Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] So... the English centre backs

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Stones and Maguire were yes Gomez is young and Jones was until going off injured. I would think on tonights display and this was without Keane Smalling and Cahill he would have dropped to about 7th or 8th choice at the best.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Difficult to say based on one friendly match. Nobody is as in form as he is a true the moment though.

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
Stones and Maguire were yes Gomez is young and Jones was until going off injured. I would think on tonights display and this was without Keane Smalling and Cahill he would have dropped to about 7th or 8th choice at the best.
Hate to agree with BG but he is almost right. Stones and Maguire were pretty damn good tonight... would "one of our own" be better. But whichever way you come at it...Lewis deserves the chance to try. I can't see anyone else in an English shirt who can ping 60/70 yard balls like our man but is he ready yet?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

So, you have no room in your heart for Dunk being an English international? Apart from that fantastic header off the line from Stones what did he do? Also, do you not feel there is something of a closed shop for England under Southgate? He only uses his boys from the Under 21 days?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I must admit, Stones was different gravy tonight. Some of his passing out from the back, at times under pressure, was truly excellent. His weight of pass was spot on.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have room in my heart for Dunk but my head tells me that there are others who are better and more exprienced in the Premier than him. It is just unfortunate for him that CB is one of our best served positions.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I must admit, Stones was different gravy tonight. Some of his passing out from the back, at times under pressure, was truly excellent. His weight of pass was spot on.

As with Maguire and I must have got mixed up as I thought that it was Jones that headed it off the line but must admit wasnt watchuing it that closely.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Sorry, I seriously disagree with most, yes I am biased without a shadow of doubt, but did Stones or anyone else (I forget their names they are that brilliant) have done any better than our own?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Sorry, I seriously disagree with most, yes I am biased without a shadow of doubt, but did Stones or anyone else (I forget their names they are that brilliant) have done any better than our own?

He's good Dunk, obviously, but he's played 11 games in the top flight. He's only played twice against the top 6. He's great, he possibly is good enough, sure, but I'd really hope that an England manager wouldn't just choose players based on a good 10-game spell, whoever they play for.

Southgate obviously has a policy of picking players that are involved in champions league football, because he wants them battle-hardened, plus youngsters who he has seen at u-21 level and understands their potential. Whether or not this is a good policy time may tell, but its fair enough to do that. Plus, there's a World Cup round the corner, its not really a time in taking a hunch on a player who's played all but 11 games of his career outside the top flight.

Dunk will get his chance once he's moved to a big-6 club. If he's still with us this time next year then maybe then. Get the WC out of the way first

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Only seen the highlights but Harry Maguire looked good, particularly with the way he brings the ball out of defence. Less so sometimes defensively. I'm not sure if that's annoying or not, as a World Cup call would only increase the prospect of Dunk not being an Albion player next season and/or leave him knackered for us when he gets back.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Dunk shouldn't want inclusion in an awful England side that has 3 CBs, which he isn't used to, and no wingers for him to ping a 60 yard pass to. His time will come but he could've destroyed his chances had he played last night

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
He's good Dunk, obviously, but he's played 11 games in the top flight. He's only played twice against the top 6. He's great, he possibly is good enough, sure, but I'd really hope that an England manager wouldn't just choose players based on a good 10-game spell, whoever they play for.

Southgate obviously has a policy of picking players that are involved in champions league football, because he wants them battle-hardened, plus youngsters who he has seen at u-21 level and understands their potential. Whether or not this is a good policy time may tell, but its fair enough to do that. Plus, there's a World Cup round the corner, its not really a time in taking a hunch on a player who's played all but 11 games of his career outside the top flight.

Dunk will get his chance once he's moved to a big-6 club. If he's still with us this time next year then maybe then. Get the WC out of the way first

This. Very smart post. I always like to analyse a position by considering the opposite. So, Southgit picks as you describe. The opposite? Don Revie! He selected England players almost at radom like his decision had been made by looking at the football equivalent of the Argos catalogue (with pages for positions rather than household commodities). Quite bizarre for a bloke who had picked 11 out of 14 for ten years! So, OK, fair enough - I guess he's doing what makes sense.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I'm not sure if that's annoying or not, as a World Cup call would only increase the prospect of Dunk not being an Albion player next season

I'd be very surprised if Dunk is still an Albion player next season. Even if we were to stay up, he would, I think, be an attractive target for one of the 'bigger' clubs and from his own point of view he would see such a move as a stepping stone for his International call up prospects post the Russia World Cup.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Maguire played an excellent through ball in the first minute. Yes it was to their centre forward but it was a fine pass. Jones did indeed head one off the line but that was because he lost his man and did not have pace to catch him and was lucky not to give a pen giving him a shove. Fortunately he had the sense to get back on the line when the German took ages to shoot. Gomez was poor. He does not play centre back for Liverpool.

Stones was very good.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
They’re all much better than Dunk , he can now continue to be that lucky defender who plays for Brighton the team that everybody should have beaten easily .

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
Keep an eye on James Tarkowski - getting rave reviews and his passing is much better than Michael Keane's.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here