Chopped onion(s)
Canned chopped tomatoes
Finely diced red pepper
Sweet corn
Chilli powder to your taste
Jeera/Cumin, eg. 1.5 tablespoons per 750g of mince
Salt and Pepper
Scotch bonnets either finely diced or just punctured
Borlotti beans (none of that Kidney bean crap)
Knorr chicken stock pot
------
Basmati rice
Grated Mozzarella

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
We love a chilli in our house and I spent a while looking at a lot of recipes. The one that does it for us is by Thomasina Miers in her “Mexican food made simple” book. Slow cooked with slices of beef which are shredded before the end. But it is the mix of spices she uses which makes it so good. I don’t worry too much about getting the exact chilliest that she recommends as some are hard to get.

I remember Thomasina well, she was one of the early Masterchef winners. Come a long way since then, owning her own restaurants. Well done her.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
A point of order if I may...

Has anyone actually used the "con carne" suffix in the last 40 years or so?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Use stewing/braising steak rather than mince for starters, & sweet chilli sauce rather than normal chillis, takes longer to cook of course but a much deeper flavour.

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
All this makes me think of my father. He lived with us for a few years towards the end of his life, and cooking for him was always a challenge. He distrusted anyone or anything that came from outside these shores, and absolutely hated any of this foreign muck, as he put it.

Guess what his favourite food was? yep you guessed it, chilli con carne or spaghetti bolognese. Geography really wasn't his best subject.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Along with the usual I use thinly sliced celery, black pepper, brown sauce, coriander, thinly sliced red chillies, cornflour and soured cream, plus I mix the rice into it in the pan rather than serve the CCC on top of the rice.

Being a left wing vegetarian (the two aren't mutually exclusive) I use Quorn mince and a substitute for soured cream.

Good call on jalapeños above btw. Might have to try them in my next CCC.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Doesn't Oliver do that with his bolognese sauce?

He definitely adds coffee to his 'mountain meatballs' from the American book and that recipe is definitely in the realm of chilli con carne.

I'm not particularly one for hoying in chocolate as I agree with BG that it doesn't add anything. I love the beef cheek idea though. Only other thing I'd suggest is using a mixture of beef and pork.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Along with the usual I use thinly sliced celery, black pepper, brown sauce, coriander, thinly sliced red chillies, cornflour and soured cream, plus I mix the rice into it in the pan rather than serve the CCC on top of the rice.

Being a left wing vegetarian (the two aren't mutually exclusive) I use Quorn mince and a substitute for soured cream.

I can perfectly understand you using Quorn mince being a vegetarian, but do you need to use it being left wing too?

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Cumin, coriander, paprika, beef Oxo cube, tiny bit of garlic and black pepper for seasoning. Onion but no mushrooms or peppers. Couple of chillies (depending how hot you like it) and dark chocolate. Kidney beans go in as late as possible and I don't even start the rice until that's all cooked so it can sit and simmer for a while.

I use Quorn mince and a substitute for soured cream.

fd03ad5f77951f3e08cae47d8b7bb72ef78e3b64505628c9cd1f3bac751ec3a2.jpg

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here