station, better pay in German supermarkets, boarded up public loos, crowded and over-priced (and foreign built trains) - all that has come about in the 40 years since we joined the EEU/EU. So we're certainly not leaving any sort of promised land.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
If Jezza ever gets to become leader of the Tories then a lot of people might have a lot of egg on their faces.

Could you imagine that! Or even as PM. No, so maybe I don't want to think about that at all.....:lolol:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Also, the promises which he made to bribe the young last time he went back on, such as wiping out existing student debt.

Except that he didn't. What he said was "Yes, there is a block of those that currently have a massive debt, and I’m looking at ways that we could reduce that, ameliorate that, lengthen the period of paying it off, or some other means of reducing that debt burden.”

"I'm looking at" does not mean "I promise" not in any interpretation

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
So Corbyn has less than half a brain then

For a man that has the vast majority of the British press against him and who is easy to mock being something of a tree hugger type (my favourite insult was from a journalist that called him a weaponised lentil) he isn't doing badly. Just shows what a shower of shite your Tories are that they can't pick off such an easy target. Corbyn has gone from being a figure of fun to the right wing to a genuine threat. People don't want polished, sound bite politicians anymore and whatever you think of his ideas Corbyn is a man of principle, unlike Boris who would skin his own cock if he thought it would advance his career.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here