Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] The end of human kind as we know it by 2050

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Anyone else read the new Dan Brown book, Origin?

Some interesting theories and the main one is hard to shake off easily. The end of the Homo Sapien by 2050.

If true, and I can see the logic behind it, is this a good or bad
thing?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Is it to do with falling sperm count?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Anyone else read the new Dan Brown book, Origin?

Some interesting theories and the main one is hard to shake off easily. The end of the Homo Sapien by 2050.

If true, and I can see the logic behind it, is this a good or bad
thing?

So I read the review of Origin in the Guardian, because, well, you would wouldn't you, and is this the main theory that is hard to shake off..?

"here the human race is warned of its imminent redundancy, as machines with synthetic brains prepare to take control of us."

???

"As usual with Brown, the end of history approaches at high speed. The “reveal”, as they call it in Hollywood, is delayed for 400 pages, but I doubt that I’ll spoil anyone’s enjoyment if I disclose that it turns out to consist of gobbledegook about “nucleotides” and “obligate endosymbiosis”.

"Though his denouement piously drones on about the scientific amelioration of human ills and the need to replace warring religions with an all-purpose spirituality, Brown’s true aims are more devious and deviant. His cryptic hints about malevolent global forces ratchet up our anxiety; blending the testimony of actual scientists such as Hawking and Dawkins with his own dotty or loony inventions, he produces a mentally corrosive mixture of truth and falsehood. Why should we trust a writer who thinks that Spain has a president not a prime minister, and who spells one of his favourite adjectives “collosal”?

Here, to set beside the fake news that warps election results in what’s left of the real world, is a specimen of phoney fiction, expertly designed to confuse the credulous. Yes, Brown is a prophet, and a false one – a Nostradamus for our muddled, crazed and probably terminal times.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/oct/08/origin-dan-brown-review

Fun review to read that (*and yes, I get the irony about the Guardian complaining about spelling)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh blimey we don't have to wait that long, do we? :down:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Genuine thanks for that - I had been listening to the audiobook version (I got it free) and was bored shitless waiting for him to actually get round to revealing what the whole thing was about.

I'm normally a fan of his books - no great works of literature, but entertaining enough, but this one just didn't seem to grab me.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Fair point. March 29 2019 could well be the date...

:thumbsup: that's more like it.

I might go for American citizenship so I can vote Trump, #4moreyears, as a back up plan.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i enjoy Dan Brown writings as the works of fiction that they are. there's nothing real or accurate in them, this sounds like just so much scifi. why should this author be given such attention over dozens of other (better) in the field as some sort of soothsayer?

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Oh well, I've still got my Eagle and Roy of the Rovers annuals dated 1958, upstairs; I'll have a look and see what they predicted for the future.
Just as likely to be accurate.:lolol:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
At least the answer isn't The Bible.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Where have we come from? Where are we going?

Sounds much like "we're on our way......"

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
I enjoyed the freemasons one, the Last Symbol or whatever it was called. Surprised that hasn't been made into a flick.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here