Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Russell Crowe and Albion v Millwall

0 Not allowed!
    I'm listening to Radio 6 currently, and Russell Crowe is on talking about various things.

Imagine my surprise when he mentioned Albion v Millwall and recording the crowd to use it for inspiration for a role.

I didn't catch all the detail, but I assume it was this story I found online elsewhere >>> http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/hot...ml#post1197961

"When he was preparing to play a skinhead in Romper Stomper – a key calling card for Hollywood – he wanted to meet real skinheads and to go to Wrexham where one side of his family originally came from. We got as far as Cardiff where we drank in a rough boozer, full of tattooed heavies – skinheads in all but name. He struck up a conversation with a couple of Neanderthals, drawing them out until they were spouting some spectacularly nasty racist garbage, and it was only later that I found out he’d been taping them.

We went back to Brighton to watch Brighton & Hove Albion in a play-off against Millwall. The match was ugly, the crowd uglier and to Crowe’s delight there was a pitch invasion. We stood in the middle of the Brighton fans celebrating, with Crowe recording every obscenity and chant so he could take it all back Down Under with him. It’s all in the preparation. "

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Roo only sing when we're winning...

3 Not allowed!
      Fascinating stuff.
      I see that the movie came out in 1992 (Thanks IMDB), So I assume that this was in the play-off on 19th May 1991, which we won 4-1?
      Shirley his visit to the hallowed ground should have been enough for a preservation order on the Goldstone? If only we had known at the time.
      Members
      Bitterne,Southampton, close to the M27 and 65 miles from the Temple of Bloom.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Brok View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Roo only sing when we're winning...
      Aussie! Aussie! Aussie! Oi! Oi! Oi! (They really have got only one song!)
      Members
      Bitterne,Southampton, close to the M27 and 65 miles from the Temple of Bloom.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by burnee54 View Post
      Fascinating stuff.
      I see that the movie came out in 1992 (Thanks IMDB), So I assume that this was in the play-off on 19th May 1991, which we won 4-1?
      Shirley his visit to the hallowed ground should have been enough for a preservation order on the Goldstone? If only we had known at the time.
      "At my signal unleash hell!" - that would have set the North Stand off.

1 Not allowed!
      I went up to that with a Millwall supporter who ran a pub in Pevensey Bay. He took me to a pub .....
      When I went to pay for the drinks the barman spotted my lovely Velcro fastening Albion wallet and said, "put that away son, I'll get these, don't get that out again'.
      #CODNER
      shut up and listen to 'Guided By Voices'

6 Not allowed!
      Sounds like a film script in the making.

Russell The Hooligan Seagull staring Russell Crowe and a host of NSCs finest

Quotes

BG - Not bad, but can he play left back
      Tier 3 fans - I've seen the film 8 times and still no loyalty points
      On the BHA rollercoaster Icy Gull's Avatar

4 Not allowed!
      He's a Leeds fan, why didn’t he just go to Elland Road if he wanted racism and nastiness?
      Falmer, concrete proof that if you build it they will come
      Longing for retirement. AmexRuislip's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      "We went back to Brighton to watch Brighton & Hove Albion in a play-off against Millwall. The match was ugly, the crowd uglier and to Crowe’s delight there was a pitch invasion. We stood in the middle of the Brighton fans celebrating, with Crowe recording every obscenity and chant so he could take it all back Down Under with him. It’s all in the preparation. "

Sounds like a scene from Gladiator, Lions Den and all that!

11 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
      The match was ugly, the crowd uglier
      Fair enough the crowd might've been ugly, but the match?

I have great memories of that day – Mark Barham lashing home an equaliser just before halftime, and then the incredible, almost surreal, start to the second half, when we seemed to score every other minute. I still have a mental image of glancing over to the Millwall fans as Robert Codner ran onto Mike Small's flick, and laughing as they visibly seethed with despair – you just knew he was about to slot home a fourth goal, it was a unforgettable 20 minutes of football.
      "These were, I have to say, quite easily the ugliest people I have ever seen in my life, and I've been to Selhurst Park when Crystal Palace are at home."

Charlie Connelly, 'Attention All Shipping: a Journey round the Shipping Forecast'; published by Abacus Books, 2004, page 94.