Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Beatles stuff on BBC 4 tonight

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Bloody Hell! Now I've heard everything! Only common factor is two guitars, bass and drums.........so just the same as, well, nearly everybody really, apart from the few that have a keyboard, or manage with just one guitarist.

That really isn't the only common factor. I'm not saying they sound that much like Slade, they just sound more like them than The Beatles.

The Oasis-Beatles thing is a myth. But even if it was true, what's wrong with sounding similar to the best there was and ever will be? Oasis, Beatles and Slade etc. all influence me when I write songs. There is no other way of writing pop/rock songs, they use the same formula.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Thanks for the heads up. For any Beatles fans they should give a listen to Giles Martin’s 50th anniversary remastering of the Sargent Pepper album, superb.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The Beatles were never a boy band. A group, yes, but boy band? You can't apply modern descriptions to something vintage.

I'm an original having got Love Me Do in 1962.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
That really isn't the only common factor. I'm not saying they sound that much like Slade, they just sound more like them than The Beatles.

The Oasis-Beatles thing is a myth. But even if it was true, what's wrong with sounding similar to the best there was and ever will be? Oasis, Beatles and Slade etc. all influence me when I write songs. There is no other way of writing pop/rock songs, they use the same formula.

Sorry, you're wrong. Slade were a fantastic band, and I loved them, but sounding - let alone having any influence- like The Beatles......oh, come on!

.............................and if you think there's only one formula for writing pop/rock songs, I hope for your sake you're not trying to make a living at it!

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I think the Beatles suffer from over exposure ala Led Zep in the heavy rock world. If you empty your mind of press informed preconceptions and the fact you've heard it all somewhere before and indeed many times after... well... they were and remain astoundingly brilliant.

I prefer my cup of tea darker for sure, yet there is undoubtedly something of an unstoppable force in their music. Sure you don't have to like it, but surely most can appreciate that some key stitches that hold modern music together we're surely sewn by Lennon et al.

A tapestry of delights indeed.

Free your mind.

Last edited:

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Sorry, you're wrong. Slade were a fantastic band, and I loved them, but sounding - let alone having any influence- like The Beatles......oh, come on!

.............................and if you think there's only one formula for writing pop/rock songs, I hope for your sake you're not trying to make a living at it!

Cheers, but if I was going to take advice, it would be from the people that have heard my songs, mainly my producers. Pop/rock songs have the same formula...that's why they are pop/rock songs.

The bands mentioned were all great pop/rock bands, and masters of that formula in my opinion.

Give me 10 Oasis songs that sound like The Beatles.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Quite a few on here are.

I don't think Oasis sound like The Beatles. They probably sound more like Slade.

I suspect Noddy Holder and Jimmy Lee big Beatles fans.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I think the Beatles suffer from over exposure ala Led Zep in the heavy rock world. If you empty your mind of press informed preconceptions and the fact you've heard it all somewhere before and indeed many times after... well... they were and remain astoundingly brilliant.

I prefer my cup of tea darker for sure, yet there is undoubtedly something of an unstoppable force in their music. Sure you don't have to like it, but surely most can appreciate that some key stitches that hold modern music together we're surely sewn by Lennon et al.

A tapestry of delights indeed.

Free your mind.

Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream

SicilianHungary

Dec 5, 2015
Have never been blown away by a Beatles tune.

1z7c8s.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here