Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast

Albion's best ever header of a ball

1 Not allowed!
    I can't remember if this has been done before but who is, in your opinion, Albion's best ever header? And if anyone feels like it subdividing that into forwards and defenders. I can't recall too many forwards who are as good at heading as Hemed and in defence it would have to be a toss-up between Eric Young, Steve Foster, Guy Butters and Shane Duffy.

For me, I really can't decide between Duffy and Butters. Duffy is obviously fresher in the memory but I can't ever recall an occasion when Butters lost a duel in the air. He had a knack of jumping late (or more often not at all), letting the opposition player make their move and then position his body so that he won the ball.
    My music blog: de-minimis music

• North Stand Chat

advertising

1 Not allowed!
      Cullip or Duffy in my lifetime.
      Seeing kids in the school or in the parks with Albion shirts instead of the big clubs and easy ones, that’s it. We have done it.

Inigo Calderon
      May 2016
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Ezequiel Schelotto.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by sheebo View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Cullip or Duffy in my lifetime.
      You rate Cullip better than Butters? I must admit, I hadn't really considered Cullip, what with him playing alongside Tank.

0 Not allowed!
      Danny Cullip didn't lose m/any.

Always remember Keith Dublin and was amazed how far he could head the ball.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Buzzer View Post
      I can't remember if this has been done before but who is, in your opinion, Albion's best ever header? And if anyone feels like it subdividing that into forwards and defenders. I can't recall too many forwards who are as good at heading as Hemed and in defence it would have to be a toss-up between Eric Young, Steve Foster, Guy Butters and Shane Duffy.

For me, I really can't decide between Duffy and Butters. Duffy is obviously fresher in the memory but I can't ever recall an occasion when Butters lost a duel in the air. He had a knack of jumping late (or more often not at all), letting the opposition player make their move and then position his body so that he won the ball.
      Butters was exactly as you describe, but I don’t recall many () full length diving headers of the type that Duffy seems to make every other game. A wonder to behold.
      6EQUJ5 2A
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Didn't one of the Brighton managers describe Sir Norman as the best header of the ball he'd seen?
      I reckon Duffy would have the beating of him though.

Best forward I've seen has to be Alex Dawson, he could smash the ball with his head (and take opposition with him as well, for good measure)
      Brevis esse laboro, obscurus fio

2 Not allowed!
      In terms of defenders I'd probably say Butters-Fozzie-Duffy in that order but could easily be convinced otherwise. Basically my memories of Fozzie are all rose tinted so I don't trust myself to be objective. Butters had the knack as you say of just getting it right every time, though I'm aware that Duffy is probably the greatest physical presence of them all.

Up top I'd say Ulloa in recent years is noteworthy due to his strange capacity for making the hardest headers (slow lofted balls, balls slightly behind him that he had to contort his body for, balls which required a huge snap of the neck) look easy.
      100% UNOFFICIAL WHC Statistician
      100% Honey Badgerista

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Goldstone1976 View Post
      Butters was exactly as you describe, but I don’t recall many () full length diving headers of the type that Duffy seems to make every other game. A wonder to behold.
      That header from the halfway line back to the keeper, last home game was a real collector's item.

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Buzzer View Post
      You rate Cullip better than Butters? I must admit, I hadn't really considered Cullip, what with him playing alongside Tank.
      I can't always remember what I did yesterday never mind 15 years ago so I dunno

I saw Butters play many a game but can't remember his heading much - apart from that winner at Upton Park where we went BATSHIT crazy, of course
      Seeing kids in the school or in the parks with Albion shirts instead of the big clubs and easy ones, that’s it. We have done it.

Inigo Calderon
      May 2016