Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Remembrance Day Ypres and Muster Green

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Brave story of the youngest soldier of WW1 - killed at Ypres aged just 14

PAY-The-grave-of-the-youngest-soldier-killed-in-WWI.jpg

Private 6322 John Condon was one of thousands of lads who lied about their age to fight for their country, he is recorded as the youngest soldier to die in the war.
In the corner of Poelcapelle cemetery is a grave standing out from the 6,544 other headstones for British soldiers who died near here in the First World War.
Most of the long rows of upright marble slabs that divide the perfectly manicured lawn are unadorned but this one – on Row F, Plot 56 - is surrounded by small wooden crosses decorated by poppies.
The crosses have been placed recently by British schoolchildren of the same age as the boy buried here a century ago – Private 6322 John Condon, aged 14…………….

More here, worth a read
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/real-life-stories/brave-story-youngest-soldier-ww1-3927739

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Watching the Festival of Remembrance from the Royal Albert Hall - very moving and humbling.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Watching the Festival of Remembrance from the Royal Albert Hall - very moving and humbling.

I'm biased, I know, but why do the British have the unique ability to pitch this perfectly in every single detail, every single time?

This single event above all others defines for me what it is to be British.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I'm very proud to know some of the ex-Wrens who were part of the 100 ladies, celebrating 100 years of women in the forces.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I'm biased, I know, but why do the British have the unique ability to pitch this perfectly in every single detail, every single time?

This single event above all others defines for me what it is to be British.

In his book The English, Jeremy Paxman moans about the lack of a national song that rouses the spirits of the nation but I think he's completely wrong. There is of course Jerusalem but he forgets the potency of war tunes like 'We'll Meet Again' and 'There Will Always Be an England'. They're now consigned to the history books but they were hugely important in the dark days of 1939 and 1940. And the tune that always brings a lump to my throat is "I Vow To Thee My Country". If that's not rousing then I don't know what is.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
... the tune that always brings a lump to my throat is "I Vow To Thee My Country". If that's not rousing then I don't know what is.

My favourite (if that is the right word) piece of music. That is the music I shall leave this world to, whenever that time comes.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I can't help but think when I watch events such as this that the Royal Albert Hall is just a perfect building.

Opened in 1871 - but never bettered, the world over. I can't imagine a venue like this ever being built these days. It somehow manages to capture intimacy and spectacular grandeur all at once. It really is a triumph of design that just wouldn't happen today.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
An old lady who lived opposite us when I was a lad previouly worked at the Royal Albert Hall and she told us that The Queen Mother used to always leave a £5 note in the saucer under her coffee cup after this event every year. There is obviously no way of proving one way or another now but she sounded genuine and truthful with nothing to gain by telling a fib.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
I watch this humbling event every year. I have relations that fought in the Boer war, A WW1 participant who became a founder member of the RFC via the CEF who arrived in Plymouth from Quebec (British by Birth), great grandfathers serving in WW1 RN and others who have served since. I also agree I Vow to thee my country is very emotional.

D

Deleted User X18H

My self and HB&B junior have stopped off at Subway on our way to the Old Steine

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Strictly speaking he was a Signaller attached to the Guards Armoured, spent his time listening to German communications but was often close enough to be sniped at, he didn't shoot at anyone himself which I wouldn't have enjoyed personally.

At least my Grandad (being a Gunner) had a 25 Pounder to make someone's day a bit worse...

My grandfathers brother was in the black watch and killed on active service on khyber pass. His name is on the war memorial outside the church at armitage bridge in Huddersfield. As all my late fathers close relations have gone, I have no idea about him at all. I seem a bit foolish contacting the army and asking about him where my knowledge is patchy and handed down tales.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
My grandfathers brother was in the black watch and killed on active service on khyber pass. His name is on the war memorial outside the church at armitage bridge in Huddersfield. As all my late fathers close relations have gone, I have no idea about him at all. I seem a bit foolish contacting the army and asking about him where my knowledge is patchy and handed down tales.

http://www.theblackwatch.co.uk

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/a/A13532431

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
On 17 October 1917 my great grandfather, John Trobe, wrote home to say "We are having a rest just now but I don't think we will be long before we are in the trenches again." At 11.00 a.m. on 18 October 1917 he was making ready with the Hallamshire Regiment to move to the front to relieve the 34th division at Passendaele. A plane dropped a bomb that killed/injured 50 men. He died the following day at Number 3 Australian CCS from catastrophic wounds and is buried at Nine Elms British Cemetery, Poperinghe, Belgium. RIP Great Granddad.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here