Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Good Luck Norther Ireland

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
That's a dreadful, dreadful decision.

He's turned his back, I don't even think it's hit him on the arm.

Then the referee compounds his awful decision by booking the player who now misses the second leg.

Absolutely unbelievable.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
VAR system would have reversed that in 10 seconds. Whilst it would change the game forever, these sorts of howlers are just too important to leave to one human error.

C17BHA

Feb 24, 2009
Reality Check Needed Here

True enough it was not a penalty but let's not overlook the fact that N.Ireland were pants throughout the game. Thought the Swiss played very well and will stroll the second leg.

I have also never heard such a biased commentator as Gerry Armstrong. I know he is Northern Irish but he let himself down badly last night.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
True enough it was not a penalty but let's not overlook the fact that N.Ireland were pants throughout the game. Thought the Swiss played very well and will stroll the second leg.

Exactly. Amidst all the accusations of cheating and skullduggery that go on here whenever a bad (appalling) refereeing decision is made, what is lost is the fact that Switzerland were 100 times better than NI, and all NI did was park the bus. NI were absolute shite and Switzerland will win the second leg comfortably and I hope they do so that this one shocking decision doesn't decide the tie.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Different game if he sends their player off in the first few minutes, as he absolutely should have, then there's the penalty. Yes, Northern Ireland didn't deserved to in the game, but they should have been playing 10 men for 85 minutes after that horrible challenge, whilst NI were on the break.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Shiqira the winger who plays foir Stoke looked very good.

I remember watching an u21 tournament (2009 or 10) and Shaquiri was 19 or so and just on a different planet from everyone else. I honestly thought he was the next wonderkid. Unbelievable balance, strength and shot power. When he got his move to Bayern I was feeling rather smug that I called it......and then fast forward to 2017 and he is 26 and at STOKE.

Bizarre.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
ovidiu-hategan-a-murit-la-belfast-gluma-macabra-a-irlandezilor-dupa-ce-romanul-a-gresit-grav-ase.png

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Exactly. Amidst all the accusations of cheating and skullduggery that go on here whenever a bad (appalling) refereeing decision is made, what is lost is the fact that Switzerland were 100 times better than NI, and all NI did was park the bus. NI were absolute shite and Switzerland will win the second leg comfortably and I hope they do so that this one shocking decision doesn't decide the tie.

Indeed. Last night left me torn.

On one hand I would love to see NI there .....but then the purest in me actually enjoyed watching Switzerland play and believes they should be the team at a tournament which is meant to represent the best teams in the world.

Lichsteiner (runs all day) Rodriguez (the same), Xhaka (funny) Shaquiri (unpredictable), Zakaria (20 year old UNIT in midfield. Looks a brilliant prospect), Breel Emobolo (another exciting prospect)

Northern Ireland have Jamie Ward and Gareth McCauley....

Agreed, but they still only won 1-0 by that bizarre penalty decision and should have had a man sent off in the first couple of minutes.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Indeed. Last night left me torn.

On one hand I would love to see NI there .....but then the purest in me actually enjoyed watching Switzerland play and believes they should be the team at a tournament which is meant to represent the best teams in the world.

Lichsteiner (runs all day) Rodriguez (the same), Xhaka (funny) Shaquiri (unpredictable), Zakaria (20 year old UNIT in midfield. Looks a brilliant prospect), Breel Emobolo (another exciting prospect)

Northern Ireland have Jamie Ward and Gareth McCauley....

Listened to the game on the radio while driving and this guy's name was mentioned ROUGHLY every 20 seconds. He seemed to be EVERYWHERE.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Agreed, but they still only won 1-0 by that bizarre penalty decision and should have had a man sent off in the first couple of minutes.

And I don't get all this about a "certain" red card either. It clearly wasn't a nailed on red at all:

[tweet]928721201970733057[/tweet]

Mistimed and worthy of a card, sure. But if one of Albion's centre backs gets sent off for that sort of challenge five minutes in and we end up losing 1-0 any time soon, this board will go into meltdown FFS.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here