Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Which of these 5 strikers would you be interested in?

Which of these strikers would you be interested in? [Multiple Choice]

• Leigh Griffiths

Votes: 39 16.7%
  • Aleksandar Mitrovic

Votes: 19 8.2%
  • Gary Hooper

Votes: 8 3.4%
  • Leonardo Ulloa

Votes: 35 15.0%
  • Danny Ings

Votes: 95 40.8%
  • None of them

Votes: 82 35.2%

• Total voters

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You'd like to think so, but judging by the amount of teams who 'just need a striker', I'm far less confident.

In the Summer the Albion appeared to be second from bottom of 'striker transfer chain' with 2 or 3 other bigger deals needing to happen in order to free up the targeted player. (Adone instantly springs to mind).

Unless they go for another very rough diamond, which seems less likely if the club can maintain it's current lofty position, then I don't see a deal being 'all but done' until others are made.

I agree. Everton, CP, Southampton, WBA, Stoke, Newcastle are all crying for a proven, regular finisher.

But I'm hoping that TB/PB/Winstanley have someone as good as agreed, ready to sign on 1st Jan.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ings is a proven sick note. Ulloa would be great. Not heard of the other three.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Porto's Moussa Marega please... if it's true we made a bid for him pre-season, as was claimed in the media overseas.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
For a team with no strikers, we've done surprisingly well to find people to score goals.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Ulloa as back up to GM if as suggested TH is sold in January and Ings if SB breaks down or as conmpetitiion to him.

TH won't be sold in January.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
At first sight it looks like a bit of bog-standard, not too much effort involved, journalism - but Ings on a half season loan (so long as Liverpool didn't want a fee, and covered part of his wages) might be interesting. The writer states Griffiths is valued at £2.5M; at that price might be worth a punt, but I very much doubt if Celtic would agree with that valuation!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
What not Barnes?
How about Zamora?
Maybe Micky Small can do a job?
Perhaps we could hold a seance and bring back Tommy Cook.

Oh and I'm in a pissy mood, so as much as the point stands, I apologise for being an arse.

I am in a pissy mood too. Cockwombles at work.

So, bring back Micky Adams and we can re-sign Chippy and, who knows? Lee Steele! (there's only one).

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
Looks like a list of over-hyped, over-paid journeymen. The type Blackburn would have bought to bankrupt the club.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Depends if Tomer Hemed stays in January.

If he leaves - which means we need to bring in 2 strikers - then the 2nd incoming could well be one of those.

Ings is too much of an injury risk, so of those Leo would be 1 of my 2 strikers to sign.

If Tomer stays... then just the 1 striker needed, and I doubt he's on that list.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
In what world are you living in?

2-3m doesn't get you a striker from the third division.

Griffiths is currently valued at £2.5million on Transfermarkt

From the article.

Oh and the idea you don't get a striker for 2-3m from the third division is a load of bollocks too. Omar Bogle cost 700k, Callum Wilson was 3 million, Vardy 1 million. That is just thinking of the first few that came to my head.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
This in spades. We''ll be aiming higher (I reckon any deal is probably 80% done already, no way TB/PB will allow another f***-up)

I hope you are right but think you are wrong on the last point.

Newcastle have Joselu who looks absolute pony, Saints (similar recruitment model to us insomuch that they seem to sign half decent players I've never heard of who Liverpool then buy) can't score goals and Forwards are overpriced. Like every other window I can remember, someone who can score is in demand. To that end, any forward worth thier salt will know they can get a deal off a number of clubs even before muggy West Ham guzump the deal in panic at the 11th hour and put them in the reserves. Signing Ulloa early being the exception to the rule.

I really hope we do early business but suspect we won't because we can't. That said, can't argue with how many Glenn and Tomor have scored in any case. From what I've seen of Janssen he's a Premier league version of Liam Dickinson at 25 million and we dodged a bullet. Some of these supposed super strikers are just a load of old overpriced shite.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
A fully fit and firing Danny Ings or Charlie Austin would do for me.

fully fit? love both players but unfortunately i don't think either will recover their former capability , no good being great but not playing. Griffiths , not cultured but will shake up the premier.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
All of those are bang average and no better than what we have. Danny Ings is the exception but he would be a huge risk in a 25 man squad given his injury record and as we know from the summer we take the medicals seriously. We don't sign players with glass legs with one notable exception (Sorry Bobby).

In any case, I very much doubt we are interested in any of them. They look like the lazy premier league signings made by clubs like West Ham 'He was good once, sign him up, give him 100K a week and hope he scores 20' Think James Chester to Villa for 10m, Joe Hart on 200K a week or Stuart Downing for 20m to Liverpool. Shithouse value the lot of them. Most of our signings need google - That's exactly how it should be if you are doing it right. Finding under priced bargains that Paul Merson can't pronounce not signing has beens after one last pay day

I imagine that prior to the last transfer window our recruitment team were typing g o o g l e very frequently indeed.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
All of those are bang average and no better than what we have. Danny Ings is the exception but he would be a huge risk in a 25 man squad given his injury record and as we know from the summer we take the medicals seriously. We don't sign players with glass legs with one notable exception (Sorry Bobby).

In any case, I very much doubt we are interested in any of them. They look like the lazy premier league signings made by clubs like West Ham 'He was good once, sign him up, give him 100K a week and hope he scores 20' Think James Chester to Villa for 10m, Joe Hart on 200K a week or Stuart Downing for 20m to Liverpool. Shithouse value the lot of them. Most of our signings need google - That's exactly how it should be if you are doing it right. Finding under priced bargains that Paul Merson can't pronounce not signing has beens after one last pay day

A-bloody-men.

Griffiths is an argumentative little shitweasel who beats up teams in the Monkey Tennis League and has an unfortunate tendency to get into grief whilst out on the lash. He likes being the big fish in the small pond, I'm sure, far too much so to risk failure in England.

Hooper is a tubby Championship striker who's in and out of a failing Sheffield Wednesday :lolol: side

Mitrovic is a lunatic, Geordie cult hero (i.e., he tries hard, goes mental when he scores, but doesn't actually do the business on a regular basis)

Ulloa- loved him at the time, but he's probably not what we're looking for at this level.

Ings is a maybe, but is about as proven at Premiership level as Baldock, and frankly, for the money he'd cost, I'd rather give Sam a chance if fit, and spend the cash on somebody else.

Hopefully the recruitment team have another little gem lined up that nobody, even renowned football expert Paul Merson, has heard of, to come in and do us proud (like, say, Ulloa back in the day, or Hemed have done).

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Griffiths is currently valued at £2.5million on Transfermarkt
Vardy 1 million. That is just thinking of the first few that came to my head.

Vardy, Bogle and Wilson signed for Championship teams though, not Premier League (Leicester, Wigan and Bournemouth).

If they were thought of at the time as being Premier League level, they'd have fetched far higher prices.

Also, Bogle has done sod all since, and Wilson has basically spent two years being injured.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here