Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 3rd Best Football Player in the World

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
PSG is owned by people with so much money that £200m has no consequence to them. I think I'm right in saying that £200m was the amount needed to trigger a release clause so that is what they paid. I dare say if it had been £250m, they'd have paid that also.

I know you've been around the block long enough to know that price paid, value to the club and player worth are often entirely separate entities. Compare and contrast what we paid for Gary Hart and CMS compared with the relative contributions they made to the club. Or even someone like Peter Ward at Brighton or Zaha at Palace. Both players are respective club legends and worth their weight in gold to both clubs but both went for big money transfers and flopped.

I'm not sure there's any science at all to player transfer values, it's a bit like the housing market. It is what people are willing to pay and no more than that. It's all very subjective and Neymar went for such a huge amount that it would be unwise to use it as any kind of measure, it's just too much of an outlier.
Exactly. Cost vs value.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
PSG is owned by people with so much money that £200m has no consequence to them. I think I'm right in saying that £200m was the amount needed to trigger a release clause so that is what they paid. I dare say if it had been £250m, they'd have paid that also.

I know you've been around the block long enough to know that price paid, value to the club and player worth are often entirely separate entities. Compare and contrast what we paid for Gary Hart and CMS compared with the relative contributions they made to the club. Or even someone like Peter Ward at Brighton or Zaha at Palace. Both players are respective club legends and worth their weight in gold to both clubs but both went for big money transfers and flopped.

I'm not sure there's any science at all to player transfer values, it's a bit like the housing market. It is what people are willing to pay and no more than that. It's all very subjective and Neymar went for such a huge amount that it would be unwise to use it as any kind of measure, it's just too much of an outlier.

Its beyond obscene how can a single player be worth the same as 3 or 4 new stadiums

SeagullRic

Jan 13, 2008
brighton
Answers for these type of questions always tend to go for forwards. Kevin De Bruyne has to be in contention, Sergio Busquets and Leonardo Bonucci aren't far behind.

Agree with the sentiment but Bonucci is having an absolute shocker at the moment after moving to
Milan in the summer, really struggling to replicate his form without Chiellini alongside him and playing in a back 4 rather than a 3. Before this season I'd have had him right up there but definitely not at the moment!

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Colin Hawkins

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
LEWES Dunk or BURNO

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Considering the EPL is regarded by so many intelligenté as a NOT the greatest league in the world one assumes the third best player HAS to come from La Liga or the German MTL.

As indeed must the 4th, 5th. 6th...........

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Think Modric and Kroos deserve a shout. Outstanding players.

Obviously De Bruyne is the best in the premier league at the moment so he's definitely up there.

Speaking of City players, Sane will be talked about like that soon, frightening player.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Since he left England haven't really seen him play but Suarez would have been my choice a while ago.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Some contenders?

Prem:
Kevin De Bruyne

Ligue 1
Neymar

Bundesliga
Tough one. No one outstanding talent in my mind. If James Rodriguez can rediscover his form at Bayern then maybe him?

Italy:
Mauro Icardi/ Paolo Dybala - Both of those are INSANELY good strikers.

Spain:
Isco (wonderful to watch)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
So good that he's gone to the French league to test himself. Don't pay attention to the media so much.

I'd rather have Aguero or Kane and probably a few others if I thought about it more.

Wise words. Like say, Gareth Bale, Neymar is almost certainly in the world's top 10 players, but I agree with you that he's probably not third best. If I was forced to choose, it would be between De Bruyne, Kane, Isco and of course Wilfred Zaha.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
The greatest players are always going to be considered attacking. Therefore, in protest, I'm selecting Toby Alderweireld. Considering Real Madrid are rumoured to be putting in a huge bid. I haven't seen any better defenders.

Midfield wise, I'd pick Modric as the best.

Upfront wise, I'd pick Suarez.

PS obviously not including the 2 best in Messi and Ronaldo.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here