Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] How do you do?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
"I'm good" makes perfect sense and is grammatically correct.

It might be. But it's no answer to 'would you like a cup of tea?' which is when I get it from the younger generation in my office. What does, 'I'm good' mean in relation to that? (generally, it means 'no thanks). I must admit to getting irritated by 'I'm good' as a response to various questions - I do sometimes retort along the lines of something like 'isn't that for us to judge, not yourself?'

Anyway - with regard to How do you do; " 'Ow Do?" (with a nod of the head) is quite a common greeting when out in the countryside up here - and a good way of greeting grumpy farmers. Who usually respond with "What're you on with now then?"

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
It might be. But it's no answer to 'would you like a cup of tea?' which is when I get it from the younger generation in my office. What does, 'I'm good' mean in relation to that? (generally, it means 'no thanks). I must admit to getting irritated by 'I'm good' as a response to various questions - I do sometimes retort along the lines of something like 'isn't that for us to judge, not yourself?'

Would "I'm OK, thanks" be a suitable response?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Would "I'm OK, thanks" be a suitable response?

Probably, yes!! - even though it is arguably also an Americanism as well, and with a similar meaning. It's that subtle isn't it. But 'I'm OK' just doesn't have the behavioural connotations that 'I'm good' has. I think my problem with 'I'm good' isn't that it is an Americanism, it just that it always seems to me to be a comment on moral character rather than a response to a query about health or thirstiness!

However, the English language is fabulous, and it's constant changes like this that keeps it so.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Really ? :shrug: When i ask any of my children questions like, you do want a cup of tea they respond with "i'm good". :wozza:

The correct grammatical response is "no Thank you"

My reply was regarding using "I'm good" to mean "I'm well".

But anyway, yes, saying I'm good to mean no thanks is fine. English has a descriptive grammar. "Rules" are governed by common usage. If people are saying it, it's grammatically correct.

Thecoffeecake

Oct 10, 2017
Philadelphia
Ayyy, ahwar ya?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here